Help! Dometic Refrigerator Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dverstra

I was getting ready for our trip that starts Friday. I turned the fridge on and all it will do is get hot not cold. The fins in the fridge get warm and the shelf  gets hot in the freezer. I'm guessing the refrigerant has leaked out since it was last used. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Tom
Interesting idea. It makes a gurgling sound if I listen to the outside vent. Is there a method to reset this fridge. I'll have to look at the operating instruction book, although that is probably useless like most.

I'm not sure how to proceed, but maybe someone else can help. The warm fins gave me the idea it might be in defrost mode.

When you say you hear a gurgling sound that could mean the cooling unit is bad.  The following link will provide some diagnostic tips.
http://www.gasrefrigeration.net/faultdiagnosis.htm

Hope this will help determine the problem.

Tom
I read the installation instructions. The control for the fridge is on a 12volt lead. I disconnected this lead and the 120volt plug. I hope this resets the fridge. I powered it back up and my fingers are crossed.

Ron
Thanks for the reply. I see where a gurgling sound isn't a good thing. I'll have it in to a dometic repair dealer on Monday. The dealer that I bought it from 7 years ago is a dometic repair facility. I trust the service manager there. I hope that I don't have to replace the cooling unit. I'm going to let it run for a while yet with fingers crossed.
Thanks again

Probably a good idea to take it to someone you know.  Hope it isn't something as serious as a defective cooling unit.  Let us know what you find out.

Hi Dverstra,

If you are at all competent with electronics you can bypass the control board. Take the AC power leads that come from the heater element and connect them directly to the outlet. If the refer starts to cool then the cooling unit is good and your problem may be in the control board. If it does not cool then the cooling unit probably will need to be replaced. If there is any ammonia smell present the cooling unit is toast.

Keep in mind that leaving the unit on direct AC could freeze everything in the refer. 

Thanks to all for the advice and ideas.  Well, the cooling unit was the culprit. Since the fridge is 12 years old, I opted to replace the whole fridge. I guess I'm good until 2017??
Thanks again

Thanks for the update.  Sorry to hear it was the cooling unit.  I suspected that might be.  Good choice of getting a new fridge. I haven't seen too many replacement cooling units last all that long.

Hi Ron,

Not sure why but it seems that most rebuilt cooling units only last about two years. That's why I went for a new unit when ours failed. Sure helps when you have an in with a dealership!!!!

Two years is about the maximum years I have heard that rebuilt cooling units last.  You were fortunate you had those connections.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom