Hawking HWL2 WiFi Antenna/Booster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UK-RV

Hawking HWL2 WiFi Antenna/Booster - PAYPAL

Hi Guys

I feel a little cheeky asking this but here goes....

Ive been trying to order the HWL2 (as shown at http://tinyurl.com/ejzg4).

My problem is that I have a UK PayPal account and US sellers are wary of selling to non-US account holders, especially with delivery to US addresses - like campgrounds.

Ive tried emailing the ebay sellers to explain our situation and they often say No Problem - only for there to be a problem after all.

After spending the last 6 weeks on this, Ive come to the conclusion Im getting nowhere.

So - is there anyone out there with a PayPal account who would accept my money and then order the HWL2 to be delivered to a future CG for me please ?

Paul

Once you get back to the lower 48 States try CompUSA. They have it for $69.99. on the website, click "In-Store" and click "Check Store Availability". Then enter your current zipcode. If more than 50 miles "click here" again.

Looks like the nearest to you....Webern CompUSA Superstore
Webern, MA 01801-2115? (781) 937-0600? which is 228 Miles from Bangor, Maine. The computer store is nationwide and excellent store/stock finder. Do call for stock to make sure.

Thanks for that !

I had actually been to the website before, but didn't think to click the link when it stated there were no stores local to me.

Im planning a diversion in our route as I type.

Good idea of phoning to ensure stock availability - Ive been caught by that one before.

Thanks again.

Paul

Just a quick update on the HWL2 that I got from CompUSA.....

......as soon as I get the chance, it's going back to CompUSA for a refund !

It has proven to be a complete nightmare.

I installed the software without problem and my laptop recognised the hardware.

However, when I was on the internet, the HWL2 would just vanish from my laptop and I would have to reinstall everything - the same thing happened every time I powered the laptop on.

I removed my existing wifi drivers etc but still no improvement - and having removed the old stuff I couldn't compare whether the HWL2 actually did boost the wifi signal or not.

Ive now had to restore my laptop to a previous restore point to bring my old driver back.

I contacted Hawking Tech who were completely useless - their email support consisted of a one line question to which I would immediately reply and then have to wait a day for the next one line question or suggestion. In the end all they could suggest was trying the HWL2 on someone elses machine.

I thought I would provide an update just in case anyone had thought of buying one.

Paul

UK-RV said:
Just a quick update on the HWL2 that I got from CompUSA.....

......as soon as I get the chance, it's going back to CompUSA for a refund !

It has proven to be a complete nightmare.

Don't feel bad. I have gone thru 2 HWL2s. First returned to factory and I got a new one. Second worked for a while and then acted up. Didn't bother to mess with the tech support from India again so I went and bought a cheap Belkin PCMCIA card. It works great. Don't believe I will ever buy another Hawking product.

At the Escapees Fall Escapade a rep from their WIFI provider recommended a Senao adapter because they put put 10 times the power of normal WIFI???? I use a Hawkings HWU8DD with great results and have never heard of Senao but the tec support is reported to be good.

In any event here is the Senao he recommended that can be hooked to an external antenna.

I purchased a Hawking HWL2 WiFi Locator Professional Edition.  It works great.  I use Windows XP, and you don't see it on the desktop except for the reduced icon on the bottom right of the screen.  Right click on the icon, and it opens up, otherwise, it works in the background.

why use an antenna booster?  I use a Linksys WRT54G with High gain antennas and have been able to get broadband anywhere I have gone using the WRT54G as an access point that is connected wirelessly to an open router, the next thing to try (if you are a tinkerer) is use a cantenna hooked to your wifi card.  Just google "cantenna" and you will get their site, an empty bean can works too, but don't use a pringles can or other tubular cans made of paper with a foil coating inside them, the foil doesn't work well.

The WRT54G can run linux and their are a multitude of firmwares available for it that give it a billion more options than the stock.  Linksys uses their own OS on the WRT54G but they also sell a WRT54GL with linux on it.  you can hack the regular version to run linux.

Keep in mind that if it is a hotspot it's legal to use this way, if it is a private connection it is illegal to use their connection without their consent.

David

I believe the boost comes from the gain as a result of the antenna being directional.

The WRT54G versions 1-4 run Linux, version 5 runs VxWorks.  There are numerous 3rd party firmware loads for the WRT54G ver. 1-4 that do add a lot of nice features, and one of the most useful is the ability to control the output power, allowing one to double the default power output.  The Linksys firmware doesn't allow use as a client adapter, I don't believe, but some of the 3rd party loads add more options for configuring the device as access point, bridge, client adapter, as well as a hot spot with login capability.  Check out LinksysInfo for what can be done with this very versatile device.

Gottasmilealot said:
I believe the boost comes from the gain as a result of the antenna being directional.

the WRT54G is a unidirectional setup, it works in 360 degrees. With the high gain antenna and the upgraded firmware it gives a stable connection. think fm radio transmitter/receiver. I have connected a WRT54G to a netgear wireless router to make a redneck wifi repeater.

the cantenna is a very directional it is a parabolic setup, collects the signal and focuses it to get gain. think satellite dish.
is there an advantage to it? I can think of one big advantage in my book.  It can be built from an empty can of chili and a few parts for fun, my hobby is electronics which was my job for 20+ years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom