Hello from Central Wisconsin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TomR

Hello from Central Wisconsin. Wanna-be campers here. We bought our tow vehicle earlier this year (2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S, Max Tow) and are starting our search for the trailer that's right for us.

Tom & Shari

Welcome to the forum.
Just a little advice, if you do find a trailer you like, come back to us with all the numbers about it. We can help you see if your vehicle can safely tow it.
Also when shopping, leave your wallet and credit card at home. That way if they pressure you (and they will) saying that deal won’t be available tomorrow, then just walk away. The chances are, the so called deal will still be there for several days.
A salesman will tell you anything you want to hear just to make a deal. So beware. Many salesmen aren’t very truthful or even worst knowledgeable about rv’s.
Have fun kicking tires

Welcome to the forum.
Just a little advice, if you do find a trailer you like, come back to us with all the numbers about it. We can help you see if your vehicle can safely tow it.
Also when shopping, leave your wallet and credit card at home. That way if they pressure you (and they will) saying that deal won’t be available tomorrow, then just walk away. The chances are, the so called deal will still be there for several days.
A salesman will tell you anything you want to hear just to make a deal. So beware. Many salesmen aren’t very truthful or even worst knowledgeable about rv’s.
Have fun kicking tires
Thanks for the advice. Our Jeep tow rating is 7650, and we're looking for something less than 5000 GVWR, so I think we're ok. WD anti-sway hitch will be a must.

Tow rating isn’t very important. Most vehicles can tow way more than they can haul. Ok, I made up the “haul” thing…
Payload of the the tv (tow vehicle) is usually the limiting factor.

Look at the yellow bordered sticker on the drivers door latchpost. it will list a number of the maximum cargo (people, luggage etc) that it can carry. ThAt is the the critical number.

Take the people, tools, toys, pets etc plus 10-12 % of the GVWR of the trailer And it must be below your payload.

Greetings from Texas, we left the Badger state in 2013, made our home in the Lone Star State. I grew up in the township of Middleton, just west of Mad City. Wife was born in Chicago, but moved to Baraboo when she was 9.

Tow rating isn’t very important. Most vehicles can tow way more than they can haul. Ok, I made up the “haul” thing…
Payload of the the tv (tow vehicle) is usually the limiting factor.

Look at the yellow bordered sticker on the drivers door latchpost. it will list a number of the maximum cargo (people, luggage etc) that it can carry. ThAt is the the critical number.

Take the people, tools, toys, pets etc plus 10-12 % of the GVWR of the trailer And it must be below your payloa

So here are my calculations:
Tow capacity - 7650
Tongue capacity - 765
Payload max - 1524

Trailer GVWR - 4384
15% max on tongue - 657

Max payload - tongue weight - full tank of gas = (1524 - 657 - 90) = 777

So ~750lbs available for people, dogs, kayaks, bikes, etc.

Does that sound reasonable?

Greetings from Texas, we left the Badger state in 2013, made our home in the Lone Star State. I grew up in the township of Middleton, just west of Mad City. Wife was born in Chicago, but moved to Baraboo when she was 9.
My late father was from the Corsicana area. In fact, we'll be down there in a couple of years to watch the total solar eclipse from his gravesite in Blooming Grove (he was a big astronomy buff). Hopefully with our not-quite-new camper!

So here are my calculations:
Tow capacity - 7650
Tongue capacity - 765
Payload max - 1524

Trailer GVWR - 4384
15% max on tongue - 657

Max payload - tongue weight - full tank of gas = (1524 - 657 - 90) = 777

So ~750lbs available for people, dogs, kayaks, bikes, etc.

Does that sound reasonable?
Looks good to me.

Greetings from Southeast Wisconsin. Take your time and shop around. There are so many different makes, models and floorplans to look at. When you find the "right one" you will know it.
Gary - KB9VGD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlSpackler
Back
Top Bottom