Hello from Sacramento, CA area -- in research mode currently

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pedalinjoy

Hi!  I'm doing hours and hours of research on whether I dare to sell my condo (I've loved this little condo for almost 20 years) to fly the coop and take to the road, now that I'm retired.  I live on a modest fixed income now--occasionally supplemented by freelance proofreading and editing work, words on the page being my professional background. From all I'm reading, I can afford this kind of lifestyle if resourceful.  I'm focusing mostly on Class B vans that are stealth-friendly.  :>)

If I decide to transform my life into that of a gypsy for the foreseeable future, I plan to take my cello, guitar, folding Bike Friday, and my watercolor supplies, mainly, in addition to necessities, of course, to meander America's national parks, state parks, etc.  Years ago, I enjoyed a 10-year stint of sporadic touring around the country with my guitar and original songs (on the folk music circuit).  I have such memories to treasure from that amazing experience!  I believe that there are many new adventures awaiting me if I find my way through "letting go to let in" and end up with a RELIABLE, charming van of some sort to set out! 

Thanks in advance for any advice I receive from so many more savvy folks here! 

Welcome to The RV Forum. I like your username. Where near Sacramento are you?

We're an hour and some Southwest of you, out on the Delta. Let us know if we can answer any questions.

Have you ever used an RV? 

I'd suggest you rent the smallest class C you can find, or a van if they rent those, and load all the stuff you want to carry when full timing. Then spend a week in it. During that week you can go down highway 99 to L.A. and back stopping at all the RV dealers along the way. 

Arch Hoagland said:
I'd suggest you rent the smallest class C you can find, or a van if they rent those,

Cruise America doesn't rent vans but they do have what they call a "compact RV", a narrow what looks to be 18 footish Class C

Arch Hoagland said:
Have you ever used an RV? 

I'd suggest you rent the smallest class C you can find, or a van if they rent those, and load all the stuff you want to carry when full timing. Then spend a week in it. During that week you can go down highway 99 to L.A. and back stopping at all the RV dealers along the way.

I agree.  With all you are planning on taking with you, it will be cramped at best in aB.  Think about a C or a small A with a toad.  Try to rent something and see if you can really do what you want to do

Hey! We r in Truckee pretty much in the same space.  We just put our house on the market. Been here for 30 yrs. We currently have a 1991 21 ft class c.  Getting rid of our " stuff"  my hobbies are cooking, pottery and a little photography. The husband pretty much is in charge of all the music. . Trying to figure it out.  Have fun ,

I hope I'm replying to all of you who were so helpful giving input on my question.  A friend is going to lend me her Class B Leisure Travel van for a few weeks, if I want to test the waters...good advice from all of you, and much appreciated!  Pedalinjoy/Sacramento (aka Paula Joy)

pedalinjoy said:
I hope I'm replying to all of you who were so helpful giving input on my question.  A friend is going to lend me her Class B Leisure Travel van for a few weeks, if I want to test the waters...good advice from all of you, and much appreciated!  Pedalinjoy/Sacramento (aka Paula Joy)

What a lucky break...A chance to get a idea if it would work for you.

"A friend is going to lend me her Class B Leisure Travel van.."

Outstanding. That will answer all your questions. 

You are a pretty lucky person to have a friend like that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlm611
Back
Top Bottom