Hello from southern England.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tony Hunt

Hello and Happy new year from Dorset in southern England.  My wife Gwen and I  have just purchased a 1992 Newmar Kountry star RV to live in full time on a site.  We also own a 27ft English made motorhome for travelling around the UK & Europe in..  This is a Fiat based 2.8 Turbo diesal which is a much more economical vehicle to travel around our overcrowded roads in.  The Newmar definatly has the edge for creature comforts / living conditions but at 10MPG doesnt compare with the Fiats average 25MPG.  With fuel in Europe at roughly $7 per gallon theres no contest.
I would dearly like to meet somebody in the States who actually owns or has owned one of these older Newmar Kountry Stars. When we purchased the vehicle it came minus all the handbooks etc for all the equipment onboard.  Being new to RVs you can imagine we are totally  lost when it comes to operating the  equipment.  Hope to take part in this great looking forum of yours.

Hi Tony and welcome to our friendly forum.

The appliances in the Newmar should be generic. i.e. the same stuff gets put in numerous brands of motorhome. Which appliances are you having trouble with? Or, by equipment, do you mean chassis-related stuff? Specifically what do you need help with?

A class A motorhome would seem to be an expensive way to sit in one place vs buying say a static caravan  ???

Let us know if you have any questions and we'll do our best to get them answered.

Thanks for the welcome Tom.    We tried the Caravan route.  We had one of the largest european  tourers we could find. Trouble was it just didnt have the comfort levels of the RV.    Also in England we have to be careful with city planners.  They wont allow you to live in anything that looks too permanent without planning permission for it which in most cases is unlikely to be given. That ruled out the larger living caravans such as you have in the states.    An RV on wheels with an engine is a movable object if you get my drift.  we have it connected to the city water and sewage plus power which can all be disconnected in a few minutes if we wish to travel.
We havent actually got any problems with the RVs equipment at the moment (touch wood)  I just need to know how everything works and where its all situated in case of trouble.  The only item we are desperate to get advice  with is the Sharp Carousel microwave / Oven.    In England we tend to use  straight forward Gas or Electric Ovens in our kitchens plus burner rings and then have a seperate small microwave  for defrosting, fast food cooking etc.  My wife cant get to grips just yet with the Sharp because it seems so complicated and different to what shes used to.    Hopefully I have a manual on order from a company in the states called Vance baldwin.  Its just taking a while to get here.    If one of your members has a copy of this manual that could be sent as a PDF file I wouldnt say no however.    If I need help with any of the other onboard equipment  I will let you know.     
P.S.  I didnt pay a lot more for the Newmar than I would have  done for a large caravan, and with only 10,000 miles on the speedo I figure I can always resell it if I want a change.  :)

Hi Tony,

I am new here also but welcome to this great site? ;D

Have you tried the Sharp site for the manual ? I think this is the link http://www.sharpusa.com/products/support/0,2309,,00.html

EDIT

Here's another site that might have the manual (scroll down for the free pdf files)  http://www.microwavedisplay.com/

Tony

I see that Kenneth has suggested the Sharp web site. Failing that, let us know which model of Carousel you have. Mine is the R-1855A microwave/convection. The manual is 27 pages including unnecessary stuff, but I'll gladly send you a copy of the meat if it's the right model (or close to it).

Tony,

Welcome! Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you're talking about a combination microwave/convection oven. If so, there are many Forum folks that have those unit and will be happy to assist. Personally, I have a gas oven and seperate gas cooktop (I think you call them burner rings), but would welcome the MW/convection unit instead - less total space and I don't use the oven very often except for the occasional pizza.

Let us know if we can help with any other questions you may have :) 

Welcome to the RV Forum.  Glad you found us.  I think you will be able to get the manual on the Sharp website Kenneth provided.  If not let us know the model of your Sharp Microwave and maybe somebody will have the manual that can be copied and provided to you.

Thanks for the replies guys.  I went the sharp route and they were a waste of time especially  Sharp in the UK.  Sharp in the US is who suggested I try Vance Baldwin.  Im hoping when christmas dies down I might get one in the post from them.  Its the Sharp carousel  R1830    1992 vintage.  If anybody has one.    We also seem to be missing the meat sensor for the oven.  I take it its a seperate item  (is it? )      We have managed to work out how to  heat and cook simple things with the oven.    We havent sorted out the browning side of things ie how to brown a Roast  or    potatoes for instance.        My wife still wont believe that these microwave / convection ovens can be better than  an ordinary oven and hot plates that we are used to in the UK.

Another question I have for you guys is why  couldnt I add a couple of photos of our motorhomes with my original first post.  I wanted to post a picture of our 27ft  English motorhome  as well as a pic of the Newmar.   

Tony Hunt said:
why couldnt I add a couple of photos of our motorhomes with my original first post. I wanted to post a picture of our 27ft English motorhome as well as a pic of the Newmar.

Tony, here's the procedure for attaching photos to a message (also accessible by clicking the Resources button in the toolbar above and scrolling down to Forum navigation tips). Is this procedure not working for you?

Tony Hunt said:
We also seem to be missing the meat sensor for the oven.

Tony, I'd normally suggest you contact the Repair Clinic, but I just checked and didn't see the part listed for your model. You could try sending them an email (address is on their site). I've found them very helpful in the past.

I'd have expected the meat sensor to come with the oven. Could the prior owner have put it away in "a safe place" such as in a drawer or under the sink?

Tony

Go ahead and email it to me - click on the small envelope icon beneath my name/avatar. I'll get it resized & uploaded.

Thanks

:) Hi Tony Hunt. Welcome to the Forum. I think I have seen you on MHF asking about the Microwave/Convection Oven manual. We recently bought a 1996 Newmar Mountain Aire over here in the USA (currently touring). We received no manuals either but Sandy has gradually worked out how the Microwave/Convection Oven works. I will try and get her to write some sort of instructions that may help you out. They are worth the trouble of using them. We would have been lost without our's while we are on the road. The Newmar doesn't have an LPG oven.

Tony,

I see the photo is now atttached to your prior message. Thanks.

Thanks Tom.  Did you not receive the pic of our english motorhome. I especially sent that one because it was taken in the valleys near to Glynneath.  I gather your from wales.

Attachments

• Wales.jpg
    Wales.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 10
John & Sandy.  Nice to catch up with you.  I was given your names by Keith  ( Kands ) on the MHF website.  He said to contact you online if I could.  He mentioned that you had bought a Newmar.  Anything you can pass on that might be of help will be gratefully received.      Especially to do with the sharp microwave.    I gather once you know how they work they are better than an oven and grill  that we brits are used to.    My wifes not amused at all at first glance. Dinners are definatly suffering so please help.
We are really impressed with the rest of the Newmars equipment.  These RVs are a different world to the standard European camper.  Just the space with one slide out is amazing, cant imagine what it would be like with four slide outs.  These yanks  certainly like their comforts.    :)

Tony, the only one I received was the one I resized and attached to your message. The wonders of cyberspace I suppose.

Glynneath - not too far from my home town of Aberafan (aka Port Talbot) and the town of Neath (lower down the Neath valley) where I lived when I was first married. Are you trying to make me homesick?  ;D

By coincidence, yesterday I was looking at some photos I'd taken at Gynneath on one of my return visits - photos of the Afon Nedd (aka river Neath) and a narrow boat on the canal.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom