Hauling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MPH

Hi all, I am currently in the market for a toy hauler and looking for input on what truck is adequate enough to pull it. I currently have a 2015 Chevy HD 2500 4x4 and plan on adding Timberen springs. Will this truck do the job?
Thanks for your input!

I am going to chirp in here that, in addition to all of the great towing advise I received here before buying: reading our tow vehicle owner's manual made picking out our trailer SO much easier. It gave the weight I could tow for each package, the total weight that my vehicle can carry, the maximum weight of tow vehicle and trailer combined, and the allowed square footage of the front of the trailer being towed. I ended up feeling comfortable buying a trailer that weighs half of the towing capacity of my tow vehicle, and I'm glad I did.

Last edited:
To make any sort of positive suggestions we would need way more information. Timbres will not add one ounce to your towing capacity. How much does your truck weigh loaded ready to travel? That must include full fuel tank, family, tools, firewood, or anything else you would normally carry subtract that scaled weight from the trucks GVWR. That is how much cargo capacity you have left over for hitch weight. Is this a TT? Then use 15% of the trailers GVWR. Is this a fifth wheel? Then use 25% of the trailers GVWR. Toy haulers are notoriously tongue/pin heavy thus the increase percentages

You don't have anywhere near enough info to answer the question. Need to identify the max tow rating and Payload (Cargo Capacity) of your specific truck, the max gross weight of the prospective trailer (use the trailer GVWR as an estimate), and whether the toy hauler will be a 5W or a bumper-pull type (vastly different load on the truck).

Start by finding the vehicle tire & payload stickers on the door post. Then look up the truck configuration in the 2015 Chevy Tow Guide to learn the max tow and GCWR (combined trailer and truck max). Then get GVWR data from some trailers that interest you and compare to the trucks ratings.

MPH you've received great advice. To make it easier for you to calculate, use this online weight calculator to properly and safely match a tow vehicle and trailer, whether it be a 5th wheel trailer or bumper-pull travel trailer. This calculator offers a user the option to select the standard 20% safety factor many full-timers use.
NEVER use the unloaded trailer weight unless that is how you plan to go camping-with an empty trailer.

I have a 2021 XLR Nitro 321 (12,300 empty) that I am currently pulling with a 2002 2500 Duramax. with tow/haul Bullydog chip, oversized transmission pan, 7500 Air Ride bags at 60# and upgraded tires to 3415# each. Recent 1,000 mile trip was as follows: Elevations ranged from 3,800 to 7,500 ft. Highway and interstate routes, 60 to 70 MPH, temps from 38 degrees to 75 degrees. Trans temp never above 210, engine temp never above 210. EGT temp never above 1200 except on a couple of occasions where it briefly hit 1300 on a hard pull. Had some typical NM crosswinds that were noticeable along with some atrocious roads, but did not feel out of control. The way my truck is equipped with the tires and air bags I feel that I am equal to the 2002 3500 SRW counterpart. My truck is rated to tow 15,500 in stock configuration. Stock rear weight rating is 6084 with tires being the limiting factor, so with upgraded tires I am 6800. It is rated for 22,000 total weight in stock configuration. The weight on the rear axle of my truck empty is 3100 with hitch, fuel tools and me. Total weight of the truck is 7,300 empty. I am sure that I am over in some categories just like most are that are pulling big trailers on single rear wheels. I don't usually pull long distances or very frequently so for the time being I am comfortable with what I have.
Part of the answer to you question will depend on what trailer you plan to get. I specifically limited myself to under 13,000 dry (stayed as close to 12,000 as I could) and 38"' long. Not really my wife's choice, but it was what I felt more comfortable with.
Will your truck do the job??? Yes. Will you be beyond ratings? Probably. Will there be pucker factor? Possibly.
I just drove from New Mexico to Tulsa Ok. on I-40, not with the trailer, and to pass the time I compared tow vehicles that were towing big 5th wheels. My unscientific calculation was that about 60% were being towed with SRW vehicles. Not able to tell whether they were 1/2, 3/4 ton or 1 ton.
I realize this does not make it good practice and I am not recommending it. Just telling you what my personal experience is. In reality I would guess that some of the rigs that are being pulled need a truck bigger than even a 1 ton DRW plus appropriate licensing in many states.

