Hello from SE Arizona

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aztrvman

Hi Folks,

My name is Dan and my wife Monica have been retired now for a year from our respective professions.  We took the plunge into a 30B Sightseer Ford Chassis a year ago and put some 12,000 miles on this great rig.  Evolving however as some do, we test drove several DP coaches and settled on an HR Neptune 34PDD with the 300 ISB Cummins.  We have taken our "shakedown" and find there is indeed a world of difference in Gas vs Diesel coaches.  While this entry level Diesel may not have the torque some of the high end coaches have, it is an incredible advance over the V-10 at least in our opinion. 

We look forward to this forum and learning from the wise veterans of this incredible recreation opportunity.

Dan

Dan and Monica,

Let me be the first to welcome you to the Forum, being fairly new myself I have already found this to be the best place on the net! That Rig of yours is on my list of possibles for my switch from gas to diesel. From what I have seen entry level on the HR line, just means choice of fabric ;D

I know you will enjoy this bunch, as I have. Ask away about anything that comes to mind, someone here has done it fixed it or found a replacement :D

Hi Kenneth,

We appreciate the response and look forward to talking with people like yourself.  Aside from finally being able to begin to see this great country of ours, it is the very positive and friendly folks we have met in the campgrounds and RV parks from campland in San Diego to our shakedown to see friends in Ohio recently and the RV parks along the way.  By the way, try to avoid I-44 between Springfield and St. Louis.  Much construction and still many BIG potholes.

Thanks again for the welcome!

Dan

Welcome to the forum, Dan and Monica. This is a great bunch of friendly people, as well as a great place for getting answers to all your questions. Mike and I have a 27-foot Sightseer and really enjoy it.

Dan,

We are preparing for our trip to tour the southwest.  What would be your suggestions for must see/must stay campgrounds in SE Arizona?

Thanks and welcome to the forum.

D2

Hi D2,

There is a loop one should follow in visiting Cochise County.  You can start in Willcox, AZ right off I-10 and there are two decent parks and probably the "Life Style park - Good Sam" is OK and has decent facilities.  Begin there and take St Hwy 186 to the Chiricahua National Monument and don't know the size of your rig but there is a Forest Service campground (limit 30') that is great. This park has one the most incredible huge balanced rock formations in the US.  Continue back to Hwy 191 and go to Bisbee (old restored mining town) with again fantastic history.  There is one "Queen Mine RV Park" right next to the old mine tours which you must take along with a tour of the old town Bisbee.  Continue on to Tombstone where you will want to spend the day as there are new Western Shoot outs staged daily and have really been improved.  The Tombstone Territory RV Park looks good however we have never stared there.  There are several nice RV parks in Benson AZ and then back to Willcox via I-10 will complete the loop.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy the trip and I hope I have been of some help to you.

Dan

Or exit I-10 at Bowie and go visit Fort Bowie National Historic Site on the way to Chiracahua. It's a neat, remote NPS site on the old Butterfield Stagecoach route with the remains of a western outpost fort. The fort guarded the famous Apache Pass. Very remote but very cool....and they're always looking for volunteer caretakers if you like the place.

Thanks Dan and Wendy.  Good suggestions.  We'll put them on the list of must see!!

D2

D2 said:
Dan,

We are preparing for our trip to tour the southwest.? What would be your suggestions for must see/must stay campgrounds in SE Arizona?

Thanks and welcome to the forum.

D2

Welcome to the RV Forum.  Glad you found us.  Any chance you could join us at the RV Forum Moab rally 28 April to 7 may. Lot to see there and on the way to and from there.

Glad you found us.

Aztrvman said:
We sure as heck going to try and be there.? Look forward to meeting you folks.

Dan

Great Better call Portal at 1-800- 574-2028 for reservations  and let them know you are with the RV Forum group.  Let us know what site you will be on.

Not to get off your target subject too far but, park the bus somewhere in Bisbee and spend the night in the haunted Copper Queen hotel. it's fabulous and many famous people have hung their hats there. jmo

keithb said:
Not to get off your target subject too far but, park the bus somewhere in Bisbee and spend the night in the haunted Copper Queen hotel. it's fabulous and many famous people have hung their hats there. jmo

I concur completely about the Copper Queen Hotel.  You folks that have been there could indeed testify about the unique charm of this historic building.  There is a very colorful and eclectic crowd of residents that inhabit the old historic stores in "Old Bisbee"  Some very unique and different crafts and art.  Do not forget the mine tour as well! 

Dan

D2 -
welcome to rv forum, and an early welcome to Arizona!
all the places mentioned are right on - but I'll add Kartchner Caverns - they have a campgrounf there also.
the tours are somewhere around $15 each, but you won't find a more preserved cave anywhere!
a place you'll be glad to brag about to everyone.
there's a couple nice rv parks near St. David also.
depending on your time, while in Bisbee, look in at the Shady Dell - sort of a roadside motel - but each unit is an old travel trailer, all fixed up, with period furniture and appliances. they even have an old converted boat you can stay in - they have a website, check it out on line,. they used to have an old diner serving breakfast and lunch, but I'm not sure it's still open.

aztrvman-
I forgot to ask - how did you like the transition from class C to class A?
we have a 27 class c - and have looked at the neptune as a possible move up - what should we know about the change?
thanks.

joester said:
aztrvman-
I forgot to ask - how did you like the transition from class C to class A?
we have a 27 class c - and have looked at the neptune as a possible move up - what should we know about the change?
thanks.

I'm not aztrvman, but last year, we went from a 24-foot Class C to a 27-foot Class A and are very happy with the change. The slideout helped a lot, too. It's amazing how much bigger the Class A seems even without the slide out.

thanks - we're in our 10th year in our 27 Tioga class c - and love it. we have another 10 years to retirement, but have been looking hard at the 2005 model 32pbd - HR/Monaco. they discontinued the 32' in 2006, but I keep lookng at the different on-line rv sites - have already seen it used at 89k - so in a few years - we'll have the money to pick up a used one.
sure would like to see it run on biodiesel - I'll have to do more research on that part.
again, welcome Monica and Dan top the forum. please jump in and tell us more about what you like about that 34' pdd.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom