Hello to All!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pierat

Hi -

We're looking to RV occasionally with a view to possibly full-timing on full retirement in a couple of years. Currently, we are interested in shopping while we learn. We live in Tucson, Arizona, so we're already in one of the finest winter locations, but we certainly would appreciate visiting cooler climes in the summer, as well as traveling in winter. We're a couple with three small dogs. Kids grew and flew -- separately, as we're newlyweds of four years.

Presently, we have a Class A Diesel as a most likely possibility, but of course they're expensive and we've never driven one, which may shock us out of the idea, I don't know. Perhaps sticking to about 32' max would help handling -- and maybe allow us to visit more remote areas?

My notion is to bide our time and look for a fairly recent used unit, and I think to look for something that basically has heavier or overbuilt equipment so things don't strain as much and last longer, such as drive train, suspension, batteries, generator, a/c-heat, etc. Any suggestions along any of these lines would be most welcome.

Hello to all and we're looking forward to seeing you here, and on the road one day.

- John

The choice depends a lot on your budget.  Winnebago makes a nice 32 foot Journey and used ones are usually quite reasonably priced.  Quite a bit upscale from that is the 32 foot Country Coach Intrigue that was available a few years ago.

I don't think there is a whole lot of difference between 32 feet and 36 feet, though, from a handling perspective or when parking one either, and most people end up trading for a larger rig than their initial choice.

Driving a Class A is easy - the high driving position and big windshield provides an outstanding view of the road and traffic.

Hi John (and wife and dogs),

You might want to try renting a Class A in the size range you're thinking of before taking the plunge. But be careful, you're probably going to love it and want to go off more and more. I'm usually ready to go within a day or so of getting back from a trip. What a great place you're in .... you can travel around Arizona in the winter and head north to Colorado and Utah in the summer.

Enjoy

Thank you for your responses. We are looking into renting maybe two or three different RVs to get the flavor of it all a bit better.

I'm glad to hear you say Class A is easy to drive. I have visions of taking a truck driving course. Which might be a decent idea, anyway -- maybe I could pick up casual work here and there, driving...? (Licenses might be a problem if they vary from state to state.)

Hi John,

Welcome to the RV Forum.  Please ask any questions you have, join in on any of the ongoing discussions, or start new discussions.  Thanks for joining us.

Back
Top Bottom