Hello all, newbies introduction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DGF

We are about to retire. We have talked about RVing to all the places we want to see or revisit. We are in the process of going to RV shows and reading brochures. It is a daunting task, there is so much to see. We are not sure how big our RV should be. Many of the places we will visit are out of the way and we are concerned about getting a big RV into them. I used to be a fairly active backpacker ( Appalachian Trail) and I have spent many nights sleeping under the stars. My wife comes from a camping family (Tents).  We know what "roughing it" is like. Strangely, we dont feel like "roughing it" that much anymore. Consequently we have decided we need a separate bedroom, as I go to bed early, she goes to bed late. It seems 30 feet is the smallest that will fill our needs. 30 feet seems so big to this old backpacker though. Is there someting Im missing or would a smaller one do the trick? 

We would never buy anything smaller than a 30ft'er.  You will find after awhile that you will be glad that you didn't go
any smaller.  The walls will actually begin to close in on you.... :eek:  good luck on getting your unit.  My husband and I are currently
waiting for our rig to be built.  We decided on a 39ft. 5th wheel. 
Good Luck

Postalpair  :D

Thanks Postalpair. Do you think you will restricted to intersates with 39? Will you be able to get off the beaten track? That is our concern. We are more interested in the Blue highways than the turnpikes. As newbies we dont yet have a feel for size. I can appreciate your comments about the walls comming in. We do want to be somewhat comfortable.

We have a 40 ft American Eagle and a Grand Cherokee toad.  Never have felt restricted to interstates or been turned away from a campground we wanted to stay at.  We know there are some forest service ampgrounds that have restricted lengths but even 30 ft is too big for some of those.

Hi DGF.? We're new to the forum also, but not new to RV'ing.? I think it depends on how much time you will be spending in your camper, what you can afford, and how big of towing vehicle you have or want to buy.

Some of the shorter units are perfectly comfortable and have "curtained off" sleeping areas.? We just downsized to a 24', but it has a queen bed and curtained off from the rest of the camper.? Plus, your wife might find out that she can't sleep late anyway.? I like to sleep late, but while camping I just can't.? There are always distractions/noises in campgrounds - at first light.? So, even if you are quiet as a mouse, your neighbor who is tearing down to get on the road at "0-dark-hundred", will wake your wife up anyway.

So go with what you are comfortable with - especially for your first camper.? You might not be comfortable towing a long unit at first.? If you need a bigger one later, you can always trade up.

But, if you are going to be living in it for months at a time, get a big one. lol.?

Good Luck, Have Fun, and Be Careful.

Thanks Ron, Hacksaw for your kind responce. We are about a year away from making our break. Its exciting to be doing the research. My backpacker background keeps telling me to go small and light and my age ( 65 ) keeps telling me to go for the comfort. I think, comfort, is winning.

DGF said:
Its exciting to be doing the research. My backpacker background keeps telling me to go small and light and my age ( 65 ) keeps telling me to go for the comfort. I think, comfort, is winning.

Hey DGF,
After sleeping on the ground under the stars (in my younger years) , struggling up mountains in a VW Bus, feeling cramped in a van conversion, enjoying my own bathroom in a gas mode 34 foot class A, purchasing a 36 foot diesel and then purchasing a 40 foot diesel in which we live full time, I'd say go for the comfort.? If you want to be off the beaten path, unhook a tow vehicle and tour in the car. Save yourself the money of all the vehicles we went through.? We rented a class A 36 foot for a week end to see how it drove and had the experience of fitting into camp grounds. Once the comfort zone was met, the? purchase of a big rig was ok.? We use the back bedroom as seperate quarters frequently as we have opposite tastes in TV viewing and sleep bedtime habits.? Good luck in the search.
Betty

Thank you Betty. I can't remember why we liked roughing it so much. Do you? : )

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlSpackler
Back
Top Bottom