Hello, everyone!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

b_smitty

Good to join you all.? Wife and I haven't purchased an RV yet, but like the Pleasure-Way Plateau TS Silver Anniversary Edition with all the options.? MSRP shock is gradually subsiding.? Have contacted several dealers to get quotes and got what appears to be a good price at Ballard RV in Texas.? Anyone deal with this organization before? What's been your experience?

Hi gbcs001 and welcome to our forum.

Sticker shock can be, well, shocking. But it sounds like you're getting over it. If you're buying new, expect to pay approx 25% less MRSP, but that number can vary quite a bit (the range folks report is something like 22-28%). Also don't be afraid to ask for options to be thrown in with the deal; You may not get them for free, but there's usually a big markup on option prices.

Welcome to the RV Forum.  Please ask any questions you have that may help you on your RV purchase.  Lot of experience here among the framily and we are willing to share our knowledge.  Glad you found us.

Where in Texas are you located?

We live in Illinois actually, northwest of Chicago about 50 miles in town called Prairie Grove. My wife and I are retired now and looking forward to doing some serious traveling around this great country of ours.? The P-W Plateau we are interested in has an MSRP of about $85K.? That's an average of what various dealers claim for exactly the same configuration.? The best quote we've received is 16% off that.? Typically, I'm quoted 10% off MSRP and with a bit of haggling can get it down to 12%.? Getting even 20% off list seems highly unlikely on this unit.  Maybe it's getting to that time of year (several big RV shows have been held around the country) when demand is picking up and it's less of a buyer's market now.? It seems there are not many Pleasure-Way dealers around either, and the used market barely exists for the Sprinter-based Class Bs.? There's one dealer in Illinois, Obie's 1 Stop, whose initial quote was only 9% off list.? Buying an RV from a dealer out state is new to me.? A certain level of trust is called for.? I've heard favorable comments about Van City RV in St. Louis, but nothing about Ballard RV outside of San Antonio.? If anyone has any experience with Ballard, let me know, good, bad or indifferent.

I can't help with the dealers, but I reall think you should be in charge of deal since, after all, it's your money. Have you tried lowballing the dealer to see if they would even bite? If you're waiting for the dealer to make the offer of a lifetime, don't hold your breath.

It's tough to get steep discounts from northern and eastern dealers - it seems you have to get into the deep south or southwest to get dealers willing to give steep discounts. Perhaps because RVs are more of a year around business in those locales? And of course, it is more difficult to bargain on models that are not widely available and on lower priced models. Dealers have some fixed expenses to recover and they are a larger proportion of lower priced units.

I would not be concerned about buying out of your local area (many of us here have done so), but plan on spending several days in the dealer's locale so that you are not tempted to drive away with issues unresolved.  Your warranty is from the factory, not the dealer and in fact many (or even most) components in an RV have separarte warranties anyway. All the appliances, a/c units, tires, axles, etc. are all warranteed by the component manufacturer and can be repaired at any place that services those components, which is to say most RV shops.  While it is convenient to go back to a dealer for the RV breand and let them sort out whose warranty pays, it is not absolutely necessary.

Good points Gary. I hadn't considered the effect of geographic location on market prices/discounts.

gbcs001 said:
We live in Illinois actually, northwest of Chicago about 50 miles in town called Prairie Grove. My wife and I are retired now and looking forward to doing some serious traveling around this great country of ours.? The P-W Plateau we are interested in has an MSRP of about $85K.? That's an average of what various dealers claim for exactly the same configuration.? The best quote we've received is 16% off that.? Typically, I'm quoted 10% off MSRP and with a bit of haggling can get it down to 12%.? Getting even 20% off list seems highly unlikely on this unit.? Maybe it's getting to that time of year (several big RV shows have been held around the country) when demand is picking up and it's less of a buyer's market now.? It seems there are not many Pleasure-Way dealers around either, and the used market barely exists for the Sprinter-based Class Bs.? There's one dealer in Illinois, Obie's 1 Stop, whose initial quote was only 9% off list.? Buying an RV from a dealer out state is new to me.? A certain level of trust is called for.? I've heard favorable comments about Van City RV in St. Louis, but nothing about Ballard RV outside of San Antonio.? If anyone has any experience with Ballard, let me know, good, bad or indifferent.

