Hello!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Billabong

Just saying "hi". I'm hoping to purchase a travel trailer soon, and this board has some great tips.

We've tented for many years, but with the recent addition of our first child, I feel it's time for something a little more substantial than fabric protecting us from the elements.
I also hope that having a camper would allow us more quick weekend getaways (please tell me it does... :) ). We live less than a one hour drive from several camp sites, which are way less expensive then the surrounding hotels.
I've been looking at several different travel trailers, since we already have a big honkin' gas-guzzlin' SUV to pull it.

Someone needs to post a FAQ or Guide: "How To Get Your Wife/Husband To Agree To Purchasing an RV"  ;D

Take care,
Bill

Hi Bill and welcome to our forum.

As for convincing the other half, we had a discussion here on that subject recently with some interesting answers. Click here to view.

Hi Bill,

Welcome to the RV Forum.  Glad you found us.  Please join in on any of the ongoing discussions, ask questions, or start new discussions.  Thanks for joining us.

It should be easy to get your wife to agree to moving from a tent and/or hotel to an RV. Just point out to her that she'll know who's been sitting on your potty (not to mention not having to get up in the middle of the night and go outside to find the potty), you won't have to worry about bedbugs or any other kinds of bugs from someone else (have you seen the programs on what things they find on hotel beds? ICK), and you won't be sleeping on the ground any more. We used to backpack, then moved to tent camping, then camper shell on a small pickup, then Volkswagon pop-up, followed by several RVs. I wouldn't go back to sleeping in a tent for love or money.....well, maybe for money if the price was right.

I've been looking at several different travel trailers, since we already have a big honkin' gas-guzzlin' SUV to pull it.

And what is the tow rating of that BHGG SUV?  That is going to determined the trailer that you can safely pull.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Actually, she's onboard for a trailer! We talked about it last night, and after presenting the facts (many similar to what you stated, Wendy), she agreed to start looking. Woo hoo!

The BHGG is an 02 Ford Expedition 5.4L 4x4. With the factory hitch on there now, 5000lbs. If I get the weight distro hitch, 7400.
Will need to add a brake controller, though.
Even though most trailers I've looked at are around 3500lbs (empty), I'll probably get the w.d. hitch just for safety's sake.

The BHGG is an 02 Ford Expedition 5.4L 4x4. With the factory hitch on there now, 5000lbs. If I get the weight distro hitch, 7400.
Will need to add a brake controller, though.
Even though most trailers I've looked at are around 3500lbs (empty), I'll probably get the w.d. hitch just for safety's sake.

The real number you want to look at on a trailer is the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) -- since you do not have a scaled weight available.? Remember your empty weight does not include things like gear, water, propane, awnings, and so forth.? ?The GVWR gives you a conservative number.? ? Anyway it looks like your rig is good for things in the 5000 lb range on down fer sure.? The tow ratings for Expeditions are fairly complex -- you may want to check on the Trailer Life Tow Rating tables at www.trailerlife.com (click on the URL).

A WD system is always a good idea, even with a lightweight trailer -- be sure to add an antisway system to the rig.  A good WD system, like the Reese units, can last for a number of trailers in the weight range appropriate for the unit.  Mine has good thru three trailers and 15 years.

You all have fun heah.  ;D

Glad you're looking, Bill. That's the first step and half the fun! And keep thinking about my personal favorite reason for having an RV....it's MY bathroom, it's always with me, and I know who's used it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom