Heater filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

casualemt

2005 Journey 36,
Is there any type of filter for the air intake on the propane heater? I don’t see one, the grill on the bedroom floor was dirty, I pulled the grill, cleaned it, but there is another identical grill installed from underneath, it looks like there is dirt built up underneath, but I don’t see how to clean it, if there is a filter for the air intake, I would really like to know where it is, or at least how to clean the intake/fan..

No. The tidal furnace uses an anemic 12VDC fan, so anything like a filter would only reduce the already low flow to non existant.

No. The tidal furnace uses an anemic 12VDC fan, so anything like a filter would only reduce the already low flow to non existant.
I get your point, but what about dust clogging the fan itself? I know there has to be dust bunnies somewhere, just look at the AC filter, it gets full…

Furnaces are not normally filtered.. Air conditioners are but not Furnaces..
You can try adding a filter.. it but as the prior reply implies it might cause non-operation of the furnace due to reduced air flow... IF that happens... you know what to do (remove the filter)

There are much smaller clearances for dust build-up to plug in an air conditioner versus in a furnace.

I've only seen filters on a couple RV furnace installations, just those where the furnace is in the basement and the air return intake in the floor above it.
This is a Winnebago journey 36, basement air and basement furnace with the intake on the floor above it.
Is there a way to access the fan without a complete dismantle? Otherwise I’ll just do what I can through the intake opening
Thanks you guys!

On many furnace models there will be an access door in the sidewall, where the air intake and exhaust come out. Some, hoever, only have exhaust and intake tubes through the wall. A single fan motor drives two impellers, one that sucks from the floor intake and circulates heated air through the ducting, and another that brings combustion air from outside and expels exhaust gases through the sidewall.

So as described before, heater intake grill on the bedroom floor, under that is another metal grill screwed in from underneath, below that is the heater intake…
The heater us covered in a dirty dust blanket, no apparent filter…now if a filter is going to limit airflow, then what is this dust blanket going to do? I am at least removing the below floor grill to be able to clean the heater intake..what’s a person to do?

Attachments

• 29CA6A57-3B5D-4F45-9D8C-7855A83C5CB2.jpeg
    29CA6A57-3B5D-4F45-9D8C-7855A83C5CB2.jpeg
    153.9 KB · Views: 4
  • DF464B35-C7DF-46B6-8BBB-F3592436A703.jpeg
    DF464B35-C7DF-46B6-8BBB-F3592436A703.jpeg
    127.9 KB · Views: 4
  • F75B2062-814C-4053-9E53-5A66EE329D8C.jpeg
    F75B2062-814C-4053-9E53-5A66EE329D8C.jpeg
    101.4 KB · Views: 5
  • F8A29969-AFDF-413E-BE36-5B7A8B86D04F.jpeg
    F8A29969-AFDF-413E-BE36-5B7A8B86D04F.jpeg
    96.6 KB · Views: 4
Vacuum up the dust bunnies the best you can and call it good.

Using the LP furnace in our Horizon is our last resort for heat since we try to conserve the gas as much as possible.

I'd drop a regular a/c air return filter into that box. It looks to be large enough that air flow should not be an issue as long as you replace the filter before it gets too clogged with dust. Use a cheap basic filter rather than one with a high MERV rating or one that claims to improve air quality. You just want a dust & debris catcher. A basic spun glass or pleated filter is sufficient.

Back
Top Bottom