Hello from Sterling Alaska

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Life time Alaskan
Willing to trade Ak travel tips for wisdom and anecdotes.
I joined to day hoping to get some answers on why my Yamaha EF2000iS Gen. is quiting and shutting down after running for 5 minutes. Ive been completely through the fuel and spark system, new gas etc... carb is clean float works. bowl fills vent cap on gas tank is fine. Im frustrated. I run it with and with out loads with the same result
Thanks for reading
Charles

Welcome.  I'm sure your Alaskan experience will be highly regarded here.  I know I am planning a trip from NE US for next year, maybe the year after.  Looking for thoughts on what might be the best time of year to be there.
As for your Yamaha genset - I don't have any experience with it, specifically. 
Probably first think I would check is the low oil level sensor switch, if there is one.  Usually just pull the connector to test. Other sensors?
Will it do the 5 minute run thing as often as you try it?  Like time after time, or do you have to wait some period of time between run cycles?  I have agenset that has a frequency sensor on the generator end and if there is no current produced, the genset shuts down.

Just a thought, if you recently changed your oil, check to see if you used the right viscosity or changed brands. It has been noted by several users that some oils will foam up and leave the sensor indicating a low oil situation. Easy way is to recheck your oil level to be sure it is full, then bypass the oil sensor to see if it stays running. That may also show a bad oil sensor, some shut off the engine even when there is adequate oil in the engine, happens as they age.

Phil-T
Thanks for the info. I'll look for sensors to bypass and test didn't try that.
As for coming up north it depends on your desire, if you want to fish for salmon than this time of year is best but very crowded. Fall happens in late Aug.- Sept and it gets pretty cool after that. Fall is beautiful here though. Winter can be pretty amazing as well. The Chena Hotsprings in winter is a must. Late winter Feb-March we usually have our snow and the Northern Lights are awesome from the hotsprings. I can give you better advice once you consider your choices. Driving up is best in my opinion. Taking a ferry is...well not really Alaska.

Catblaster,

I think this might be my issue. Its probably 6-7 yrs old only used a few times a year but I never have changed the oil. Probably a little low but I can see it at the bottom of the fill port. Ill research the oil type and do a change.
Catblaster? Ive gotta hear how that tag got stuck on you. Haha
Thanks

Kickstartbuddy said:
Catblaster,

I think this might be my issue. Its probably 6-7 yrs old only used a few times a year but I never have changed the oil. Probably a little low but I can see it at the bottom of the fill port. Ill research the oil type and do a change.
Catblaster? Ive gotta hear how that tag got stuck on you. Haha
Thanks

about the only thing I can do is to assure you that it has nothing to do with felines. A now deceased ? friend hung that on me almost 30 years ago along with another nickname...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlSpackler
Back
Top Bottom