Hello All! - A Word of Caution - Lesson Learned

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RProuty

Hi all- Glad to be part of a bigger"Virtual Campground"!

I'd like to share an experience we had over the 4th of July Holiday week of camping in Michigan. We had spent several days at our "Go To" Wolverine Campground and were headed to Sage Lake further North. When we travel my wife will drive one truck towing our boat and I drive towing our 5th wheel. We stopped to get fuel near Frankenmuth, MI. Those of you who have Diesel trucks I think will agree that at most truck stops, gas stations and fuel depots, Diesel Handles are GREEN. Also, the diesel pumps are most commonly located on the outside islands. Well we pull into a BP and I pull up to the outside island, stick the handle in the tanks turn on the pump and go to help the wife get pulled into the island on the other side of the station. I grab the handle and she is trying to hand me a black handled hose, I say "No I need Diesel, diesel is green". Well NOT at this BP! By the time everything sank in my tank was full of Regular Gas!

I had to have the truck towed to a mechanic (Shout out to MAD Diesel Performance in Holly, MI) who drained the tank & lines, replaced the filter and got me back on the road by noon the next day. The wife called around to different RV Dealers in the area and found one that sent their service mechanics over in a truck and towed the 5th wheel to a local campground for us (Shout Out to Leisure Day Travel in Clio, MI).

So lessons learned -
Slow down and make sure you're at the right pump in the station when fueling. Seems obvious but we get into a routine and sometimes forget to pay attention to details!

Think outside the box when challenges arise. I was going to have two tow trucks come and take the truck and trailer to the mechanic. The wife is the one that thought of finding a way to get to a nearby campground.

While she was calling around to the various dealers let me say that we found one dealer in particular was "generally" dis-interested in our plight and offered ZERO assistance or suggestions. So going forward I "generally" will avoid them for any purchases or service.

Lastly - I was thinking it would be really neat if someone could or if they wanted to join up with me to create it, a database of nationwide resources to be able to use when challenges arise and you need help on the road in a place far from home. Maybe even a group fellow campers that would be willing to help out, (tow a trailer for, provide advice on local mechanics, etc.). Just a thought while I was gritting my teeth waiting on the tow truck!

Be safe, be alert, and ENJOY!

There used to be a group of folks you could contact for local help. They were good samaritans associated with Good Sam. I think it died off. I would recommend that you look into Coach-Net.

A membership in CoachNet road service may seem expensive, but for me, it has paid for itself many times. They have that "database of nationwide resources" and also give technical advice over the phone. This may seem redundant with your regular road service, but this company focuses on larger RVs and keep data on your rig so they can send an appropriate tow truck or someone to change a tire that has a big enough jack, etc.

I have used their services for over 9 years. One example was when I had a blowout on a very busy California freeway in the Bay Area on Father's Day Sunday. They sent someone to change the tire. Then I discovered that running my flashers had killed my battery, which had been on its way out anyway. They could not find anyone to sell me a battery because of the date, so they got permission for me to spend the night at a nearby Lowes and towed me there. They called me several times during the evening and the next morning to make sure I was OK. Then the next morning, they had found a truck repair place that had an appropriate battery and towed me there. Truck place installed battery, sold me new tires, fixed fuel cap and pipe which had been hit by tire, and repaired some broken wires. I was out of there by 5 pm the next day!!
The two tows each cost $500, and I don't know what the tire change cost, but I got my money back for several years on that one instance!!

Last edited:
I'll join Chas and Judy in recommending Coach Net. Judy's comment "and also give technical advice over the phone" mentions a service from them that has been helpful several times, and I've had at least three occasions when they helped me find a mobile RV mechanic, though I've never actually needed to be towed.

So it's been more than worth it to me, not just financially, but also in terms of frustration avoidance and in cutting the hassle of finding assistance, in addition to help in troubleshooting.

Recommended...

And in relation to a BP station: I've seen those green pumps at BPs, and the closest thing otherwise to help identify gas vs diesel (other than labels) is to note the size of the nozzle. Gas MUST be a small diameter to fit in the hole under the gas cap, while the diesel nozzle is bigger and won't fit for a car.

Also recommend Coachnet - I just paid annual dues of $149 (a TT) which is MORE than worth it. I've had to use them 3 times for tire changes and one time for a trailer lift when the tongue jack slipped off the jack stand due to sandy soil shifting (actually caving in) under it. This was in the Mohave Desert Nat'l Mon. miles from anywhere and cost $999.00! Paid by Coachnet.

Linda

A good friend had a similar thing happen just out side of sturgis but it was ethanol not diesel because we are used to yellow for deisel

I guess that's one benefit of being color blind. I read the pump to see what comes out of it. :)

The pumps I'm familiar with all have a button you have to press to select the grade of gasoline and a separate hose and button for diesel. And they won't turn on until you make your selection. Sort of 2 factor authentication.

It's really confusing for us Brits buying fuel in the US. Over here unleaded is green, diesel is black. We have to be very careful when we change countries to make sure we get the correct fuel.

I have seen this before.
British Petroleum it seems bought out american oil . The company wants you to think they are somehow "Greener" than the competition so all the pumps are green.....

Generally the only "Green" thing is what you hand over. more of it than at most other non-BP stations. which is the #1 Reason I generally shop elsewhere.

I have seen this before.
British Petroleum it seems bought out american oil . The company wants you to think they are somehow "Greener" than the competition so all the pumps are green.....

Generally the only "Green" thing is what you hand over. more of it than at most other non-BP stations. which is the #1 Reason I generally shop elsewhere.
I got about 1/2 way through the first paragraph and said to myself, "BP station". I've heard complaints about their green pump handles for years.

I saw a guy come back to a BP after his truck stopped down the road. He is ranting to the manager about bad fuel, and then stops midsentence, and exclaims he now knows what happened.

I'll join Chas and Judy in recommending Coach Net. Judy's comment "and also give technical advice over the phone" mentions a service from them that has been helpful several times, and I've had at least three occasions when they helped me find a mobile RV mechanic, though I've never actually needed to be towed.

So it's been more than worth it to me, not just financially, but also in terms of frustration avoidance and in cutting the hassle of finding assistance, in addition to help in troubleshooting.

Recommended...

And in relation to a BP station: I've seen those green pumps at BPs, and the closest thing otherwise to help identify gas vs diesel (other than labels) is to note the size of the nozzle. Gas MUST be a small diameter to fit in the hole under the gas cap, while the diesel nozzle is bigger and won't fit for a car.
Which I know and served to make me feel even dumber when I realized what happened! The kicker that I forgot to mention, I went inside to ask the attendant if they had someone I could call, figuring this can't be the first time this has happened. Her reply was "I don't know!" When I mentioned the Green handles she said "They've been that way for four years!" and walked off. Which in at the moment in that situation really elevated, let's call it my "frustration" level! LOL!

Reminds me of the time in US Army Germany when one of my tanker truck drivers dumped 2500 gallons of mogas in a underground diesel tank.
I had a cg neighbor a few years ago that had that happen. The tanker driver put gas in the diesel tank. Eventually , the distributor paid for the repairs.

The pumps I'm familiar with all have a button you have to press to select the grade of gasoline and a separate hose and button for diesel. And they won't turn on until you make your selection. Sort of 2 factor authentication.
I know and that made/makes it even worse! LOL!

FYI - locally, I've seen lots of yellow covered pump handles for diesel fuel. Never seen a black one tho. My personal actions at the pump is to always check what is coming out of the nozzle. Just the way I was taught from day one by my Dad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom