Heater Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kehook

As my family and I were camping in our driveway (I will explain) in our 1995 Class C Damon Ultrasport.  The heater came on for no apparent reason and will not shut off. I shut off the switch to the heater(I think thats what it is) located on the access panel outside. However the blower continues to run. We had this same problem last summer.  I took the RV into Meyers RV Superstore in Syracuse,NY and they replaced the thermostat and they said problem was fixed. We are continuing have the problem. The AC runs at a greater reduced rate when the heater is running and I suspect that is because of the drawing of the electricity into two major components.

Driveway Camping: We left Sunday sfternoon for Lechford State Park, a 2 hour drive from our house. When we stopped for gas, I noticed oilly fluid dripping underneath the RV. I figured it was break fluid and turned around and came back home. Well we turned around and headed back home and camped in our driveway for two days. The kids had a blast.

Brakes: I will be getting our rusted through brake lines replaced tomorrow. (Not at the Meyers RV Superstore)

Would like any insight or repair solutions on this issue.

Keith

kehook

I will get the info you are looking for. The blower or what appears to be the blower is still running and has been for since 0430.

The following is a message I sent to Damon and the reply (Not in that order) from Damon.  :(

Dear Mr. Hook,

Have you contacted Meyer's RV Superstores in regards to having this issue still?  If not you will want to contact them and let them know and find out when they will be able to get you in for service.  We are confident that they will be able to locate the problem within a reasonable time.

If they need help they can call for assistance.

Thank you

Respectfully,
Charles Hood
Damon Motor Coach
Value By Design
----- Original Message -----
To: "Charles Hood" <[email protected]>
Sent: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 10:13 AM
Subject: Fw: Customer Service Form from DamonRV.com

>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Keith Hook" <[email protected]>
> To: <[email protected]>
> Sent: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 9:07 AM
> Subject: Customer Service Form from DamonRV.com
>
>
>> Contacts Information:
>>
>> Keith Hook
>> 182 West Myers Road
>> Oswego, NY 13126
>> Phone: (315)529-5318
>> Email: [email protected]
>>
>>
>> VIN#: 1FDKE30G7SHC14878
>> Question/Problem:
>> The heater comes on for no apparent reason and will not shut off. I shut
>> off the switch to the heater(I think thats what it is) located on the
>> access panel outside. However the blower continues to run. I took the RV
>> into Meyers RV Superstore in Syracuse,NY and they replaced the
>> thermostat. We are continuing have the problem. The AC runs at a greater
>> reduced rate when the heater is running. Please feel free to contact me
>> personally.
>>

Karl

Moderator Emeritus
Elkhart Lake, WI for the summer. Work at Road Amer
Keith,
You didn't answer my question:
Was the furnace putting out heat before you turned it off, or was just the blower running?
Having asked that, another question comes to mind - If you turn that switch on again and set the thermostat to, let's say, 80, does the furnace put out heat?

Most, if not all, furnaces will have an thermostatic switch mounted on them somewhere that causes the blower to run until the furnace temperature is below a pre-determined point. If that switch is stuck in the "on" position, the blower will run continuously. 

kehook

Karl,

Sorry for taking so long to reply. The best info I can give you for now is:excalibur 8500-III series by Hydro Flame Corporation.

The switch I turned off was located next to the blower motor. This killed the heat but not the blower motor. The blower motor continued to run even on battery power.

Looking at a schematic, it appears the on/off switch goes from the DSI Board(?) to the gas valve which makes sense about shutting of the heat. I notice on the schematic between the dsi board and the motor there is a sail switch and limit. I do not know what the problem is but it would seem the problem is inbetween the switch and motor (sail switch,limit or DSI Board). That is my theory and I have probably thoroughly confused you.

Keith

Karl

Moderator Emeritus
Elkhart Lake, WI for the summer. Work at Road Amer
Keith,
That is my theory and I have probably thoroughly confused you.
Some people think I'm constantly confused (among other things) ;D
The sail switch prevents the furnace from firing up if there is insufficient air flow, and the limit switch can serve two functions: one, to shut down the flame if it gets too hot, and two, to keep the blower running until the furnace is cool enough. You could very well have a stuck limit switch. If you can access the wires from it, you could try disconnecting one of the leads and that should stop the blower. If it uses the reverse logic, you could try shorting the 2 switch leads together, and that may stop it. Either way, you'll have eliminated the switch as the problem. You could also have a bad controller board (the DSI board) which may not be acting properly. There should be a fan relay on the DSI board, and the contacts may be shorted(sticking) together. Depending on the type of relay and your skills, you may be able to open it up and un-stick the contacts, polish off the rough spots, and replace the cover. May not be a permanent fix, but should get you going. Some relays may be potted and therefore unrepairable. Worth checking.
Good luck!   

kehook

Thank you very much. As soon as the RV get back from it's brake service I will try what you suggest.

Keith

Top Bottom