Heading west

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smoky

We are skipping Yellowstone.  Right now in Blackfoot ID and heading out this morning to the St George area/  If we can we want to try to make Kanab RV Corral by nightfall, but that is a long haul and the Admiral is still asleep as I type this.  If I can't make Kanab, it looks like one more WM until we can relax for a few days at a campground.  While there we will take in Bryce, Zion (first time for both of us) and North Rim of Grand Canyon (2nd for me 1st for the Admiral).

Smoky said:
If we can we want to try to make Kanab RV Corral by nightfall

Smoky,

DON'T get in too big of a rush to get to Arizona. We're in Camp Verde and it's still getting into the high 80's to mid 90's. Just about anywhere below 3000 ft. is still getting into the 100's during the day. Even Flagstaff at 7000 ft. is still getting into the mid to high 70's during the day.

At Zion NP there is a nice campground right inside the park entrance.

If you come down I-17 we're at exit 285 and have full hook-ups.

Well guys we are currently at the RV Coral In Kanab and the weather is gorgeous.  High 70s during the day and 50s at night.  We extended our stay here until Sunday.  Then we will head for Flagstaff but have no idea where we will stay there (recommendations anyone??).  Might have to hit the local WM. 

Ron, I may have a chance this morning to give another try on the sat.  Sure would like to get on long enough to get that software update.

Oh yeah, yesterday we did Grand Canyon North Rim.

For the last week the Admiral has been complaining and asking why I had to drag her off to see some big red cliffs. 

In 2003 I took my trailer there with just Sky my dog.  It is quite possibly the most magnificent site I have ever seen in my entire life.  I could not find words to explain this to The Admiral. 

Well, it was something to watch her face as we walked from the parking lot towards the path entrance to the Angel lookout.  As we rose up over the hill and approached the clearing she stopped and her face turned as white as a sheet.  Then she began shaking all over and burst into tears.  It took about 10 minutes to settle her down and begin walking again.  Truly an incredible place.  Just as before in 2003 it was like entering a church.  Everyone talked in whispers. 
It is the only tourist place I have every been where a crowd of several hundred tourists would walk around speaking in hushed voices.

On the way there, just before the main gate, on the left, there is a country store.  I had stopped in there in 2003 and bought a coke.  We decided to do this again.  Little did we know that this time we would spend more than 2 hours there instead of the ten minutes I had spent there in 2003.

The first clue was that as we pulled up we saw a Newmar Dutch Star parked beside the store.  I noticed it had a screen room in the front and lots of bikes etc piled up around on the side.  I mused to the Admiral that this might belong to workkampers.  Sure enough when we went inside, there was a couple about our age working in there.  I asked them if the Newmar was theirs and sure enough they are there until Oct 31 workkamping for the summer.  What a wonderful conversation we had with them. 

One of the fascinating things I learned from them was all the dry camping sites available outside the main gate, but still on federal land.  It is all free and you do not need a permit.  Just past the country store you can either turn right on SR22 or turn left on SR119.  We explored turning left on SR22 in our Taurus toad.  We found many spots to pull off on the side and dry camp.  The quiet and solitude is unbelievable.  I must also say I now understand why not many people convert a sedan like the wagon Taurus into a toad.  The road is gravel and stretches of it have ripples in it that give your suspension a real workout!  ;D

I wish we could find a used Liberty Jeep or something, but no one ever seems to sell their precious 4 wheel drive toad.  :mad:

At any rate, route 22 goes all the way back to Fredonia over a 90 mile stretch, almost back to Kanab.  As long as you are still on Fed land you can camp anywhere off the road.  The trick is to get your motorhome down that road.  We saw plenty of pickups with campers, trailers, and small class Cs.  But not one large motorhome.

But the couple at the Country Store say that take their 40 foot Dutch Start down the road all the time.  Just drive very very slow and have the other person drive the toad ahead of you.

Next year, instead of toading all the way from Kanab to the North Rim, we will MH it to SR22, and camp just 10 mile outside the main gate.  The idea of leaving our MH unattended in the wilderness does scare us a little bit, but heck, if we want the freedom and excitement of boondocking, we have to take a little risk.  I have yet to hear of anyone having a problem drycamping on Federal land.

Oh and yes, the Admiral insists that we visit the North Rim again next year!!  :D

Today it is on to Zion, a first for both of us, as we enjoy our stay here at Kanab.

Smoky said:
Well guys we are currently at the RV Coral In Kanab and the weather is gorgeous.? High 70s during the day and 50s at night.? We extended our stay here until Sunday.? Then we will head for Flagstaff but have no idea where we will stay there (recommendations anyone??).? Might have to hit the local WM.?