Last edited:
You are not equal to a 1ton, sorry tires or airbags do nothing to change the weight rating on your truck no trailer is towed empty and that 12,300 doesnt include batteries or propane or the weight of a genny dry its got a pin of 2500lbs which is maxing out most 2500s payload capacity of course there are exceptions. What does your payload decal state here is mine

Attachments

• 20210307_112007.jpg
    20210307_112007.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 2
Did not say it changed the rating. Capacity and rating are 2 different things. The only difference between a SRW 3500 and a 2500 is a leaf spring. Tires are the weak link so an upgrade in tires and air bags in lieu of a spring definitely changes capacity. Not factory rating, but it does change actual capacity. No change in legal rating and I made that clear in my original post. I made very clear that my rig was on the edge, I just offered my experiences. Now you can pick at every post that I make if it makes you happy, but it doesn't change anything.

Good "real world" review from @Bill Nourse ... although with all that upgrading you did to your 3/4 ton, you might as well have just gotten a 1 ton. ;) That's what I decided to do (+ dually) when I bought our truck for a future fifth wheel, and it's a pretty nice feeling knowing I won't have to worry much about my tow vehicle capability.

@steveblonde I think he's comparing that era of 3/4 ton SRW vs. 1 ton SRW with the Duramax diesel. From what I've read they had the same rear end and there wasn't a lot of difference between the two after factoring in tires. (EDIT: I see he commented on the leaf spring distinction.)

I have mixed feelings on chips and aftermarket tuning with diesels. A lot of guys do it, and there seems to be a lot of air/fuel/turbo issues that come up too. From the forum reading I do on a couple truck boards, anyway.

Good "real world" review from @Bill Nourse ... although with all that upgrading you did to your 3/4 ton, you might as well have just gotten a 1 ton. ;) That's what I decided to do (+ dually) when I bought our truck for a future fifth wheel, and it's a pretty nice feeling knowing I won't have to worry much about my tow vehicle capability.

@steveblonde I think he's comparing that era of 3/4 ton SRW vs. 1 ton SRW with the Duramax diesel. From what I've read they had the same rear end and there wasn't a lot of difference between the two after factoring in tires. (EDIT: I see he commented on the leaf spring distinction.)

I have mixed feelings on chips and aftermarket tuning with diesels. A lot of guys do it, and there seems to be a lot of air/fuel/turbo issues that come up too. From the forum reading I do on a couple truck boards, anyway.
The upgrading I did was over a period of time as I felt I needed it. At the time I got the truck a short bed was not available in a 3500 not to mention. I did not have the need at the time. Any new upgrades will certainly be to 1 ton. Right now I don't pull long enough or far enough.

Scott you are correct

Did not say it changed the rating. Capacity and rating are 2 different things. The only difference between a SRW 3500 and a 2500 is a leaf spring. Tires are the weak link so an upgrade in tires and air bags in lieu of a spring definitely changes capacity. Not factory rating, but it does change actual capacity. No change in legal rating and I made that clear in my original post. I made very clear that my rig was on the edge, I just offered my experiences. Now you can pick at every post that I make if it makes you happy, but it doesn't change anything.
Im not picking on you lol too many people think adding airbags means you can pull the world and if you add 5000lb bags youve increased payload by 5000lbs thats all

Im not picking on you lol too many people think adding airbags means you can pull the world and if you add 5000lb bags youve increased payload by 5000lbs thats all
And where did I even imply that? Do you even read the posts? Same with my thread about the Forest River. You've done nothing but try to prove me wrong or lying.

Back
Top Bottom