Hello from someone new to RV'ing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bugman04

Hello,  My name is Jose and I am new to RV'ing.  I am learning as I go.  I will start small :) with some sort of lightweight towable as there are some budget limitations.  From my research I see there is quite a  bit of these out there with a wide variety of prices! Oh... I'm so confused... ???

I have a Chrysler T&C minivan (just one year old) and it can tow up to 3800 pounds, hence the need for lightweight.  I've been looking at folding trailers, pop-ups, etc.  Our favorite so far is the Trail Manor series where the 26 footer has a weight of less thatn 2600 pounds. 

We plan to go to the show in Atlanta this weekend and learn some more.  Hey I've got the wife on my side now.  We are both looking to embark in this new adventure in our lives.  After 22 years in the USN and still working we deserve the weekend breaks!

Looking forward to being part of the community.

Jose

Jose, welcome to our forum. Having the wife on board with the idea sure helps a lot. Good luck in your search and let us know if we can answer any questions.

Yes it is nice to have her onboard, specially since this is something we can do together.  This weekend we visited some campgrounds around the N. GA area which are close to home and would allow some weekend escapes.  We are looking forward to getting involved.

I have a co-worker who is very involved in RV'ing with her husband and kids.  She has provided a lot of information and encouragement.  Things seem to be working out and hopefully the RV show will give us a better idea. 

As I mentioned in the original post, the weight problem is the primary concern.  I am trying to balance out weight vs comfort specially for her.  Her old idea of camping was the Holiday Inn  :) and I want to make sure she is comfortable. 

Welcome, bugman, and we wish you every success as you & your wife approach your new adventure.

You are wise to be concerned about weight - I suspect the 3800 lb tow rating on your minivan is somewhat optimistic. If it came from a sales brochure, it is probably a generic number for the model family and not specific to your particular van.  For handling safety and performance, you will want to stay well below that.  It is amazingly easy to load a lot of weight into both trailer and tow vehicle, so it is best to assume the trailer will weigh in at its GVWR figure (max load) when actually in use.

Be aware that the 3800 lb tow rating assumes your minivan is empty, so you must subtract the weight of anything you put inside - includng the wife!  That rating will also not include optional equipment installed on the van, including the trailer hitch itself

Thanks for the information.  I had heard this before also.  I got the 3800 pound rating from the Trail Manor site and from other sites that focus on towing and trailers etc.  Maybe now I will be able to get truck I've always wanted...hmmm.... ::)

Hey bugman, it worked for me.  I bought my 26' TT and towed it with a Mitsubishi Montero Sport.  It had a 5000lb tow rating, and my trailer was 4200 dry.  It towed it, but it wasn't pretty.  I towed it once!  I now have a Ford F-250.  Man what a difference.  If you can afford it, it is definitely worth it.  You can probably end up getting little bigger and better RV as well.

Back
Top Bottom