Ron, I may have a chance this morning to give another try on the sat.? Sure would like to get on long enough to get that software update.

There are a lot of places to visit in Southern Ut but it will take a long time to see them all.  If I remember correctly you should have a clear view for the Sat.

Smoky said:
Then we will head for Flagstaff but have no idea where we will stay there (recommendations anyone??).? Might have to hit the local WM.?

Don't try the WM in Flagstaff. Small parking lot and hard to get around in in a small vehicle. I think you can park overnight at Sam's Club but I'm not sure. We're only 50 miles down the hill and have room ya. If you need more info about Flagstaff let me know.

Thanks for the tip on WM at Flagstaff.  We were giving it some consideration but we decided that might be a good place for a Cg since there are so many of them there.  Also does anyone know of a good CG along the shores of Lake Powell?

Ron, we still cannot get internet dish access, big tree here.  This CG has hi speed wifi which we are currently using.  So far not getting my money worth out of DW, but I am sure we will be using it once we get in the clear and get a chance to update the software.

Smoky said:
Also does anyone know of a good CG along the shores of Lake Powell?

We have stayed at Wahweap RV Park. If you stay there be sure to stay in the lower section. The upper section was pretty of dumpy the last time we were there. The lower section is also closer to the water.

Smoky,

We always ask for a site with a clear view of the southern sky.  We have used the dish in the park in Kanab. 

Near Page we have stayed at both Wah-Weap and Page Lake Powell campgrounds.

Ron:

We are in slot 15 at Kanab which is impossible for dishes on the roof.  Big tree beside coach completely blocks us.  I have Direct TV running from my backup tripod.  Too much trouble to bring down the DW dish at the present time.

Which CG do you like the best... Wah weap or Page?  We leave on Wednesday morning.  Admiral is ticked off as we missed this morning's broadcast on RV Today which featured Lake Powell.  We forgot about the time zone difference.  Our Direct TV guide is on eastern time and I thought it would be broadcast at 10 am.  Instead it was broadcast at 8 am due to time zone.  Grrr.

I don't remember which site were were in but when I asked for a place with a clear view we got one that worked.

Either campground was OK.  Nothing special.  As Don mentioned at Wah Weap try to get in the lower section if possible.

Smoky said:
We forgot about the time zone difference.  Our Direct TV guide is on eastern time and I thought it would be broadcast at 10 am.  Instead it was broadcast at 8 am due to time zone.  Grrr.

Smoky

You may want to change your billing address to Kalispell. That would put you in the Mountain Time Zone.

Also, we've stayed at Black Bart's in Flagstaff (exit 102?) on I-40. It is open, large spots, high water pressure-you need a regulator and they have a good steak house in the campground with college student waiters performing on stage.

Smoky

>>Our Direct TV guide is on eastern time and I thought it would be broadcast at 10 am.? Instead it was broadcast at 8 am due to time zone.? Grrr.<<

Get A? DirecTiVo...You can set it for any time zone you are in via a menu setting.

Terry
At Yuma, AZ

Terry A. Brewer said:
Smoky

Get A  DirecTiVo...You can set it for any time zone you are in via a menu setting.

Terry
At Yuma, AZ

Smoky:

Besides which our TIVO recorded the Lake Powell segment three times last week. ::) ::)

Smoky said:
Admiral is ticked off as we missed this morning's broadcast on RV Today which featured Lake Powell.  We forgot about the time zone difference.  Our Direct TV guide is on eastern time and I thought it would be broadcast at 10 am.  Instead it was broadcast at 8 am due to time zone.  Grrr.

Smoky,

It's hard to believe that you have an ironing board but you do not have Tivo.  ;D

Phil

Smoky said:
Alaskan Snowbiurds, any recommendations on a nice Flagstaff CG with clear southern skies?

Smokey.

We haven't stayed at any of the Flagstaff camp grounds. Too close to home. From what I've seen driving through Black Bart's and others, they all have trees. I would just call and ask if they have any sites without trees. I think Black Bart's has some.

No problem with trees here at Peg's Camp.

If you stop at Black barts, take in the dinner and show.  Food is good and the kids really work hard and do a nice job of both serving and the show.  We have enjoyed it every time we have stayed there.  There are sites without trees!  G

It's probably too late but if you are still in Kanab and like animals, don't miss a tour of Best Friends animal sanctuary.  It's just outside Kanab in Angel Canyon and is a remarkable place.

Back
Top Bottom