Hello

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

healheelclick

Hi! I'm Paige and I live on the east coast, but I am close to purchasing an RV on the west coast. I will fly out to WA state next month and drive it back across the country. I had a good friend who was gung ho to come with me, but she just backed out tonight, and now I am facing this drive alone. I've never really RV'd before and this seems like a crazy way to get my feet wet. What do any of you experienced RVers think about this? Am I crazy to plan to do this alone? Will I be safe as a single woman out there on the road? Thank you for any and all advice!

A few other random questions:

Is there a way to easily find places that are safe to park and sleep? Walmarts along your route, etc?

What about a way to look for the nearest gas station? I will be traveling from WA to NC within 2 wks.

Overnighting in any public place puts you at greater risk than at a campground, so the choice of using free places is also a safety choice. Most Walmarts are patrolled 24/7 by private security these days, but that may not mean all that much, with bizarre things going on at all hours.  I've passed up a couple myself because they looked too risky.  I've also seen reports of the security guys actually warning RVers NOT to overnight at some locations.

Are you crazy? Well, maybe a little but not beyond help.

While speaking about WalMarts, not all of them allow you to stay in their lots. When you do find one, go inside and ask to speak to a manager. Some towns have ordinances stopping you from parking overnight in a Walmart.
I also make it a habit to have a shopping cart with a couple of items in the cart just to show them you are supporting their business.
I also make it a point to not open any slides and make it look like I'm camping.  It may not be possible with certain floor plans. If you do need to open a slide, try to position the RV so that the slide out is not on the side of traffic. 

Welcome to the RV Forum Paige

Here's a link to a site that may help you on your journey as far as camping.

https://freecampsites.net/

Read the reviews and use good judgement

If your new to driving a RV you should plan on 350 to 400 miles a day. Yes you can drive faster but you will find you not only burn more gas, it's also more stressful. Also note your MPG as you get started. You don't want to run out of gas in the middle of nowhere.

The gas buddy app will help you locate gas stations along your route.

As far a traveling along as a woman...Just use common sense. You may be surprised how many women are out there traveling.

Good luck

Hello Paige and welcome to the group. I have driven across country in an RV several times and loved the trips. There is nothing dangerous about driving an RV solo, even for a woman. Yes there are things that can happen to you and yes there are dangers. But I don't feel it to be any more dangerous than just being at home and doing your normal day to day things. For example:

"An estimated 6,227 pedestrians were killed in traffic in 2018, according to the study from the Governors Highway Safety Association, a projection based on data from the first half of the year. That figure represents a striking rise from a decade earlier, when 4,109 pedestrians were killed in traffic."

It is dangerous just to cross the street...

Welcome aboard!

Are you buying a brand new RV or a used one? 

Do you know the make, model and year?  Gas or diesel? We can give you some help on it based on those facts.

I'd suggest staying at RV parks.  If you have a question you can ask anybody at an RV park and they will help you out 99% of the time. All RVer's were new at one time and understand your predicament of not knowing a lot of things yet.

If you are having problems with the RV then the RV park knows where to get good local help.

Notify your credit card company you are traveling out of state. 

We have a couple lady friends who have RV's and they both travel alone all over the country. You can do it too.

I'm not a fan of using Walmart as a stopover. We always stay at RV parks.

Your average speed will be 50 miles an hour. Use that as a basis for figuring travel time. 

Get into your overnight spot BEFORE dark. You don't want to be trying to park your RV in the dark. Don't ask me how I know.

You do not stop at truck inspection/weight scales. 

Where back east? What route are you going to take.?

Thanks everyone, for your input. Arch, it is a C class 2008 Winnebago Access w 22,000 mi on it. It has a Ford F350 engine. $32k. What do y'all think?
It is in meticulous/like new condition, has been kept in a garage, it literally looks brand new from the 100 pics the owners have sent me.

Oh, is there a way to map out a route back to the east coast with the flattest landscape?

Sounds like you got a good deal. 

I wouldn't worry about going over mountains with that, you'll do fine. Just keep your speed down going down mountains, don't ride the brakes.

Where on the east coast?  Google maps will plot a map for you. I suggest staying on interstate highways as there is help along the way in case of problems with the RV.

Keep in mind if you break down in the middle of nowhere and your cellphone doesn't have signal....dial 911 anyways. All carriers monitor that and you will probably get through.  I've done it and got help.  What cellphone do you have?  Verizon has the best coverage across the country.

healheelclick said:
Thanks everyone, for your input. Arch, it is a C class 2008 Winnebago Access w 22,000 mi on it. It has a Ford F350 engine. $32k. What do y'all think?
It is in meticulous/like new condition, has been kept in a garage, it literally looks brand new from the 100 pics the owners have sent me.

Oh, is there a way to map out a route back to the east coast with the flattest landscape?
Current NADA lists it as worth $18k but that is in average condition. If it is as good as you say it would be worth $32k.

https://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2008/Winnebago/M-22B-Ford/3048482/Values

Where are you located and where is the RV?

Back
Top Bottom