Hello!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Suzn1253

Hello!

Somewhere I said I'd post a pic of my stuff and life got in the way.  I'm sure there are much more impressive set ups however I will add a pic of ours here.  It's not a great photo.  Someday more to come.  We have a Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax Diesel 4x4.  We have the Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS Travel Trailer (although I'm already eyeing a Grand Design Solitude 380FL 5th wheel and we'd need a new truck.  My husband isn't all that happy).  :) 

We took possession of our Travel Trailer on Friday, June 14th.  We spent the weekend in Lion Country Safari RV Park in West Palm Beach not too far from the dealership.  We stayed and found about 5 problems so we had to bring it back so we could get the stuff fixed before we made our trek to Vermont.  One of the problems was that the cable labeled to the grey tank was unable to be opened.  It was supposedly fixed along with a chair that hadn't been assembled properly, an outlet that wouldn't work, a broken sway bar assembly and a few more minor things. 

We picked it up on Wednesday and began our trek through the Carolinas and Maryland, where we now have arrived in NJ.  We are staying here a few days before heading to VT.  During our first night in the Carolinas we found that the grey tank cable still wouldn't open.  Finally after a day of pushing and pulling we did get it to open but the grey tank would not drain.  We had a service tech come out only to tell us he'd be back the next day to open the bottom of the RV so he could get to the valve itself.  He needed his partner.  The two men arrived the next day and after some diagnostic work and before they took the RV apart, they discovered that the grey and black cables, which were next to one another, were labeled incorrectly and were reversed.  When they opened the cable labeled black tank, the grey water drained.  (Can you tell me that the service tech at the dealership didn't know that even after working on it twice?).  Thankfully we saved some heartache by not having the entire trailer dismantled. 

However, here's a list of some of the stuff that has broken since having the trailer about 7 days.  The toilet seat has unbolted.  I can't find the bolt, but it had to have been there and now is not.  The black tank had a cover at the end of the "tube".  That cover is broken and will not stay in place.  The handle to the real grey tank which was once the black tank has now gone AWOL.  We parked last night and found it gone.  So to open it we need to use pliers.  Last night we turned on the heat only to find a horrid smell of burning something, and to have our smoke detector alarm (I have read this might be common but I am not wanting to take a chance).  At least one of the blinds does not stay put.  I actually called Grand Design and they told me they are warranty covered so when we get to VT we will get that stuff fixed or looked at. 

Frankly even with all of this I have had a great time.  We've learned so much.  What once took us literally over an hour (unhitching/ leveling / hooking up water, sewer, electric, and unpacking from the truck to the trailer, has become a fine tuned dance that takes much less time now and I believe that when we are even more experienced it will be a quickie.  I've learned about Mud Daubers and have purchased the screens, I've learned about leveling and purchased those Anderson levelers which work great, I can actually hitch and unhitch, but my husband is the bomb when it comes to driving, turning, and backing in, and the real bonus is that I've found the RV parks teaming with some of the nicest, most helpful people I've ever met.  I keep thinking (and saying) the glass is half full.  So far the benefits have outweighed the disasters and the disasters have not been all that bad.  Not as bad as a leak or a slide falling off.  

It's another world, still lots to learn, kinda scary sometimes, but really, really amazingly great, so far.  Maybe the novelty will wear off and it will become more trouble than it?s worth.  But right now, it?s fun to learn something new, meet new and interesting people, and live a different kind of life.   

As always thank you for all of your help and advice and all that jazz!  :) 

Sue xoxox

Attachments

• Truck.Trailer.jpg
    Truck.Trailer.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 46
Suzn1253 said:
(although I'm already eyeing a Grand Design Solitude 380FL 5th wheel and we'd need a new truck.  My husband isn't all that happy).  :) 
;D ;D ;D
That might change after you see what they'll give you on your slightly used Trailer.  ;)
Glad you are getting things sorted out.  Sounds typical of the warranty service.  The furnace odor, seriously might just be the dust burning off.  I would let it run full blast, 10 minutes, watching carefully  :))

Nice looking set-up.  Travel safely  :))

I know you didn't mention this specifically but here's some food for thought. When you actually arrive at a campground don't let anyone else help you back in or pull through a site. Do it as a team and only listen to what each other are saying or directing. Lots of park employees like to try and lend a helping hand when you're trying to get into a space but I always tell them I'll listen to what my wife is saying. Basically employees or other campers don't really care about your equipment if you should happen to rub a tree or post, or God forbid run over the water spigot, but you know darn well the minute that happens that once friendly campground attendant is going to be on you for damages to the park.

Hi Jkoht,

Very good advice.  We have already experienced that and it was interesting for sure.  We bought walkie-talkies so we could clearly talk even if I was at the rear of the trailer.  We had a pull through site but the pull-out was literally impossible.  Two guys came over and started to help.  I kept talking over one of the guys so he actually said something not very nice to me.  But really we were struggling.  I thought maybe he could help us so I backed off a bit.  However when he began to direct my husband the same "route" as we had tried, and stated something like, "Oh it's just that top thing that will take a hit", I told him to back off himself.  No hits on a 2 week old trailer Mister and actually it would not have just been the "rain spout" that would have hit the tree it would have been the back end of the trailer. 

The next place we went to was our first back in.  You know I told my husband to stop saying we're new at it.  People love to tramp over newbies.  I hate to say it but it's true.  My husband backed in just fine but the "ranch hand" made him pull forward and back in again.  Then he almost had him back into the fire pit.  The guy says to let him in the cab of the truck and he'll back it in, and my husband looked at me.  I said forget it, not your truck, not your trailer, we'll be fine.  And we were. 

I still thought maybe it was us.  Thanks for the clarification!!

Sue :) 

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom