Hello people! Finally talked the wife into buying an RV today!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mdfuller

Now I am a little overwhelmed by all the things you need to do to maintain/enjoy one of these things!  We bought a 2000 TIOGA 23B.  Seems to be in great shape with only 35K miles.  I am reading about winterizing/dewinterizing, but I am confused because this baby will be used in the middle of the winter here in WI.  Half the reason I bought this thing is for Packer games (don't tell my wife ;)!  Glad I found this place!

Mike and Jen

Congratulations on the RV....I'm sure you and the wife will have many great trips in the Tioga. RVs are great for tailgate parties at football games, even at Packers games :) I'm no expert on the winterizing side of RV owning....I let Mike take care of that, but we live in Colorado and I know he uses a lot of the pink RV antifreeze when we come and go on trips in the winter. But rest assured there are plenty of folks here who can help you out on that question.....although some will suggest that you drive south rather than buy the pink stuff.

Enjoy.

GO BRONCOS !!!

Thanks for the reply.  I have been searching and it seems half the time the answer for winterizing is going south :)

I am guessing I just winterize and drive to the games and keep it winterized.  It seems I can use the toilet and flush with antifreeze (hopefully not a whole lot).  As long as I don't run the water I think I will be fine.

I am a huge Packer fan, but I have always enjoyed watching the Broncos as Elway was one of my favorite players!

So I wish your Broncos good luck, but just not as much as my PACKERS!

mdfuller said:
I am a huge Packer fan, but I have always enjoyed watching the Broncos as Elway was one of my favorite players!

So I wish your Broncos good luck, but just not as much as my PACKERS!

And the Packers are my favorite team AFTER my Broncos (but don't tell Karl).

Hope someone can give you some hints on winterizing/not winterizing the motorhome so you can enjoy those Packer games.

Little off topic, but after browsing some 'other' RV forums - I know where I will be spending most of my time!  This one seems far and away better than the rest!

I bought season tickets this year and the RV seems cheap in comparison!

If you are just taking the RV to a game, freezing is probably a minor concern during the game. It's what comes after that need concern you. If you can't dump the tanks before going home (or when you get there), you will definitely need to add antifreeze to them or a source of heat to keep them thawed.  How much depends on the temperatures in your area.

Ditto for fresh water tank and lines.  I'd suggest carrying jugs of water for use in the RV rather than de-winterizing the fresh water lines each time.

Thanks for the advice!  I agree - I am going to keep it winterized when going to the games.  How do I use the toilet with the RV winterized?  Sorry for all the dumb questions!

Mike & Jen,

Welcome to the RV Forum.  Please look around, join in on any of the ongoing discussions, start new discussions, or ask questions.  Thanks for joining us.  I see you have already received some responses to your question regarding winterization.

How do I use the toilet with the RV winterized?

Same way as you always do - stand, sit.... ;D

Oh, that way! I would suggest keeping one of those white, five gallon containers filled with water mixed with an appropriate amount of RV anti-freeze in the toilet area along with a large ladle. Add a scoop or two of water, do what's necessary, flush, and add another scoop or two to rinse. Make sure your water pump is turned off so you don't drain the anti-freeze from the system.

Brilliant!  That way it won't freeze if I cannot get it pumped for a few days either.  I was wondering how I was going to flush and not empty the antifreeze system, but as you stated shutting the water pump off will take care of that.  Man I already love this place!

We've gone off before in winter without winterizing (oh, yeah, sure, Colorado winters aren't anything compared with Wisconsin winters). All we do is keep it winterized, take gallon jugs of water (old bleach bottles, the bottles from the pink anti-freeze you poured in in the fall, anything like that, easy to pick up....no herbicide or insecticide bottles), pour a good glug in when you finish you're business and stop and drain the black tank on the way home, rinsing with lots of water when you're done draining. Just be sure you keep the pump off so you don't pump out your antifreeze when flushing.

Thanks for all the pointers.  I just posted again in the newcomers forum as I am getting ready to buy accessories for my first trip.  Stop over there if you're bored!  Thanks again.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom