Heat Pump Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Old Snipe

On my 07 Journey I recently had a failure of the start capacitor on the inside blower on my basement A/C unit.  I replaced the capacitor with a locally obtain one of the same specifications as the original.  The original failed due to some water intrusion getting into the rubber cap, corroding the wire terminals and burning out.

The new capacitor works fine and the A/C works normally.

Today, we hit some cool weather and when trying to engage the heat pump function of the A/C unit, it would not turn on.  The regular LP furnace works fine, the A/C works fine, and the fan mode works fine, too.  Just when the heat pump is turned on, there is nothing, neither the A/C nor the fan turn on.

I checked all the circuit breakers, they are okay.  So my question is:  Is there another start capacitor for the heat pump to work or am I looking at a circuit board problem?

Best Regards!

Edit by John:  Changed message icon to Topic Solved

Heat pump uses all the same motors and capacitors as cooling system. Could be a control board or thermostat problem.
Wiring diagrams are on line and in the wiring cover on my unit.

It might just be the temperature differential between ambient and that set on the thermostat. If more than 6 degrees it goes to the propane furnace until the temperature is within 3 degrees of the set point.

John Hilley said:
It might just be the temperature differential between ambient and that set on the thermostat. If more than 6 degrees it goes to the propane furnace until the temperature is within 3 degrees of the set point.

Good point, but if there was that 6 degree temp differential, the blower would still turn on along with the propane furnace.  Now it does nothing at any temp setting when the heat pump is turned on, no fan, no propane furnace or heat pump engagement.

Yet everything works normally on A/C, just fan or on propane furnace.  That's why I'm leaning towards circuit board. 

Thanks for the replies!  I appreciate the help.  ;)

I think we have had trouble a few times with the selector switch making good contact. Since it is one of the few switches that are different from cool, try flipping the heat cool switch back and forth several times, firmly. It might them make contact. Otherwise you might get wiring diagram & see where the signal is lost, with a meter. Keep in mind you may activate the time delay and have to wait a few minutes for it to start.

Neal said:
I think we have had trouble a few times with the selector switch making good contact. Since it is one of the few switches that are different from cool, try flipping the heat cool switch back and forth several times, firmly. It might them make contact. Otherwise you might get wiring diagram & see where the signal is lost, with a meter. Keep in mind you may activate the time delay and have to wait a few minutes for it to start.

Thanks, Neal!

I gave your idea a try and it worked!  I wish everything was so simple to fix.  I guess the contacts in the switch must have gotten a little tarnish on it since it has not been used for the last six months.  Live and learn.  ;D

Best Regards!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom