Heat Hard on Mirrors and Weather Strips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mike in Texas

We have a brand new 2006 Monaco Diplomat 40PDQ. In late July I  settled into the driver's seat, ready to begin a 3 week trip to northern Arkansas from our home in New Braunfels, TX. When I looked at the driver's side adjustable mirror, I saw that it was hanging from its heater wires. The temperature had been reaching the 105 mark each day, apparently causing the adhesive holding the mirror to the adjusting mechanism to fail. The passenger side mirror hadn't fallen off yet, but had slid downward a bit from its normal position. I stuck the driver side mirror back into place and we proceeded on our trip

Petit Jean State Park was no cooler than south Texas and over the course of the 15 days there, both mirrors slid downward, but neither fell off. Also, most of the four slide out weatherstrips on the sides of the coach came loose and were hanging down. I didn't have a ladder with me so could do nothing about resticking the weather strips so just closed the slides on them when we returned home.

Two weeks after our return, I noticed that again the driver side mirror was hanging from the wires, but this time it had shattered the smaller panoramic mirror under it. The passenger side mirror had not fallen off yet, but was resting on the smaller mirror below it. I contacted the dealer (Evergreen in New Braunfels) and one of their service managers told me that there is a mirror recall in the works. If any of you have fairly new Monacos and either live in or are traveling in hot areas you might want to check your mirrors.

Attachments

• IMG_1575sm.jpg
    IMG_1575sm.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 30

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
Hope that Monaco - or the mirror manufacturer - fixes them for you.  105 is within the expected operational range for vehicles in the USA and the adhesives used in automotive products ought to withstand those temps.

Mike in Texas

The coach is still in warranty as we bought it in March. The dealer has a new set of mirrors waiting to be installed, which will occur when I take it in next week for that and some other warranty work. They were going to install them for me yesterday as we headed out of town for a few days. Unfortunately the trip was scrubbed as Max, one of our miniature schnauzers, became ill with what has turned out to be a liver infection. He's been at the vet's since Monday and is to come home tomorrow. Because of that, I aborted the rush installation of the new mirrors. The big question is whether these mirrors will have the same problem. There are lots of Monacos in this area but the dealer says they haven't seen the problem before.

Top Bottom