Help! Can't turn on tv in jayco 2009 greyhawk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Classic

Hello, just bought this, no power to the outlet, every other outlet works fine. Also one hall light has no power. All other lights work.,AC works fridge works rear tv works, just the one light an power outlet , I have low voltage experience with cars but at a loss with this. Fuses fine, circuits fine.

Well the outlet could be on its own breaker. And I would assume the light is 12V. If it’s an overhead light with its own switch then it’s probably either the bulbs or the switch. I ran into some bad switches on mine while replacing the lamps with led’s.

Many (most) motorhomes have a relay that kills power to the TV when the engine is running so that it can't distract the driver (there is a federal law about this). If that relay has failed it might cause no power to the outlet, alternatively if that outlet is powered by an inverter as to allow you to watch TV while on battery power, and that inverter has failed, blown a fuse, tripped an intgetrated breakers, etc. that could also cause the outlet to not work.

So no power to outlet from inverters, shore power or generator, however did get the hallway light to work, switch in bathroom🙄 So I just need to figure out the tv outlet.

If the problem TV is located such that it could possibly be seen by the driver then it is required to have a interlock to the ignition that disables it. That device could easily be the problem. On the Greyhawk of a friend that device was mounted to the back of the electric box for the outlet that the TV was plugged into. If remove the cover for that outlet you should be able to see some evidence of it. I found the following information on another forum.
attachment.php

The relay is the big black thing that is on the back of the outlet glued on the left with the black white and red wires coming out from it. You have your power wire coming in from the top left with the white, black and copper ground coming out of it. Normally how this is wired is the yellow (might be different color) wire nut is connecting the black lead from the power in to one of the black leads from the relay, the other black relay is connected to the screw connection on the center of the outlet. Basically as wired from Jayco, the relay will open when the key is in the ignition causing a break in the black line like a light switch. What I did instead of cutting any wires was to disconnect the black leads that come from the relay to the incoming power black lead and put the wire nut on them and connect the black lead from the power line directly to the outlet where the black lead from the relay connected. This basically bypasses the "switch" function of the relay. The relay will still turn on/off with the key but will not affect the outlet at all.

This may be a stupid question, but have you tried plugging something other than the TV into the outlet to make sure the TV has not died?

Thanks for your reply Kirk, unfortunately I found where someone had already dc the relay in past, I have a cut white an purple capped wire next to outlet, nothing in the box with outlet itself. I had removed the outlet to check for power directly thinking it might have just been a bad outlet but just no power to wires. There must be a relay box fuse box somewhere else besides the one in back bedroom, I just have no idea where.

Often the TV is on a GFI circuit, so look around the RV and reset all of the GFI plugs, and those may be anywhere in the RV

Ed

Checked all gfi circuits, all work fine. Found the inverter an converter boxes, under box under mattress, unfortunately no other fuses or relays with them

Ok if no power to the TV
Go to Horrible Freight. Get a neat little toy
Harbor Freight Tools – Quality Tools at Discount Prices Since 1977 and while UNPLUGGED (You don't want to hit it with 120 volts) Hook it to the outlet's black wire, I don;t recall what I did with the "Ground" wire (Bare or white might work)

Then you can tweedle tweedle your way along the wire to any and all junction boxes.

In my case I was tracing the power lines to my slide out motor from a failed slide out controller.. Found it too I did. (Like so many things in the LAST place I'd care to look)

I've had mixed success with cable trackers.

When you find a junction box or outlet (you might just go to other outlets) check for power there unhook and plug in first of course)

NOTE... ON my Motorhone (And from the relay comments I assume you have one) There was an outlet on the passenger "Firewall" just above the floor... and I think 3 outlets in the overhead.. All in the same daisy chain. (TV and other on one other "General"(Other) on the other)

Good luck.
YOu might start by testing all Front of the rig outlets with a 3-light tester (Might find the TV outlet is not the only dark one.

Thanks, I went to every single outlet and tested, they all work, this is the only non functional outlet. I can always just tie into another one and run wire to have a working outlet, but I really want to know why this one isn't working.

Thanks, I went to every single outlet and tested, they all work, this is the only non functional outlet. I can always just tie into another one and run wire to have a working outlet, but I really want to know why this one isn't working.
It might just be a bad outlet. They don't last forever. I suggest you remove the outlet to check if it is connected or has a burned spot. Good luck. As always, turn off the electricity before removing.

thanks but thats one of the first things I checked was the outlet itself. I have had bad outlets in past at my house so that was the first thing I thought, I checked the white/black wires for power on the back of it.

I would want to know where that circuit is supposed to get power before I did any modification to it since disconnected wires can create problems of their own. Since the previous owner took out the driver relay, he probably made some other changes as well and he may not know anything about electricity. The link that John posted didn't work for me so I found it by visiting Harbor Freight and think that may well be worth the price. Amazon also has several low priced cable tracers that may work. I have used some of them but always the high price versions that came from work. If you can locate the other end of the wires it probably won't be too difficult to resolve as it looks like it probably is disconnected somewhere. In most RVs the 120V outlets are wired in a daisy chain pattern with the shortest wire routes possible and usually there is only 1 such circuit for 1 30a RV and 2 for a 50a RV. I would locate the circuit breaker for all outlets and open it before using the tracer.

I agree with you Kirk, I can cap the wires but "why" they aren't working would drive me nuts,. Im going to get me a wire tracker an just trace it back, probably to fridge or microwave those are the closest power

Back
Top Bottom