headroom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmac

I'm an average guy of above average height and below average means. Any new RV is likely to be out of reach. Having said that,

Are there any M/H makers that build units with headroom over 6'-6"? A long bed would be nice, too!

Thanks,

Tom

A few, Alfa is one. Not cheap, though, even on the used market.

Full length queen bedsare available in several brands and models, but you have to hunt around becasue others are short or "camper queens" (3 inches shorter than stanard).  A few offer kings.

You might have beter luck with a trailer - there are several tall fifth wheels brands.

If and when my brother and I get together I will be able to tell you more but I don't think a 6'6" person would have much of a problem in many RV's today.

I can tell you how to find out though..  The how is universial, the when varies depending on where you live.

Attend an RV show.  Here in S.E. Michigan we have two biggies every year, One in Novi, the other Ford Field (Detroit),  There is the humungous one in Quartzsite every january, there are RV shows in Las Vegas and in most of the major cities

This gives you a chance to price RV's, usually the lowest price for new you will see all year, View floor plans, and bang your head against the headers if you are taller than my not-so-little brother (6'6.5") (I'm only 6'3" but I'm older)

Now, some areas have good deals on lovingly used RV's too,, More on that in ohter threads

Thanks, Gary. A trailer isn't something we have considered in the past because we don't have a truck. Maybe we need to revisit our approach.

Thanks also to you, John. There's an RV show in Birch Run mid-September. We had intended to check it out but you have provided some additional incentive.

Tom

We have the RV queen-size bed. I'm 5'4" and my toes tend to hang over the end of the bed. So if you're over 6', I'd suggest that you 'try out' different RV beds....and don't forget that with a pillow, you're farther toward the end of the bed than when you lay down without a pillow.

Have fun shopping.

There is trick you can pull with a queen bed in a floorplan that allows it.  Simply lay a kingsized plywood board over the bed frame.  It may eat up some walkaround space making the making up of the bed more difficult, but it could work for you.

When we had a short queen, we just let it overhang 4 inches on the bottom end and put a foam block at the upper end, between the end of the matteress and the headboad. Effectively lengthened the mattress 4 inches. The mattress was plenty stiff enough to support our toes and if we sat n the end of the bed, most of our butts were still over the wooden platform underneath.

RV Roamer said:
When we had a short queen, we just let it overhang 4 inches on the bottom end and put a foam block at the upper end, between the end of the matteress and the headboad. Effectively lengthened the mattress 4 inches. The mattress was plenty stiff enough to support our toes and if we sat n the end of the bed, most of our butts were still over the wooden platform underneath.

What a great idea !! You don't use the top part of the bed that's under the pillows for much anyway. And with the extra 4" of foam, the sheets would fit !! Thanks!!

Thanks for the suggestions. We actually do something similar in the 31' Brave that we have now. That is, put two wooden milk crates at the end of the bed and pull the mattress over them. Because the foot of the bed is next to the bath and shower, the crates are handy for storing towels and washcloths. We didn't put a foam block at the head-end but old pillows and even a sleeping bag! Our biggest problem is that we have NO walkaround space left at the foot-end of the bed and have to crawl over the bed to get at anything.

Am beginning to get a picture. We need an 80-inch queen with a bit of extra walkaround space at the foot of the bed.

Thanks again for the discussion,

Tom

Back
Top Bottom