Help! Ac and heater not working

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joygoetz

Hello, I am at a loss of what happened to my air and heat! Last week both were working.  Now both are not working!  I have a 2016 Shasta Forest River travel trailer.

I have checked all the breakers , they were fine.  I checked all the fuses they were fine but I changed the ac fuse anyway .  I checked the battery it is fully charged.  I am also plugged into a 30 amp service . 

I decided to try changing the Tstat.  Still nothing no fan or anything.  I by passed the Tstat and tried to start the air and fan nothing! It looks like I have no power to my red wire!

Everything else works, light,frig,bump out, micro stove radio everything except heat and air? Is there anything else I could try?  Thank you

Joy

For the Air Conditioner, check the 110 Volt AC circuit breaker. It may have tripped. You'll have to shut it off then back on to reset it.
When you say heater do you mean a 110 Volt AC electric heater or the RV propane furnace?

The furnace doesn't use 120v and the a/c is mostly 120v (except the thermostat interface), so they have little in common except the thermostat(s).  Given that they both quit at the same time, it is almost surely something common to both.

Did you verify 12v to the thermostat (and what make/model of tstat is it?)?  How did you "bypass" it?  The furnace is the easiest to check for t-stat control - just put +12v on the wire from tstat to furnace and see if it begins to ignition sequence.

Replace the 12 volt fuse anyway I've seen them fail and show power on a digital meter and yet not pass current. Yes they're probably made in China because I've also heard of some fuses not popping when they should have.

Thank you for all your suggestions.  I have a honey well nonprogramable digital Tstat.  I by passed the Tstat by touching the red wire to the green fan wire did not work.  I put the red wire to the yellow for ac nothing! I put the red wire to the white for heat nothing. put the red and blue to a 12v bulb and nothing. I really feel like somehow I lost power to my red wire???

Any way to resolve this without bringing it in?  I don?t have a rig that can tow it at this tome?

Thank you!

Joy

Run a temporary power source from a light or something close by and see if it works. If it does, you may have to run a new wire. Yours may have been chewed by mice or whatever.

It does sound like loss of 12v power to the t-stat.  Easy enough to check with a voltmeter if you can identify a common (12v ground) wire. Often it is black or blue (and the red the +12v), but there are no real standards, especially in RVs.

The +12v power usually comes from either the furnace or the ac zone controller, but again that is just common practice rather than a rigid standard.

Joy, how did you end up fixing your problem with your heat/AC problem? My 2017 shasta is doing the same.

Joy, how did you end up fixing your problem with your heat/AC problem? My 2017 shasta is doing the same.
Don’t expect a response from the OP. They haven’t been back for over 4 years. This is why we ask that if anyone has a problem and we are able to help them to please reply as to whether we were able to help them and what actually was the ultimate fix

That’s not asking too much.
With you I would start a new post asking your question and give us as much detail as possible as to what is happening and what you’ve done to troubleshoot.

Oh and welcome to the forum.

Back
Top Bottom