Hello to all from Cuernavaca Mexico

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamesk

My names is James, originally from the UK, I now live with my Mexican wife and son Santiago in Sunny Mexico.  We have been traveling this amazing country for the passed 3 years and have decided that we want to continue this wonderful lifestyle.  My old VW golf is getting tired of dragging our possessions around, and the cost of renting a place to stay wherever we go seems to be a waste of money.  So, we have decided that a class C motor home would be a better way to go.  I have no experience in this regard and would like to hear from anyone who feels they could help us decide on a vehicle.  I am definitely in the used vehicle category, 20,000 - 30,000 dollar range, we would be living in the unit full time, perhaps parking for long spells.  The weather here in most of Mexico allows for lots of outdoor living, I am a career artist and paint wherever I go, this I would do outdoors or at least under an awning.  Otherwise our lifestyle is very simple, reliability is important, a strong motor for some of the mountainous terrain would be good.

MY RV is a little more $ than that but drop me a line and I will explain.

How large a unit are you looking for?  A Class A will give you more living space than a Class C for any given length and Class A's can be found as small as 26 feet.

Actually, for your expected use a trailer and a van or pick-up truck would make more sense. It's probably less expensive to drive and manitain and you don't have an expensive engine & transmission sitting there unused while your "home" is parked.  Insurance will be less as well.

There are lots of used rigs available on the US maket - can you buy there?  You should be able to get a nice rig for $30k or less.

James wrote (privately):  I don?t think I would buy in Mexico all vehicles are expensive here and Mexicans just don?t RV.  I haven?t looked at the trailer options, can you give me some directions regarding types and brands.
James

I'll answer this publicly and invite others to offer their input. A similar question was asked and answered in another thread.    This one concerned fifth wheels, but several of the brands mentioned also have travel trailers.  See http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=5365.0 

I particularly like Holiday Rambler Alumascape travel trailers. Nash/Arctic Fox is another solid brand, as is Sunnybrook.

Back
Top Bottom