Help! Fridge and pop out lights aren’t working!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mammabear9

Fridge won’t wk electrically or with propane and pop out lights aren’t wking but outlets do. DC fuses dead and when we tried to change them the new ones got fried. The DC fuse light for the furnace and accessories are glowing red. We are living in our 2012 Coleman Dutchman travel trailer. Any idea what the problem could be? We really don’t want to call a repairman!

If all of the fuses are open then you definitely need someone who knows 12V electricity. The refrigerator needs a 12V supply to work in any mode so that is not a problem of the refrigerator but of the 12V supply. To do anything you first need to have a volt/ohm meter and be familiar with it's use. I suggest you get an RV tech as soon as possible.

We have the meter and are studying on its use.
Are all of the fuse indicator lights lit? If it is only the furnace fuse them probably the refrigerator is on the same circuit. If all of the fuse indicators are lighted, that would mean that all fuses are blown. Do your ceiling light work? Does the water heater work? Does the water pump work?

Are you parked at home and staying in the house? That will gain you some time to figure things out.

The only things not working are the slide out lights and the fridge. The only indicator lights that are on are the furnace and accessories.

One more thought. If time is not of critical importance you could probably gain a lot by reading the article from Mark Nemeth, "The 12V Side of Life" parts 1 & 2.

Make sure that the slide works as well. It sounds to me like there is a problem with the wire harness where it flexes when the slide moves in and out. Is the refrigerator in the slide?

I still think that you should check the wire harness to the slide first. Any short in the same circuit will blow the related fuse and with 2 fuses that harness probably has more than 1 circuit with 12V passing into it.

Furnace often has it's own Fuse or breaker. not on the main fuse block
Sounds like you have SERIOUS issue with your 12 volt side of life.... If you are "Studying" how to use a meter I would recommend professional assistance.. Or at the very lest an experienced amateur.

Now a story (I might add I'm a certified electronics tech.. but that really does not apply here)
Friend came to fetch me because his new neighbor.. half the outlets in the RV not working.
As we walked across the road to his rig I ask about an inverter.. he did not know (Pay attention at the Delivery run through folks) Well first bay he opened was battery. 2nd was the inverter.. a Real nice Tripp-Lite The two circuit breakers were kind of like this \ / Well / / would be correct.
(One of them was Tripped) I reset and ask him to see if all was good.
He climbed in and his wife ask "Does he think he can help"
The husband answered "He already fixed it" and so I had.

I really wish they were all that easy.. But alas not many are.

Ok we checked all the lines, read the articles and learned a ton. This may sound weird and I promise we are not nut-jobs, but we prayed and tried replacing the fuses again and everything turned back on without incident! Thank you for your help! It’s been a rough couple days. We are definitely a lot wiser; truly appreciate this site!

Back
Top Bottom