Help 1986 bounder RV want to buy might need a rear end replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melissa31

So I'm about ready to buy my mom this 1986 bounder RV it says it runs everything's good but it might need a rear end replacement what does that entail what parts am I looking forward to have replaced what is the rear end completely and how much realistically would it be for all the parts please anybody let me know any kind of help would be better than none mom's homeless so I want to kind of put her in a RV as soon as possible thanks

So I'm about ready to buy my mom this 1986 bounder RV it says it runs everything's good but it might need a rear end replacement what does that entail what parts am I looking forward to have replaced what is the rear end completely and how much realistically would it be for all the parts please anybody let me know any kind of help would be better than none mom's homeless so I want to kind of put her in a RV as soon as possible thanks
Slow down way way down, first you need a mechanical inspection a new rear end can be a few hundred for a geear set to thousands for axles hubs bearings gears u joints etc etc 1984 is 35 years old you need a full rv inspection but i can almost say with certainty its going to need more money to fix than what your paying for it.

Except for very unusual circumstances there's no way living in a motorhome is an economical choice. They are rolling money pits even when working right and unless you're super-handy with lots of time and tools, it's a disappointment at best and liability at worst. Compounding it with a rush/panic fix is only going to make it more complicated and expensive. Likely a more practical solution would be a trailer as the acquisition is less and there's no driveline issues to address. Even if you have to contract a guy with a truck to schlep it around you'd be money ahead.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Do not buy a dodgy RV for your mom. You will regret it. As Mark says it's not an economical choice in the long run.

Also I don't know your plans but there is a lady in the park I live in that is in a tough situation. She is probably about 80 and she lives in a TT. She has collected a bunch of cats and her son lives about 4 hours away.

She needs a lot of help, her TT stinks of cat crap and she has hit up just about everyone i the RV Park multiple times for help. A few weeks ago she fell out of bed and got wedged between the bed and the wall for 10 hours before anyone heard her banging on the wall of the RV.

She could not get up or out and 3 guys had to thread sheets under her and lift her out. The park owner called the son and read him the riot act about needing to take care of her. It was a very dangerous situation and he promised to call her every day and come by more often.

I have my doubts. An RV park should not be considered a storage facility for aging parents.

Does she have a place to park it? I find most RV parks to be crowded and expensive. Throw in the maintenance required on an older vehicle, and soon the costs exceed standard, low-income housing. Did she plan on joining the folks on Nomadland?

Like said before these things are money traps . After the rear end what else ? It'd be like throwing money down a rabbit hole .

That's exactly what I'm doing now with my newly acquired 92 Pace Arrow . One thing after another . But I'm able to do my own work and im having fun .

Mine needs a whole lot of little things but nothing major . Has a good low mileage drive train and needs little suspension work.

If i had to rely on paying for someone else to do the work it wouldn't be worth it . The parts alone would be cost prohibitive not to mention the labor.

Not a good idea in your case

mom's homeless so I want to kind of put her in a RV as soon as possible thanks
I suspect you don't realize the costs involved in making/keeping it livable -- as many have mentioned above, the ongoing maintenance needs (will you be there for her, so you can do all of that), lot rental, etc. will make it cheaper to find a small apartment or such for her. Were it my mom being homeless, I'd have her living with me, though, to get the care needed and to keep expenses and her workload to a minimum.

I suspect you don't realize the costs involved in making/keeping it livable -- as many have mentioned above, the ongoing maintenance needs (will you be there for her, so you can do all of that), lot rental, etc. will make it cheaper to find a small apartment or such for her. Were it my mom being homeless, I'd have her living with me, though, to get the care needed and to keep expenses and her workload to a minimum.
Yeah you've got to fill tanks . empty tanks maintain generator and who knows what else depending on your mothers lifestyle

Now when i get mine sustainable to being a stand alone livable MH. I only plan on Boondocking with it . I have a home this would be a recreational occasion vehicle hence the term RV

To put a twist on a recent comment, the most expensive RV in the world is an old motorhome. An RV may look big but there is not much actual living space. A 400 square foot efficiency apartment is a better choice. If the roof leaks or the A/C, heater, stove, or plumbing quits working the landlord will fix it.

I hope she atleast viewed some of these comments and got something from them . I can attest to my newly acquired money trap 😆 . Im having fun and learning ( spending money in this thing like a drunken sailor ) and I don't regret not one penny I've spent.

The only thing giving me the blues is the darn generator . Other than that I've been successful in every task I've taken on so far . Two or three day after i got the coach the gen took a dump .

Ive put close to five hundred buck worth of parts to no avail . It runs as long as you hold the start button in .

I hope she atleast viewed some of these comments and got something from them . I can attest to my newly acquired money trap 😆 . Im having fun and learning ( spending money in this thing like a drunken sailor ) and I don't regret not one penny I've spent.

The only thing giving me the blues is the darn generator . Other than that I've been successful in every task I've taken on so far . Two or three day after i got the coach the gen took a dump .

Ive put close to five hundred buck worth of parts to no avail . It runs as long as you hold the start button in .
Check fuel pump pressure. Don't forget the genset will not run with less than 1/4 tank of fuel, some have reported their's quit at 1/3 tank gage level.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom