Hello!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phil10448

I'm Phil and just joined the RV Forum although we've been rv'ing since 1998. We have a 30-1/2 foot Coachmen Leprechaun bought new in 1998 that now has about 43,500 miles, most of which were with a toad (a 2000 VW Jetta TDI with stick shift). We started towing in mid 2001 when we moved from New Hampshire to Arizona after I retired from Hewlett Packard.

The Coachmen Leprechaun's mechanical reliability has been flawless, but the REMCO braking system has been a horror story.  I'll be making a separate post to the REMCO thread about it. IMHO, It's way beyond DANGEROUS! :mad:

On RV trips, I make extensive use of a Garmin Streetpilot III which has been a tremendous help on each and every trip.  We've been using it for about the last three years.  We also use XM Satellite Radio which is wonderful because you can get about 150 stations (no matter where you are in the country) and also weather/traffic updates for most metro areas.  It has saved me lots of grief.

We also take along Dish 500 Satellite TV on our trips. A 'Satellite finder' is a very helpful thing to have along!

Internet goes with us, too, using a laptop, a USB adapter cable  and Verizon cellphone with their 'no extra cost' low speed (14.4K--but with an 'accelerator' program) web access which only charges you for minutes used.  Use it on weekends or after 9PM and it's free! It's a great way to keep up with E-Mail and pay bills or do banking.

That's about all for the intro...

Phil

Welcome to the RV Forum.  We are glad you found us.  Please join in the ongoing discussions, start new discussions, or ask any questions you might have relating to the RVing lifestyle.  Sounds like you have quite a bit of RVing experience.  We use the Garmin 2610 and also find it very helpful.

phil10448 said:
The Coachmen Leprechaun's mechanical reliability has been flawless, but the REMCO braking system has been a horror story.  I'll be making a separate post to the REMCO thread about it. IMHO, It's way beyond DANGEROUS! :mad:

We have a 1998 Coachmen Pathfinder with about 60,000 miles on it.  I am also in Arizona.  Do you mind me asking where you get your Coachmen serviced here?  I hate the idea of Camping World or an RV Dealer for anything that is part of the "Ford" simply because it would seem a local mechanic could do it so much more cheaply.  I need the brakes serviced and was looking for some referrals.  The generator also needs to be serviced (just routine maintenance) if you know of an RV place that you can recommend.

Thanks,

Derek

dneighbo said:
We have a 1998 Coachmen Pathfinder with about 60,000 miles on it.  I am also in Arizona.  Do you mind me asking where you get your Coachmen serviced here?  I hate the idea of Camping World or an RV Dealer for anything that is part of the "Ford" simply because it would seem a local mechanic could do it so much more cheaply.  I need the brakes serviced and was looking for some referrals.  The generator also needs to be serviced (just routine maintenance) if you know of an RV place that you can recommend.

Thanks,

Derek

Derek

I believe Sun City RV in Peoria is (was) a Coachmen dealer and did a pretty good job a couple of years ago. In Avondale, Cummins is building a Coach Care facility on Van Buren west of 99th. I don't know when it will be completed and open but the Coach Care facilities are excellent for soup to nuts service on RVs and generators.

Hi Phil - Welcome - I just joined yesterday, though I have been a lurker for several years. Our coachman was a lepruchaun mini-motorhome, and it, too was a divine machine. Now that we are kind of retired, and our plan is to travel frequently, though not full time, we have bought a National Sea Breeze Bus - diesel. And we are delighted. Have been RVing for nearly 34 years. Great lifestyle. I could share more, but I need to log off.

I just got a phone call from our daughter, who is moving in the morning with this question..."You've moved before, do you have any suggestions as to what to do with a baby (17 mo) who is just freaking out?

My response was, "bring him up here." And pack so he can spend the night if we decide to have him do that" So my little guy is going to arrive, and I need to get something fixed for him for dinner.

I'll be back another time. And I know we're all waiting to hear about your upcoming trip. Relax and enjoy!

Best,

BernerGran

BernerGran said:
I just joined yesterday, though I have been a lurker for several years.

We're glad you came out of the woodwork  ;D

dneighbo said:

Thanks,

Derek
Hi Derek,

I've been doing the oil/filter/gas filter maintenance on the RV myself. I use Mobil 1 5W30 oil for the V-10 and use the best oil filters each 5,000 miles.  Haven't needed to do anything about brakes yet, because they are still at 85% of original depth.  From what I've seen with friends, I would avoid service by any local RV dealers such as Sun City RV or Camping World.  My friends have used them and reported ripoffs.  Since we go back to New Hampshire each summer, where we originally bought this unit, we still have them service it where we bought it... Campers Inn in Nashua, NH. 

As to the generator, it's easy to service!  All you need to do is periodically change the oil, and change the filter on the incoming gasoline line.  Again, I've been doing this myself.  IMHO, anyone who owns a motor home should make it part of his 'hobby' for maintenance.  If you have an extended warranty and do your own work, keep good records of your activites and receipts for the materials! It's essential if an issue ever comes up.

If I had a serious problem locally, or on the road, I would take it to a Ford Truck Repair Facility.  That's one of the nice things about a "C" version RV.  The Ford dealers will service them because there are no 'issues' about 'who is responsible'!  It's basically a "Ford Econoline Truck".  Of course, this would only apply to "Chassis, engine and Drive Train issues".  The Ford Truck dealers will not deal with issues about things like Refrigerators, Stoves, Propane gas or Generators, Water tanks, Furnaces, Pumps, etc.

If you want work done by a 'local', I can recommend Trevor, the owner of United Car Care II in Youngtown, AZ (623-977-1280).  He is an independent repair facility, has the courage to confront new challenges, and does excellent work at reasonable prices. He's done several necessary actions on our RV to counteract damages done by Sams Club after a tire changeover during which they broke the oil seals on the RV's differential.

Phil

Derek: "I need the brakes serviced and was looking for some referrals."

Others have given you rec.s for chassis service, here is one for electrical fixes:
ron wicklund
D & R family RV repair
6344 w orangewood #7
glendale, AZ 85301
623-842-1265

Hi Phil,

Welcome!

Wherebouts in AZ?

We live in Albuquerque and travel over to Flagstaff several times a year.

Glad you're here!

BernerGran :)

Back
Top Bottom