Hello, I'm a new member from Europe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry about that. They claim to have covered other vehicles from UK I guess not RVs though.

It came across as though they used to cover European RV's in the past but don't/can't now.

We do have ESTAs now but they are only valid for 3 months and obtained online. To stay longer we have to get to an embassy for an interview for a full visitor visa that lasts for 10 years allowing 6 month maximum visits.

We are insured through National General but we have a registered truck and trailer which were purchased in the US.

It may be advantageous to contact a broker in the state where your friends live to see if they can do some legwork for you.

If there's anything else I can help with let me know.

It came across as though they used to cover European RV's in the past but don't/can't now.

We do have ESTAs now but they are only valid for 3 months and obtained online. To stay longer we have to get to an embassy for an interview for a full visitor visa that lasts for 10 years allowing 6 month maximum visits.
Ah. I did not know that. Thanks for that info. If I can find another insurance company that works with RVs, I will pass it along. Maybe there is a member out there somewhere that shows up with better info for you.

I am a little curious......What do you expect the total costs to bring and use the RV to the USA and back again will be ?

I am sure this is doable because I have seen other Europeans bring their own vehicles to the U.S. Just will need a lot of research.

And all this reminds me of way back in late 60s when my ex and I bought a Volkswagon in the Netherlands and had a horrible time getting a U.S title for it when we got back. Ended up driving with Netherlands' plates for 18 months until we could get Dutch government to send letter to Michigan Sec of State explaining that they would not release the title. Michigan finally accepted the letter and bill of sale and gave us a title and new license plates. No one ever questioned our bill of sale or date on the plates, and we had no problems with insurance, but we were very happy to have this finally solved.

Reactions: v v
Not much help, but only recently we have seen a Netherlands registered vehicle and a German registered vehicle touring around Utah. My point is, if they managed to get things sorted, I'm sure you will too.

British Passport holders do not need visas to enter the country. They use an ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorization)
As the OP said, ESTA visa are only good for 3 months and cannot be extended.

Best to check that kind of info before passing it along. We have a lot of the info on our Visitors To The USA forum:

We are insured through National General but we have a registered truck and trailer which were purchased in the US.

It may be advantageous to contact a broker in the state where your friends live to see if they can do some legwork for you.

If there's anything else I can help with let me know.

Thanks Ma'am

Ah. I did not know that. Thanks for that info. If I can find another insurance company that works with RVs, I will pass it along. Maybe there is a member out there somewhere that shows up with better info for you.

I am a little curious......What do you expect the total costs to bring and use the RV to the USA and back again will be ?

Costs are changing as we speak due to fuel surcharges and inflation.
Best guess on current prices including port charges, marine insurance for the vehicle and contents, estimated US vehicle insurance for 12 months plus shipping from one of 3 European ports to either Halifax NS or Baltimore MD and return in total around 15,000 USD +/- $ 1000. This may reduce as the shipping cost was at the peak of the oil price about 2 weeks ago and the fuel surcharge was substantial.

Lets hope you can get it done. Thats quite a bit of cash but if you want a RV here, I guess it is the only thing that makes sense. All other options would seem to be more expensive and maybe not as convenient.

The other large expense to be expected will be the fuel costs here in the USA. It's not cheap and if you travel to lets say California, its crazy. There is time for things to settle down some but I do not see it happening anytime soon.

What a small world, I live about 45 miles from Kinder, and even sort of knew Mr Fausto (my family owned a food distribution company, and sold to some of his restaurants) at one time about 25 years ago he had 10-15 in total, 2-3 like the one in Kinder, plus a couple of Mexican food themed places (Fausto's Fiesta Cafe), the rest were Fausto's Fried Chicken locations), Now I think it is down to just the one in Kinder, plus a handful of the Fried Chicken locations that are still in business, with several of them closing up over the last 2-3 years.

Our truck and trailer insurance costs around $2000 every 6 months but we take highest cover. So $4000 for a year even though we don't use them for half that time. Coachnet recovery is an additional $180.

These do not include medical insurance for ourselves which we buy in the UK and strongly suggest you have too.

The other large expense to be expected will be the fuel costs here in the USA. It's not cheap and if you travel to lets say California, its crazy. There is time for things to settle down some but I do not see it happening anytime soon.
Telling someone from Europe that US fuel prices are high will probably cause them to laugh out loud!

Telling someone from Europe that US fuel prices are high will probably cause them to laugh out loud

Gas prices in Europe have nothing to do with the price doubling here in the USA over the last 2 months and the increase in expenses for a year trip in a motorhome in the USA. If a member is budgeting for their trip, this needs to be considered as the doubling of fuel costs for such a trip will have a big impact on the expense sheet.

No registration required providing the imported vehicle exits the US/Canada/Mexico within 12 months.
Right, I am aware of that. The legal problem is that you can be asked to show evidence you will comply, e.g. pre-planned shipping arrangements. Especially since you are stating that you expect to stay right up to the limit. It is my understanding that US Customs and the US DOT are quite fussy about the distinction between a visit and importing a vehicle permanently. And that the vehicle will be confiscated if for any reason it does NOT exit the USA on time. But that's your worry, not mine. I'm just looking at the insurance point of view and the fact that you will not have a US-based vehicle registration or a US-based driving license to show a US insurer. Many agents will not know how to write a policy in that case, even if the insurer permits it. And more than a few insurers will not accept it anyway.

Another consideration is that most US states have a limit on the time they will accept a visitor's driving license. 30-90 days is typical. You will probably be moving around that you won't be in any one state longer than that, but don't be surprised if the question arises. Especially if you use the friends address in other legal documentation.

This article may help.

It may be useful to inquire with a US insurance agency in a region where foreign visitors with vehicles are more common. Examples might include the US-Mexico border towns, Detroit, Michigan, or Seattle, Washington. I also came across this website that claims to arrange insurance for foreign visitors.

Last edited:
Found this insurance company that may be of help. They claim to offer RV insurance, but I could not find anything about UK registration.

The other thought I had was to call a RV rental company here in the USA. Maybe their insurance companies could help or even offer a policy.

Also. Here is a list of some other possibilities to sort through.

Lets hope you can get it done. Thats quite a bit of cash but if you want a RV here, I guess it is the only thing that makes sense. All other options would seem to be more expensive and maybe not as convenient.

Yes it is quite a bit of cash to us too, but what value do you put on an opportunity and a journey of a lifetime?

Telling someone from Europe that US fuel prices are high will probably cause them to laugh out loud!
Gas prices in Europe have nothing to do with the price doubling here in the USA over the last 2 months and the increase in expenses for a year trip in a motorhome in the USA. If a member is budgeting for their trip, this needs to be considered as the doubling of fuel costs for such a trip will have a big impact on the expense sheet.

I think you're both right.

What a small world, I live about 45 miles from Kinder, and even sort of knew Mr Fausto (my family owned a food distribution company, and sold to some of his restaurants) at one time about 25 years ago he had 10-15 in total, 2-3 like the one in Kinder, plus a couple of Mexican food themed places (Fausto's Fiesta Cafe), the rest were Fausto's Fried Chicken locations), Now I think it is down to just the one in Kinder, plus a handful of the Fried Chicken locations that are still in business, with several of them closing up over the last 2-3 years.

Indeed it's a small world.
It's strange though that although we were in Louisiana the very first time we ate red bean and rice we were on an Amtrak train travelling from LA to New Orleans. My questions about the meal made most of the dining car laugh.

Last edited:
What do Canadian or Mexican visitors use?
From what I have found, Canada and Mexico crossings are a much larger market and is offered by most Mexican and Canadian insurers. In both cases, always check with the insurer to be sure you are covered before a planned crossing.

Our truck and trailer insurance costs around $2000 every 6 months but we take highest cover. So $4000 for a year even though we don't use them for half that time. Coachnet recovery is an additional $180.

These do not include medical insurance for ourselves which we buy in the UK and strongly suggest you have too.

Is insurance sold in 6 month segments?

Thanks, I'll remember these details and not surprised at your insurance premium.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sandlers
Back
Top Bottom