Heater works without DC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jdub46

Should the heater blower work on both AC and DC. Mine does, it's a Atwood hydroflame in an 05 jayflight. When I disconnect the battery, the blower will continue working on AC. Thanks in advance, I'm a newly registered member but I have learned a lot from you all as a guest.

Everyone so far who answered were correct. But it might be helpful if I go into a little more detail. You have 2 electric systems in an RV. You have ac which is the same as the electricity in your house. The ac powers the microwave, air conditioner, and the electrical outlets you plug in the TV, hairdryer, etc. You also have a dc electric current (battery current) which powers the lights, and control boards for the furnace and refrigerator. When you plug into an electric power pedestal you get ac power. In addition, the ac power runs a converter-charger which converts the ac to dc (battery type) electricity. Thus, you can turn on the lights and run the control boards of the refer and furnace even if you disconnect the batteries. In addition, the charger part of the converter-charger will charge the batteries when your RV is plugged into an ac pedestal. I hope that answers any questions you might have about the ac and dc systems in your RV.

Note many older converters do not regulated voltage well if the battery is disconnected, potentially exposing your control boards to higher than rated voltage.

The blower runs on DC. somewhere in your Rig is either a CONVERTER or an INVERTER/Converter..The one in my rig (I actually had one of each) were capable of putting out up to 80 amps DC.. The blower needs perhape 1/8th of that. So it will run off the battery or the converter.

Your batteries will NOT CHARGE if disconnected.

In the future you should have a more descriptive title to your threads. 'I have a question' will not attract as many answers as 'Heater works without DC' .
Am I missing something? "Heater works without DC" is the thread title.

Edit: I now figure the title was modified.

Last edited:
Should the heater blower work on both AC and DC. Mine does, it's a Atwood hydroflame in an 05 jayflight. When I disconnect the battery, the blower will continue working on AC. Thanks in advance, I'm a newly registered member but I have learned a lot from you all as a guest.
If the battery is removed, keep the positive battery cable off the frame. That can short the 12vdc side of the converter.

Back
Top Bottom