Hello from Alberta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill (Trucker101)

Hi all, Bill & Ev here. We recently bought at an auction a 1985 28ft Ford Royal Classic type C with low miles.I {Bill} joined this forum a while back when we bought our 1972 31ft Airstream trailer,it's for sale now if anyones interested email me. Everything seems to be working ok except the hot water tank.The burner goes off & on like it should but the water barely gets warm. The temp is set all the way to hotest temp.When I pull the little handle on the pressure relief valve it has air coming out of it,I pulled & held it open 4 or 5 times and only get air coming out.Does anyone have any ideas why I cant get hot water?
.......Thanks? ?Bill

[edit]BBCode Formatting[/edit]

Attachments

26.3 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC08615 (Small).JPG
    DSC08615 (Small).JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC08259 (Small).JPG
    DSC08259 (Small).JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 14
Bill,

There is usually a hot water bypass valve somewhere which will prevent water from flowing through the heater. I'm assuming the heater is firing up for 10-15 minutes before shutting off. If not, and it's only running a minute or two, suspect a blockage in the flue. Spiders and other varmints like to build their nests there.

Bill & Ev ,

Welcome to the RV Forum.  Please join in on any of the ongoing discussions, ask questions, or start new discussions.  Glad you found us. 

On your water heater with the shore water attached, have you held the pressure relief valve open til water come out?  After the waster comes out try turning it on and heating the water again.

Ron said:
On your water heater with the shore water attached, have you held the pressure relief valve open til water come out? After the waster comes out try turning it on and heating the water again.
? Thanks all for the welcome & info.The water heater is a small built-in one that came with the unit.I have tried leaving the pressure relief valve open while I was hooked up to shore water & tank water but nothing comes out except air & after the air comes out I keep wating for water but none comes??
?? ??? ???? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?Thanks...Bill? ?

Bill,

Welcome to the RV Forum!  We had an Airstream of about that vintage in those years that I pulled with a big Ford sedan...and got about 5 mpg :D

There may be a check valve on the supply side of your hot water heater which may need replacement if you are not getting water into the heater.

Keep us posted on your findings.

As mentioned, it could be a bad check valve or a bypass not turned on.  Either one will prevent water from entering the hot water heater.  Generally, you don't want to open the relief valve until water runs out, but in your case it's a valid diagnostic test.  Once you find the problem, drain the hot water heater then turn on the water and open a hot water faucet until only water comes out (no air).  Do NOT open the relief valve, this method will give you the needed air head in the hot water heater to allow for the expansion of the water as it's heated.

At The Q this past Jan, I had trouble with my water pressure,  Ithought I turned every thing on, but no this big dummy has one valve I thought was on , was actually shut off.  Thanks to Dave the problem was remedied.  Always recheck the valves.  Most generally they are the culpert.  Head what these gents tell you cause they for darn sure know what they are talking about.

;D ;D Thanks to Karl & Ron. I Finally got the time to go on a search for the bypass valve,had to get down on my belly{No easy task anymore!} and search but I found it & it was closed,now it's open. Tomorrow I'll hook up the water and try again...Bill  :D :D

Back
Top Bottom