There are several dealers in the Midwest that will deal but I do not know if they sell Pleasure Way. Pontiac RV in Pontiac, Stout's in Indianapolis, and Tom Raper in Richmond IN to name a few.

I would also go further away to find the RV you want and then take the offer back to your local dealer to use for negotiating. Friends did this buy phone but ended up buying from a dealer a hundred miles away.

I've been negotiating with several dealers around the country and, yes, it does appear that those in the south and west give better deals right up front.? One has to look at the whole picture, however.? For example, Many Trails RV in Prescott, AZ gave a reasonable price immediately, but I learned that I have to pay a 2.33% city sales tax even though I'm from out of state. One also has to figure in the transportation costs of getting the vehicle back home.? Dealers will arrange to have someone drive it to your door if you choose, but that costs extra and you have no control over the break-in.? If you choose to drive it yourself, you have to factor in the cost of traveling to the dealership.? The suggestion to stay a few days in the dealership vicinity sounds like a good idea, though, I will make that part of the plan. Low-balling didn't help me at all, everyone held firm on their initial quote, but when I gave a more reasonable offer, negotiations made progress.? Dealers seem to have some magic number or price range that they are willing to work in and if you are not in that ball park, they ignore you.? It also seems to be dependent on the product demand, availability, time of year, and who knows what other factors.? It looks like I'll get my Plateau TS Silver for about $74K + tax, title and plates, more than I wanted to pay, but I really like this machine. :)

Smitty,

If you live near Chicago, why don't you make your best deal then arrange for factory pick up?  That way you get the rig with zero miles and you may be able to get factory service at the Pleasureway factory after doing a shakedown,,

That's a good idea.  I'll look into it. Maybe it will also save me the infamous "delivery" charge.  One dealer had this in the itemized quote.  It was over $1000!  Thanks.

If Pleasureway has factory delivery and factory service, it will be a great experience.  I am a great believer in factory service, and have made factory service availability one of the top criteria when choosing a brand.

Some manufacturers may charge a service charge for factory delivery, which is worth every penny.  No dealer can equal the service an RV manufacturer can provide.

Keep us posted on what you find out, as no one has ever informed us whether Pleasureway provides factory service.

What has persuaded you to choose Pleasureway over the other Type B's?

Looking forward to hearing from you! :)

Regards,

I modified your message to add a link to your well-written message on the Van Conversions message board.

Its Phil and Carol at this end.  Just joined about a month ago and have enjoyed the forum and site.  Site makers, "WELL DONE!".  We currently live in our warm stick house in Cedar Crest NM looking forward to fulltimeing in a couple of years.  We have a 5r, toybox, Idletime, 36' and towed by WARPIG, an 04 3/4 ton Dodge with Mr cummins doing the work.  Our dream is to leave behind the trappings of a stressful lifestyle and seek life and adventure in "Whatever comes our way"!  The crew's complement will be Phil, Carol, Morgan (Black Lab) and possibly Lacy (Cat) who is a genuine senior.  We hope to convert an HDT and haul either an Excel or high end toybox.  We are going to sell our property and there will be no turning back once the day comes!  We figure with the HDT it will last the length of our roaming and we will be able to replace 5r's every three years or so.  I will be retired military and retired education and Carol will be retired State Police.  Our mission is to find a new home for later years and just wander until we find it...seems like a plan.  My entrepreneur side will find us following motorcycle rallies across the country selling coffee to have a write off and pay the disiel and other costs.  We may go to the South during the winter and if we stay on this side of the border I will sub with a local school.  If we go across the border I will do a mile swim each morning and bring back bre :)akfast.  Thats our plan, nothing great, but certainly fun.  Will see lots of family and friends.  I also like to inline skate so sites with paved roads will see me out there with the kids doing my thing.

Thank you for the use of this great forum and it has been a pleasure reading what each person has said.  Phil and Carol

fastphil said:
Thank you for the use of this great forum and it has been a pleasure reading what each person has said.

Glad you're enjoying the forum Phil and Carol. Glad to have you aboard.

Hello everyone

I'm new to this forum and the RV world, but have found this place to be an excellent resource for RVers.  Occasionally visit your forum to discover the exiting destinations in North America people are choosing to spend their time.

Jon

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom