Have You Written A "Living Will" ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve CDN

Recent developments in the news have emphacised the importance of writing a living will.? A living will is a document that outlines one's wishes with regard to medical treatment options and care in the event of specific situations when you would not be able to express your wishes due to inability to communicate, such as a stroke or serious accident.

Every State in the U.S. and Province in Canada has specific requirements as to what a living will must contain in order to be valid.

As RV travellers,? we are even more vulnerable because we travel from one egal jurisdiction to another, with our RV usually as a couple.? In the event of a serious acciden where both are injured and cannot communicate with medical personnel, it is important this information be available.

The purpose of this discussion is to explore the various ways we can prepare for such eventualities, in making a living will, where to store it for easy access.?

How can we, as RV travellers ensure our wishes will be respected, regardless of where we travel?

Please confine the discussion to the topic at hand, and refrain from drifting into religious or political issues connected with any current cases in the news, which is outside the scope of the RV Forum.

We do have living wills but based on actions being take now as covered in the recent media, I have absolutly no confidence that our wishes will be followed.

It would seem that to ensure one's wishes are respected, a document has to be written that would be recognized in all jurisdictions.  Does anyone have information or experience in how to prepare such a document?

Steve said:
It would seem that to ensure one's wishes are respected, a document has to be written that would be recognized in all jurisdictions.? Does anyone have information or experience in how to prepare such a document?

Unless you happen to be in Florida. :(
Supposably ones wishes are to be respected in anyplace in the US providing the  living will is properly set up in any state.  However recent events have caused me to seriously question this. 

Steve said:
It would seem that to ensure one's wishes are respected, a document has to be written that would be recognized in all jurisdictions.? Does anyone have information or experience in how to prepare such a document?

Steve,
I think the only way to be sure is to consult with an attorney who specializes in living wills. Those of us who are military or retired miltary may have access to a military lawyer who may be able to help with a document that is "legal" in all states since military people frequently travel and move.

In any event, you brought up a good point. I've been putting off this living will thing for much too long.

Tim and I have established a Trust with power of attorney and a medical directive for each of us, individually.  After the recent news event, we are very glad we have this set up.  However, this discussion has me thinking that we need some card in our wallets with information saying that we have that sort of thing in place; and possibly our son's phone number who is the executor of the Trust.  Especially, if something should happen that incapacitates<sp?> both of us.  Hummmm?

Also, our friends are joining us at Moab and he's the attorney who set up our Trust.  I'll ask him if he would take questions at one of our happy hours.  Don't hold me to this, it may not be something he wants to do on a vacation.... ;D

Marsha~

Marsha

Be sure to let us know if you're able to twist your friend's arm. That sure could be helpful to a lot of folks.

Marsha,

Some financial institutions like a Trust Company or similar professional executor for their estate may provide an ID card with their toll free number, which one carries in their wallet, to be called in the event of emergency.

It is also a good idea to carry your living will documents as well as copies of your medical history, recent diagnostic tests, dental X-Rays and perhaps even your will in the RV in an easy to access location.  Instructions can be carried in your wallet and/or information about the location of your documents can be shared with trusted traveling companions or close family.

We never know where or when tragedy can occur and taking these precautions in advance, particularly for travelers can save time and grief for all concerned.

Here are two resources that can provide examples and directives on setting up a valid living will.

In the U.S. for State specific living will wording, visit LEGALDOCS

In Canada, for a living will that can be tailored to conform to the requirements of each Province, visit U of T Center for Bio-Ethics

On additional aspect of this discussion is who has the document. In it you have designated an agent to make your health decisions and this has some alternates, like you children, if say your spouse is not capable.

In our area we have have two court cases where this document was given to the hospital and people, not  doctors, made some medical decisions based on their interpertation of the the document and was not what the family or the document said.

So the advise I was given by our attorney who prepared it was there is no reason to give copies of this to your doctor or hospital in advance. There will be plenty of time if  that need arises.

I tested this a couple of times. I went in for routine colon exam and the day before when registering the person at the hospital was very pushy, saying do you have a medical directive. I said yes and she said we will need a copy in the files before tomorrow! I told here I did not give this out and my wife will have it if any serious situtation comes about. She acted like I was the first person who ever refused!  Another time for a shoulder operation they asked and I said who had it and they said fine and made an notation in the record.

{{additional aspect of this discussion is who has the document}}

Very good point.  Would the legal requirements regarding one's own physician be met by placing an authorization in your history file with your physician so the physician can release information in the event of emergency?

Howdy, Y'all.

We have Advanced Directives(for health care) for Jack. Now I am in need of such a document. Here is where I found information:
http://www.partnershipforcaring.org
Advanced Directives names a person who will act as your surrogate in health matters if you are incapacitated and can't make decisions regarding medical treatment, etc. Next thing is to work on the Living Will.

Regards,
Liz

I just read through mine and it does not show a personal physican. It does say in the fine print on back that you may want to give a copy of this document to other family members and you physican.

I don 't really have a personal physican as such who makes all my medical decisions. I have a family doctor I see but also have VA and use that for many of my medical needs. My insurance does not require me to go through any family doctor when getting speciialized services although we rely on his judgement in who he recommends.

In California this document is known as Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care Decisions.

We had living wills and durable power of attorney prepared.  A copy has been placewd inside a envelopes and given to each of our three children to be opened if we become incapacitated.  Sam & I  each have the originals on board on board.  We will be giving our doctors in Lewistown a copy to place in our records.  Hopefully this will cover all bases.

A year or two ago, Marlene and I had new wills, Powers of Attorney and Living Wills drawn up. I copied the originals into our computer and have them on file there. Our kids got CDs with copies. Our attorney has a set, a set is in our safe deposit box and another set is in our personal papers drawer in our file cabinet. I still don't have a warm feeling about some dingbat in a hospital or state/federal government contravening our stated wishes.

I still don't have a warm feeling about some dingbat in a hospital or state/federal government contravening our stated wishes.

You and me both Bernie with the BS going on in Fl.  Makes one wonder.

Liz

The url you referred to:  http://www.partnershipforcaring.org  is a dead link, and seems to no longer exist.  Do you have an updated address?

Steve said:
Liz

The url you referred to:  http://www.partnershipforcaring.org  is a dead link, and seems to no longer exist.  Do you have an updated address?

Wow, you are correct!! And I just obtained information from that site just about 3 days ago. I am sorry about that. I did a Google search on Advanced Directives.

Regards,
Liz

Back
Top Bottom