Hello all

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

acegarp

Hi, my name is Kevin and I just got into RVing this year.  My wife and I bought a 30ft Weekend Warrior toyhauler and a '90 GMC Suburban to pull it.  I'm starting to wonder if I should have bought that Suburban, since everyone is telling me to get a diesel...

Hi Kevin, welcome to our friendly forum.

What size Suburban? Do you have the 2500 with the 454 engine?

Hi Kevin,

Welcome to the RV Forum.  I am sure some of the framily will have some answers to your question.  We are looking forward to your participation here.

Hi Kevin!  Welcome to the Forum.  What do you carry in your Toyhauler?    Got some photos of the toys?  Attach them to a reply posting.

Thank you for the welcome.
Tom, It is a 2500 with a 454, but its a 1990, and I think I might have killed it today (I tried to pull my trailer up Hwy 38 in CA, and it overheated.  I let it cool down and rather than push my luck, I turned around and brought it home).
Steve, I have a 2002 Honda XR650R dirtbike, and my wife has a 2004 Sportrax 400EX ATV.  Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of them yet, but hopefully I'll post some soon.

acegarp said:
Thank you for the welcome.
Tom, It is a 2500 with a 454, but its a 1990, and I think I might have killed it today (I tried to pull my trailer up Hwy 38 in CA, and it overheated.? I let it cool down and rather than push my luck, I turned around and brought it home).
Steve, I have a 2002 Honda XR650R dirtbike, and my wife has a 2004 Sportrax 400EX ATV.? Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of them yet, but hopefully I'll post some soon.

You tried it out on 38!?  You are really into shaking a rig down. ;D  Did you make it as far as Angelus Oaks?

Hehe... nope, didn't make it past that dogleg, where it gets REALLY steep.  Time to cut my losses I think... I live in the Inland Empire of SoCal, so if I want to go anywhere, I need to be able to handle grades. North, I need to be able to clear the Grapevine; South, there's two major hills on the way to San Diego; East, there's a long uphill around Indio (I 10); Northeast (Vegas way, via the 15) there's the Cajon Pass.  I guess its better to find out sooner rather than later.

acegarp said:
Hehe... nope, didn't make it past that dogleg, where it gets REALLY steep.? Time to cut my losses I think... I live in the Inland Empire of SoCal, so if I want to go anywhere, I need to be able to handle grades. North, I need to be able to clear the Grapevine; South, there's two major hills on the way to San Diego; East, there's a long uphill around Indio (I 10); Northeast (Vegas way, via the 15) there's the Cajon Pass.? I guess its better to find out sooner rather than later.

Cajon and the I-10 are not all that bad, most freeway grades are not, just a bit of 2nd and 1st for me.  In any case you learn to use the tach and 1st gear to keep the revs over 2000 and under 3500-4000 getting over those fun reefs in Utah and the various ranges of the Basin and Range area of the West where we live.

BTW for the info of lurkers here CA-38 is a highway out of Redlands, CA leading up to the resorts at Big Bear Lake.  It takes off from around 1600 feet and climbs over 8500 feet before it gets to the Lake.  It is a good, wide two lane mountain road with turnouts and gentle switchbacks but, lord, does it climb!  It is also the best route for an RV into the mountain resorts -- which says a lot about the other routes (33 and 138).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom