Hello from WA State

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slark

My husband and I are in our 60's and are actively looking for a used Class C. The simpler the better as we are new to Class C. We've camped with tents and pop up campers. We are miserable living in over 55 trailer park community here in Puyallup WA. We go to parks, the coast, walking trails and find nature very healing. We are absorbing and researching as much as possible. Thank you for this forum, we appreciate your thoughts and input!
S & L

Do your research, talk to dealers and have a potential purchase thoroughly inspected by an independent rv tech and an auto mechanic. It won't eliminate problems but should help keep them to a manageable level. You can find attractive deals privately but be aware the waranty expires when he sees your tail lights. Yeah Puyallup is a pretty dreary place right now, some sun and warmth would be really welcome in the PNW.

Greetings.
Well, I think your looking at this all wrong. Class Cs especially smaller ones can be really cramped, built on lighter chassis, and lack proper storage.
Instead or at least look at class As too. For about the same price you will get more of everything..
But IMHO motor homes of any ilk are too expensive to own. I'm a personal fan of fifth wheel trailers for their towability, ease of maneuvering and lots more living space for the dollars spent.

Last edited:
Greetings.
Well, I think your looking at this all wrong. Class Vs especially smaller ones can be really cramped, built on lighter chassis, and lack proper storage.
Instead or at least look at class As too. For about the same price you will get more of everything..
But IMHO motor homes of any ilk are too expensive to own. I'm a personal fan of fifth wheel trailers for their towability, ease of maneuvering and lots more living space for the dollars spent.
I agree, touring fifth wheels, is not any different than what we live in now, except with wheels and a new change of scenery when ever we move! It comes down to money. We have a 2017 Honda CRV. We can't tow a Casita and haven't the funds for a big truck and trailer. Everyone has gone through significant changes due to pandemic. Our drastic change came in the form of my husband having a second brain surgery that rendered him with significant short term memory loss. He was retired AF, went to school and earned 2 master degrees and was a practicing CPA for 10 years. Before being classified as disabled, he was fired from CPA firm for not fulfilling his work load. This man went back to work too quick, under pressure from partners at firm. We sold our home, paid off our debts with proceeds, downsized from 2500 sq ft home to a 700 sq ft trailer....debt free. After 5 years of living in this parking lot, we can no longer make ends meet. I've worked my entire life in retail ,schools, factories and dream job as a pet sitter. All CD's have been cashed in. We hope to sell our trailer for 60K. We have NOTHING else except each other,married 43 years. What can we buy, used, to get out into nature and live in until we move into low income senior apartment in 10--15 years. This is not easy, and certainly not what we thought would become of us! But we are in good health, and want to live the best we can. My husband has put everyone's happiness before his own his entire life. He needs this little bit of freedom. I want to be there with him.

Wow! Your story is not unique believe me. My wife tomorrow starts radiation treatment for her third cancer, two breast cancer. This last round started with a mastectomy. Before that we discovered all the discs in her lower back are gone. Because of that we in 2018 sold our RV after 35 years. Luckily we bought a small house in rural Oregon before the giant spike in prices, so we are OK for now on social security. Sadly what your thinking probably is not a good idea. RVs are a depreciating asset. Buying a used motor home could wind up costing you way more in maintenance that your income. Insurance, parking fees, maintenance, gas etc is just plane expensive. Think about where you would stay when it breaks down and is in the shop for a week? If you blow up a motor or transmission do you have the 5K in reserve to get it fixed? 6 new MH tires alone could cost you 3000 dollars. Camp ground fees even long term could run 600 a month in mediocre parks.
Most full timers consider 2000 a month as minimum to get by, and at that many supplement their money by camp hosting for several months a year.
I personally think you might be better off buying a mfg home in a senior park someplace warm.

Wow! Your story is not unique believe me. My wife tomorrow starts radiation treatment for her third cancer, two breast cancer. This last round started with a mastectomy. Before that we discovered all the discs in her lower back are gone. Because of that we in 2018 sold our RV after 35 years. Luckily we bought a small house in rural Oregon before the giant spike in prices, so we are OK for now on social security. Sadly what your thinking probably is not a good idea. RVs are a depreciating asset. Buying a used motor home could wind up costing you way more in maintenance that your income. Insurance, parking fees, maintenance, gas etc is just plane expensive. Think about where you would stay when it breaks down and is in the shop for a week? If you blow up a motor or transmission do you have the 5K in reserve to get it fixed? 6 new MH tires alone could cost you 3000 dollars. Camp ground fees even long term could run 600 a month in mediocre parks.
Most full timers consider 2000 a month as minimum to get by, and at that many supplement their money by camp hosting for several months a year.
I personally think you might be better off buying a mfg home in a senior park someplace warm.
Your words ring true. Seems we keep hitting a brick wall with buying a used rv. We wanted to improve our life by seeing more of the West and being safe and secure at the same time. It took me years to have the guts to write to this forum and Cheap RV living. It's very disappointing to be pointed to reality that it isn't going to work. We will be open to purchase a safe rv, but the reality is what it is. We will keep looking forward. Thank you!

Good luck to you and your wife. Yes, medical challenges can alter the way we see life and what is important. Sending best wishes and strength to you both!

This is the other half of the slark combo deal. What are your opinions on which is the best way to talk to your partner, assuming we are driving two different vehicles. Do the hand held two way radios work well when on the road, communicating back and forth, or is a CB or some other device recommended for use when driving verse when hiking. We will be traveling predominately in the west during our initial trips and one of us tends to drive like an old man and slows the other one down, causing potential gaps between us. Thank you for your input.

Walkie talkies, or as their referred to now FRS can work well up to 25 miles depending on terrain. But on the road 5 miles is probably more realistic.
Quick question, why 2 vehicles? If your towing a trailer, then the tow vehicle is usually sufficient. If your talking a motor home, you can generally tow a car. Of course then you need to be sure your car can be towed 4 down. But that's still way cheaper than driving a separate car.

Frugal RV'ing is possible but you have to set your expectations to align with that. Start line-item adding the expected costs and see what's possible. Ask questions where you get stuck.

Now is the time to do things together that you enjoy. Find a way and make it happen on any level you can!

A used class C can run anywhere from a couple thousand bucks, to more than 6 figures. It all depends on what you can afford, and what you're willing to work with. An old/cheap RV may or may not be a significant savings over something that is newer, it all depends on the condition, and what you're able to fix and maintain yourself.

Walkie talkies, or as their referred to now FRS can work well up to 25 miles depending on terrain.
I'm not sure where you find a range of 25 miles for FRS (maybe mountain top to mountain top?), but generally a half mile to a mile is more likely if there are no obstructions, at least when we've used them, in spite of advertising hype. CB walkie talkies might be a tad better (without external antennas, which are illegal on FRS), but mobile CB units can go several miles, depending on conditions.

GMRS radios (which need a license) can use much more power than FRS radios, and in some places there are repeaters you can use (not everywhere, though).

Just a further note: In 2017 the FCC changed FRS rules so that the HTs (Handheld Transmitters) can use up to 2 watts on channels 1-7 and on channels 15-22, with 500 milliwatts on the remaining channels. GMRS is allowed 5 watts on ch. 1-7 and (basically for mobile radios) 50 watts on ch. 15-22.

So with those changes, if you have a newer radio with the higher power available, you can get somewhat more range on ch. 1-7 and 15-22, making them more useful, but still nowhere near the 25 miles or more you sometimes see advertised. Those longer ranges ARE often available for GMRS with external antennas and the extra power, though.

I'm in Burien and have a 22ft classC. It's new to me but built in 92. I bought it in Aug this year.
I know there are several on this site that would tell you to run from a purchase like mine. Nay sayers. Maybe they had bad results with something similar or have just know bad juju. Sorry bout that nay sayers. My purchase had been everything and more than i wished.

Is it big enough for two, not really But short term works fine for two. Everything works except the gen. It turns over and runs but for not more that 10 minutes. I'll use youtube and Tiercel's thread to trouble shoot. One step at a time. Right now my steps are drive to the coast, fish, eat, sleep, fish. Drive home and reboot for the same trip give or take a State.

Slark, You can do it. Go look at Class C's and see what size works for you both. There are owners that take care of their things and hopefully you can find one of those who has decided to sell. Might take some time to find what you need but it's out there.

We've used the little handheld FRS radios when traveling as a caravan, and they are helpful at RV sites sometimes too! If we go beyond their range while driving and need to contact the other person, we have cell phones.

When caravanning, put the slowest vehicle first (RV). Cars follow. That helps eliminate a faster driver from getting separated, if the point is to travel together.

I'm in Burien and have a 22ft classC. It's new to me but built in 92. I bought it in Aug this year.
I know there are several on this site that would tell you to run from a purchase like mine. Nay sayers. Maybe they had bad results with something similar or have just know bad juju. Sorry bout that nay sayers. My purchase had been everything and more than i wished.

Is it big enough for two, not really But short term works fine for two. Everything works except the gen. It turns over and runs but for not more that 10 minutes. I'll use youtube and Tiercel's thread to trouble shoot. One step at a time. Right now my steps are drive to the coast, fish, eat, sleep, fish. Drive home and reboot for the same trip give or take a State.

Slark, You can do it. Go look at Class C's and see what size works for you both. There are owners that take care of their things and hopefully you can find one of those who has decided to sell. Might take some time to find what you need but it's out there.
Thank you all for your comments. We are in the holding pattern waiting to hear back from seller regarding our counter offer. This is a 2004 Bigfoot 28RQ. Asking $39,000 (initially it was over 40K). We really liked it. New Tires,brakes and 54,000 miles. We offered $31,500. They countered $35,575. We need to stick with budget. Final offer from us $32,000. My husband is disabled retired military, but before brain surgeries and disability, he was a practicing CPA. He still is 10 times smarter with numbers than most! We are learning patients and what is vital...we're better off than many others. But we have very limited funds. Fingers crossed! Thank you for feedback!

Money down on 2004 Bigfoot 29RQ. Next, RV inspection. Depending on results, we either go through with purchasing , renegotiate price (due to inspection result) or walk away with deposit, minus RV Inspection fee. Fingers crossed!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom