Hello my fellow rv ers! I have found my mothership...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gypsysoleil

I am a 52 year old single mom of a 17 3/4 daughter therefore about to be a empty nester. I bought a 26' RV, a 1994 Dutchment Travel Trailer. I currently live on the "homestead" where I grew up in Wisconsin. It is wonderful for now but I plan to pull out of here in August 2023, the maiden voyage. I need a few major things done but I've managed to put insulation and walls up, new flooring and the electricity WAS working until recently. I am living in it with 2 cats (I take VERY good care of them and their....potty and litter= no smell!) in order to not have mice. I had planned to sell this baby but now i'm not so sure. I also need to find a truck to pull it before then. I would like to share some of the pictures ive taken along the way...thanks so much for reading my post, i am hoping to meet nice people on here to support my journey!

P.S. I will get pics up of the bedroom, I had to build 2 twin beds so my daughter of course had a place to sleep. I put a rod up with a tapestry of her choice to give her some privacy. Shes never here anyway but I'll always have a place for my girl!

Attachments

• 20221128_144949.jpg
    20221128_144949.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 20220518_190821.jpg
    20220518_190821.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 20220501_142047.jpg
    20220501_142047.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 20220501_142057.jpg
    20220501_142057.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 20221031_122816.jpg
    20221031_122816.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 20220329_123241.jpg
    20220329_123241.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 20221031_122816.jpg
    20221031_122816.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 20220501_142047.jpg
    20220501_142047.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 34
Have an RV is a great way to build skills! Congrats and keep working on it.

Can't wait to hear you're on the road!
Thanks and I am, and loving the work in progress while i live in it. I cant wait to get on the road either. I always go back and forth about selling this or trading for one that i can drive and access living space without going outside. i have some time to figure that out, and am going to buy a truck in the spring and see if i can drive this bad boy! lol thanks again!

Hi gypsy and welcome to RVForum. Did you do the remodeling yourself? If so, congratulations.
Yes I did it myself. I had help getting the plywood and cutting and installing but the rest I have done myself. I built a temporary lounge "chair" for the living room space and also built 2 beds to accomodate myself and my daughter as well as have good storage space underneath the beds. they are supported by posts from our 100+ year old barn..and I did the floors just peel and stick vinyl but I love it. thanks for the support wizard dude!

Welcome Gypsy. Great job on the remodeling. It is looking great. That is actually a good looking old trailer. I can understand you being on the fence about selling it. There are pros and cons for a pull trailer like that, and a Class A. With a Class A, you will have to have a vehicle to tow so you can drive around when you get to your destinations. But the ease of just pulling over and going to the back to eat lunch, or use the potty, can be pretty compelling towards the Class A. With the TT, you still have to have a truck to pull it with, like you said. I don't know the weights on that one, but it looks big enough where you might be into 3/4 ton truck territory. So that is something to consider. Myself, I like driving my truck, and my wife (and dog) likes the room it provides. There are many other pros and cons, but like you said, you have a little time to think all that over.

So, again, welcome to the forum, and hope to see you down the road.

Hi and welcome.

Where are you planning on travelling to in August? Bear in mind the temperature and weather in many States is not conducive to RV living in the winter.

You're doing a great job with your rig!

Welcome to the forum. Have you had a chance to get up in the roof to check all seams and joints? You will be looking for caulking that has cracked, if you find some, do not use silicon to repair them. Use a product called Dicor self leveling caulk or similar made for rv roofs.

Checking the roof is a must annual inspection. Not doing that would be a bummer if you developed a water leak after doing all that interior work.

RDicor comes in two types. One is for horizontal application like a flat roof and the other would be for vertical applications. NEVER use silicon. Nothing will stick to it after it dries

Last edited:
Another thing to check is the age of the tires including a spare. Any tires 7 or 8 years old should be replaced. Check the manufacturers date code.

Welcome from another sconnie on the west side of the state. Looks like it is coming along well
Hi! I've never heard "sconnie" before I LOVE THAT! haha Omg this is a thing. Pass it along, I will too see how many people start saying that across the states yano? lol I'm super weird so ...I tend to attract amazing people who get me. Thanks for connecting, maybe we will meet up someday somewhere south lol south I can't say it enough anywhere....south haha!

Hi and welcome.

Where are you planning on travelling to in August? Bear in mind the temperature and weather in many States is not conducive to RV living in the winter.

You're doing a great job with your rig!
Hi!! Thanks so much for reading and replying. I am currently "living" in it as far as hanging out and sleeping, I dont have running water and have to have the electricity via extension cord. I had electricity for months but it blew out idk! I am planning to have someone hook me up all the way with running water, electricity (I think I know what needs to happen, I may try it myself lol with supervision I have a guy...I am determined to stick it out through this wisconsin weather and if all goes well this baby will be okay to bring anywhere. I also house/pet sit and want to venture across the states and bring my home with me just to have it and possibly have a pet idk. All pipe dreams as of now. I am getting the last of the wall treatments this week and finishing touches aesthetically speaking..funny thing is I was going strong with all the important things and lost touch with "a guy" and kind of got stuck. I am going to take the toilet out and replace with a self composting one. also until i get the water running i am purchasing a portable shower. I have a huge shower I can shower in and a grey water tank that's easy to empty. Thank you for the compliment it really means a lot!

Another thing to check is the age of the tires including a spare. Any tires 7 or 8 years old should be replaced. Check the manufacturers date code.
Good call. I know they're older than that but it sat so long the tread is brand new on all of them. Idk about any spare lol I have a lot to learn. Thats why I am on here. Taking the winter to figure it all out completely and be ready by august! Thanks for the tip I need all the tips I can get! loving this for me! haha

Good call. I know they're older than that but it sat so long the tread is brand new on all of them. Idk about any spare lol I have a lot to learn. Thats why I am on here. Taking the winter to figure it all out completely and be ready by august! Thanks for the tip I need all the tips I can get! loving this for me! haha
You cannot judge the tires by just looking at the tread. Tires break down from the inside out especially if they sat without moving for a few years. You have to check the dates. If you don’t know what to look for let us know

Hi!! Thanks so much for reading and replying. I am currently "living" in it as far as hanging out and sleeping, I dont have running water and have to have the electricity via extension cord. I had electricity for months but it blew out idk! I am planning to have someone hook me up all the way with running water, electricity (I think I know what needs to happen, I may try it myself lol with supervision I have a guy...I am determined to stick it out through this wisconsin weather and if all goes well this baby will be okay to bring anywhere. I also house/pet sit and want to venture across the states and bring my home with me just to have it and possibly have a pet idk. All pipe dreams as of now. I am getting the last of the wall treatments this week and finishing touches aesthetically speaking..funny thing is I was going strong with all the important things and lost touch with "a guy" and kind of got stuck. I am going to take the toilet out and replace with a self composting one. also until i get the water running i am purchasing a portable shower. I have a huge shower I can shower in and a grey water tank that's easy to empty. Thank you for the compliment it really means a lot!
I never did answer the question, sorry i guess im a bit chatty today lol I want to go to the smoky mountains, the east coast, florida keys, pan handle and up to southern california. thats the first time i actually put that down in clear terms wow lol but i may house or pet sit anywhere so that remains to be seen. I plan to either house sit or work online like i am doing now and simply travel here and there but coming back to Wisco regularly for my daughter. who knows? she may move to florida and we will end up there. Or I may find a community that i love and bring my adult by then daughter down and her boyfriend too. Kind of exciting, I am definitely on a weird little evolution and turning point in my life which is both exciting and terrifying. Which generally means youre on the right path...okay im going to put the coffee down now and go clean something. lol have a great day sweeties!

You cannot judge the tires by just looking at the tread. Tires break down from the inside out especially if they sat without moving for a few years. You have to check the dates. If you don’t know what to look for let us know
Yes I was thinking that, dry rot or whatever. Thank you so much, I will NOT pull out of here without checking and replacing if necessary tires that are bad. Thanks again, 'preciatecha!

Welcome to the forum. Have you had a chance to get up in the roof to check all seams and joints? You will be looking for caulking that has cracked, if you find some, do not use silicon to repair them. Use a product called Dicor self leveling caulk or similar made for rv roofs.

Checking the roof is a must annual inspection. Not doing that would be a bummer if you developed a water leak after doing all that interior work.

RDicor comes in two types. One is for horizontal application like a flat roof and the other would be for vertical applications. NEVER use silicon. Nothing will stick to it after it dries
Wow okay! I used silicone to seal the edges where the trim was recently put on. It was a dumpster fire when I bought it really. I have been up there but dont know what i'm looking for. I dont have leaks from the ceiling at the moment but had a couple leaks coming from the edges where the new trim was put on like garbage. Been a work in progress and I KNOW it sounds stupid to get the thing to look nice but I bought it last march (2022) and have been slowly working on getting the insulation and walls up. During that time I was made aware of any leaks and believe I took care of them but it is important that I check and truly I think I will do something to cover the whole thing. I think theres a product you can roll on, maybe that's what you're referring to?

Welcome Gypsy. Great job on the remodeling. It is looking great. That is actually a good looking old trailer. I can understand you being on the fence about selling it. There are pros and cons for a pull trailer like that, and a Class A. With a Class A, you will have to have a vehicle to tow so you can drive around when you get to your destinations. But the ease of just pulling over and going to the back to eat lunch, or use the potty, can be pretty compelling towards the Class A. With the TT, you still have to have a truck to pull it with, like you said. I don't know the weights on that one, but it looks big enough where you might be into 3/4 ton truck territory. So that is something to consider. Myself, I like driving my truck, and my wife (and dog) likes the room it provides. There are many other pros and cons, but like you said, you have a little time to think all that over.

So, again, welcome to the forum, and hope to see you down the road.
Right on! Hey thanks so much for the info...at least i have an IDEA now of what it probably weighs. I have considered that many times and was aware that plywood would up the weight but....i didnt know what else to do and i wanted good protection so I could be in it anywhere any time including wisco. I prob cant afford a truck that i would need to pull this but i believe that God makes a way when there isnt one so i am not worried. I will do my part and save money and look around and follow Gods will! I still need to name her! I imagine she and my truck will need seperate names too. how fun! Yes I hope I run into my friends on here someday, I will be out there so ....excited for the endless possibilities!

I am going to take the toilet out and replace with a self composting one. also until i get the water running i am purchasing a portable shower. I have a huge shower I can shower in and a grey water tank that's easy to empty.
So does this imply you're going to move all the plumbing into heated space and make this a 4 season trailer? Which is pretty much what you'd have to do if you expect to stay in it anywhere south of 32F. If you had the walls open that would be the time to seal any gaps and bump up the insulation. Cosmetic is "nice" but unless you build it for cold you won't be able to keep up with the propane it will take to heat it.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
(ex-"sconnie")

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom