HELP---Diesel Pusher Engine Opinion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rockypablo

HELP-What pre-2008 Diesel Pusher Engines do people recommend? Or more importantly WHICH ENGINES TO AVOID.  I am looking for a reliable engine for an older DP.  Thanks in advance.  RockyPablo

The best of the pre DEF engines, in my opinion is a Detroit Series 60. These can be found in the high end  Monaco, Holiday Rambler, Newell and Prevost coaches. I've had vehicles with CAT and Cummins and now have one with the Detroit. The Detroit has been the best running of them. Not a single problem in 124,000 miles and going strong.

They are all pretty reliable, be more concerned about how a 10+year old coach has been maintained. Any diesel should last 500,000 miles if properly looked after.

Agree with Roy - the reliability of the engine is probably one of the least of concerns when buying an older DP.  The Allison 3000 & 4000 trannies are also pretty much bulletproof.  If given even halfway decent care, the drivetrain should provide many, many years/miles of service.

I agree with a couple of the other posts here. In a 10-year old coach, the diesel engine will be the least of your worries.

Your real concerns should be how well the house has been maintained. There are a LOT more things to fail in the house than in the engine.

Chet18013 said:
The best of the pre DEF engines, in my opinion is a Detroit Series 60. These can be found in the high end  Monaco, Holiday Rambler, Newell and Prevost coaches. I've had vehicles with CAT and Cummins and now have one with the Detroit. The Detroit has been the best running of them. Not a single problem in 124,000 miles and going strong.

What specifically did you like about the Detroit compared to the Cummins engines you've owned?  Which displacements are you comparing? Did it run quieter, smoother, was it more efficient, did it have better torque rise, etc.? I'm interested to know your experience and opinions as the type of coaches I am looking at (also pre 2008s) offer 11l ISMs, 12.7 Detroit 60s, or the 15l ISX.  I'm incredibly comfortable with Cummins engines through years of use/abuse in other applications, and only know a few guys who worked for Detroit when the 12.7 was being developed.  They tend to say they're "OK" (which means pretty good because they are aware of failures a regular person will NEVER see).  Thanks!

The advantage of Cummins vs Detroit is perhaps logistics more than capability.  More service centers, and more independent shops familiar with them, parts (including accessories like filters) more readily available, etc.

We had the pre smog Cummins 400 hp in our 40' 2005 Holiday Rambler and i just loved it. Lots of power for towing, fuel mileage was decent for the size, started well in cold weather, never really had any problems with it, and lots of service centers for Cummins around as Gary mentioned. I can recommend it.

Bill

When buying a used DP, what engine is in it should be the LEAST of your concerns. Cummins, CAT and Detroit all make a solid, reliable product.

Of much more importance is the floor plan, the maintenance history and the condition of the house.

the only people I've ever met that have anything bad to say about a Cummins, ....were all Cat owners.    :D

My good friend is a Cat mechanic. He always jokes that Detroits turn diesel fuel into noise. lol Meanwhile, my uncle has one in one of his old bush log trucks from the 70s, and its still going strong. It is pretty loud though.

For a pre 07 most of the Big 3 engines are OK. Cummins had some problems with earlier ISL. Stay away from ISX. Problems with the EGR system and camshafts. As others have stated the series 60 Detroit is an awesome engine. In most cases the buyer never had a choice. You will find lots of Winnies with Cats. Before 05 many mfrs. used Cummins. Cat was popular from 05 to 07. Then they went out of the RV engine business.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sinbad
Back
Top Bottom