Hello and what do you know about converters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom Roach

I am new to this forum. The content looks great and am looking forward to learning from all of you.

I have a question about converters, I hope someone can help answer. I have a solar charging system and an inverter. I know the converter in the coach must be disconnected when not on shore power, but with solar charging do I even need the converter? I think it provides a trickle charge to the battery when on shore power. Thanks

Hi Tom, and welcome to RVForum.

I know the converter in the coach must be disconnected when not on shore power,
That is not generally true, but could be necessary if the trailer shore cord is plugged to that inverter. If the RV has no source of 120v power (shore, genset or inverter), then the converter is inoperative anyway. There are a couple ways to wire in the inverter and not all of them require the converter to be disabled.
but with solar charging do I even need the converter?
It sure is handy to have some charging from shore power when available. Especially if it's a rainy day...

I think it provides a trickle charge to the battery when on shore power.
I've not heard of a solar panel or solar charge controller that can do that, but maybe it exists. What make & model of solar charge controller do you have?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom