Healthcare for Brits visiting the USA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
We have a discussion going on about healthcare for Canadians visiting the USA here. This made me wonder about healthcare for visitors from the UK. What the nature and extent of medical insurance you carry while visiting the USA? How much does it cost, who's the insurance carrier and where do you buy it?

TIA.

Tom,

We were able to buy a 12 month travel policy online.

It cost us ?400 and has fairly extensive coverages.

Visitors can use www.travelsupermarket.com to do a search of several companies with one form.

Whilst Im thinking of it - are there any similar US companies which allow you to enter details on one form and get instant quotes from 10-20 companies ?

We seem to have loads of them now in the UK, covering just about every financial decision you have to make.

Paul

Thanks for that info and the link Paul.

I'm not aware of being able to shop for medical insurance this way in the U.S., but maybe someone else is aware of this. OTOH I believe there may be brokers you can contact who will shop around for you and provide quotes from more than one company.

;D Maybe I'm a fool? Maybe I am lucky? I have NEVER had medical insurance (apart from when racing) for travel. After ten years we must have saved a bundle?  ;D

John,

You were definitely very lucky. An acciident or illness that results in a visit to the ER or a hospital stay could be very expensive. If surgery is involved, the cost could skyrocket. We've always insisted that our visitors from the UK obtain medical insurance before leaving home. In most cases I've experienced, they won't touch you without proof of insurance or the ability to pay.

If there's a life threatening situation you'd probably get some attention, but they'd be looking for how they get paid before you leave.

;D If I ever take ill while in the USA and I don't happen to turn up my toes? I will visit one of these:- http://www.howtoadvice.com/Preview/Oaerdkb/ Otherwise I will get Sandy to shoot me and claim it was a drive by shooting.  ;D

Thanks for that link John. I've never seen a "free" clinic in 26 years of living here, although I don't doubt they exist. I note their caveat:

"In the case of an emergency, free clinics may be able to assist a patient or may direct them to the nearest emergency care facility."

Tell Sandy to keep the gun handy.

If you have a serious accident, the ambulance won't be looking for a free clinic; They'll take you directly to the nearest ER. When I received a call telling me my wife had been taken to the ER, I drove over there and they corralled me at the front desk, refusing to let me see her until I provided all her information and showed proof of insurance.

Sorry for jumping in on the thread  but  just recieved word that the M ajor hospital at Scott AFB near
Belleville, IL and just outside of St Louis, Mo now being converted to a out-patient Clinic encuding Civilian personnal.  That's startling news for Vet's and military in the area,  it's also the base for all overseas hospital planes to arrive.  Guess everyone will have to go to Jefferson Barracks in South St Louis now and heard their staffs were greatly reduced. Now info this came from a Vet that has been treaded there for many years.  Sorry That's all I've heard

Most hospital emergency rooms will treat people who are unable to pay - it's pretty much a requirement if they receive any federal funding. It's where th epoor go to get any sort of medical care, since they cannot get into most doctor's offices or walk-in clinincs.

Back
Top Bottom