Hello

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
B

bjohn

I am BJohn from Alabama.  Planning to retire in a year or two.  My husband and I are trying to make a decision about Full Timing.  We also are thinking about a Park Model in one location.  And using our small travel trailer to make short trips to other locations.  We don't know whether to buy a Fifth Wheel or do the Park Model.  Any advice is greatly appreciated.  We are leaning toward to Fifth Wheel so we don't get bored with just one spot.

Hi BJohn and welcome to our forum. I'm sure others will have an opinion, but I'd think that the decision between a park model and a 5th wheel would depend on if you plan to make longer/further trips away from your home base.

Sounds reasonable.  I am sure we would want to go further than Alabama and Florida.  My husbands family is in Virginia and Calif.  So I am sure we would like to go there.

Hi BJohn,

Welcome to the forum. As I see it, owning a park model is like owning a cottage or time share or condo or...... You must go back to the same location again and again and again.... With a 5th wheel you could hook up and head down the road when you get tired of the view from your backyard or the neighbors start to get on your nerves. Usually neighbors are not a problem. :)

Bjohn,

I agree with the previous comments. A park model is fine if you've found a place you absolutely love and want to spend 90% (or more) of your time there. One of the great benefits of retirement is being able to pick up and travel wherever and whenever you choose. A park model carries many of the same costs and concerns of a stick house - insurance, maintenance, taxes or yearly rental, etc. where an RV clearly has advantages over it. Example: if you don't like your neighbors, simply pack up and move! ;D

Secondly, you only mention a park model vs. 5th wheel. You really should consider a class A or class C rv also; each has unique advantages/disadvantages over either a park model or 5'er. Look at all your options and base your decision on what you really want to do for the forseeable future. Ask lots of questions; that's what we're here for :)

Karl 

Sounds like you want to park in one spot a lot of the time but do some serious traveling.  A 5W or large travel trailer would be ideal.    Why maintain two trailers?  Staying in one place a significant period sort of mitigates against a motor home.  Anything with an engine should be run frequently. 

After extensive thinking and planning. My husband and I have come to the same conclusions.  Thank you all so much.  We are now looking at 5th wheels.  We love to travel and like meeting new people.  I think we would be a lot happier with mobility.  If you don't like where you live you can easily move.  I love that idea.  Also the fifth wheel is actually larger than a park model.  Park Model is 400 sq ft and the 5w is 700 sq ft.  Slide outs make it bigger.  We are going to a RV show in Birmingham AL tomorrow and start shopping for our new 5 W. 
Thanks again
Hope to meet some of you nice people on the road.

Also the fifth wheel is actually larger than a park model.  Park Model is 400 sq ft and the 5w is 700 sq ft.  Slide outs make it bigger.

I'd check that arithmetic - there is no way an RV has 700 sq ft, even with 4 slides. Well, I suppose a 45 footer with quad slides could get around 600 sq ft, but that's certainly not typical and you would be looking at a huge tow vehicle to move it around. A typical large 5W will have also have about 300-400 sq ft of living space.

"Park models" are limited by law to 400 sq ft - any larger and it becomes a "mobile home" and has to comply with more rigorous building codes. You can get a bigger semi-permanent trailer but it will cost more because the construction is much better in all reagrds.

"Park models" are limited by law to 400 sq ft - any larger and it becomes a "mobile home" and has to comply with more rigorous building codes.

I learned something new again today.

I don't see the square footage as relevant to the issue under discussion.  We just purchased a new fifth wheel and whatever the square footage it is what we think will work for us.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom