Heating for the Winter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jgreenedr

I'm storing my 5ver for the winter, but I plan to come and go on a few trips during this time.  To avoid winterizing each time I return can I just plug in and set the thermostat to 40 degrees and let the furnace keep everything from freezing.  I'm storing it inside a non-insulated building on concrete.

Leaving the furnace on will certainly help, but what about the water tanks and the plumbing in the basement storage? Do you have a way to heat them? My coach has a small electic heater built into the storage area specifically for that purpose.

I'm sure it does not have an additional heater.  It is a 1996 Excel 5ver 4 season.  The heat is ducted.  There is insulation between the bottom of the tanks and the mesh covering that covers the bottom of the camper.  If I put antifreeze in the tanks between trips will that help?

In my MH they tell me the furnace ducts willl (normally) keep the water in the tanks liquid... If, that is I choose to burn up propane all winter.

However they also say if it's really cold out to open lower level cabnet doors (under sinks and the like, Remove access panels to water pump and water heater and the like to improve hot air flow in those areas.

Ok, I may do that next year, for now, I just drained all the tanks, blew out the lines with compressed air and re-filled with pink stuff (RV-Antifreeze) enough to insure that the traps are protected and that I have liquid to flush with when I hit the road.

Plan on adding real water (and bleach) at my first fuel stop,,, Just before I leave Michigan,  Jan 2. (will pump anitfreeze to the holding tanks and dump)  Will drain the sanitazer mix the next time I re-fuel and fill with drinking water

jgreener,

A lot depends on just how cold and for how long it gets wherever you are. I keep my RV in a uninsulated steel building.  Last winter it got down to 24 (briefly overnight - North Texas). The low temperature that night in the building was 33 degrees. Freezing temperatures over several days will bring the inside temp close to the outside temp, but it doesn't take much of a heater to keep it above freezing.

Back
Top Bottom