help Choosing awning size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roboclock3

I have to replace my fabric on my awning.
Problem is I and having trouble selecting and finding the right width.
My actual groove length on the roller is 14′ 4′ FROM INSIDE END CAP TO the other CAP. Basically a 15′ awning. I can find lots of pretty 14′ 2″ awnings or a 13′ 2″ awning. I am concerned that the 14′ 2′ will be to tight leaving only a space of 1″ on each end, and I think the 13′ 2″ will look funny as it will show so much bare roller. These each cost around $152. I can move up in cost to a 13?10? which would be great, but it its a solid color and very plain, costing $235.
I would love to get the 14′ 2″, but will I be asking for trouble if I only have an inch to spare at each end?
Rob

Welcome to the Forum!

I agree with UT.  Go with the width go your old awning.  Find a supplier with a fabric and size you want.  Local tent and awning companies can do almost anything.

Doesn't seem so easy to find custom widths. They get very expensive, about twice the cost of a standard size.
My first question is, can I fit a 14'2" fabric on a 14'4" roller.

Roboclock3 said:
My first question is, can I fit a 14'2" fabric on a 14'4" roller.

It may fit but that's definitely tighter than normal, which is closer to two inches clearance on each end. With only an inch you won't be able to use a "deflapper" if that matters to you

current fabric was 13? 10? gave me about 3? clearance on each side. i?d like to use the 14?2? but am concerned about only 1? clearance each side

Roboclock3 said:
current fabric was 13? 10? gave me about 3? clearance on each side. i?d like to use the 14?2? but am concerned about only 1? clearance each side

I  don't see where it would be a problem. During installation, just center it on the roll then you'll need to slide the awning in the rail to the left or right to make the awning track evenly.  Don't forget to reinstall the screw in the top rail so that the fabric doesn't slide at all. 

The only reason I can see for any gap is to accommodate misalignment between the two rollers. The wider the gaps, the more missalignment can be accommodated without running off the end of a roller. I'd be very careful about using a wider awning than the original.

Ernie

Carefree of Colorado says 5 inches from the centerline of the awning arms.
https://www.e-carefree.com/ecarefree30/cfg?pid=34&action=cfg
Which mean to measure centerline to centerline of the arms and deduct 10 inches.

Ernie n Tara said:
The only reason I can see for any gap is to accommodate misalignment between the two rollers. The wider the gaps, the more missalignment can be accommodated without running off the end of a roller. I'd be very careful about using a wider awning than the original.

Ernie

Ernie, what do you mean by the 2 rollers? Are you talking about the main roll and the awning rail?

I finally found a company that will custom cut the awning for $25 more, so for around $200 I am getting the exact width I wanted, 14'.  [email protected],
Thanks for all the input
Rob

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom