Help - Is this a good deal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mysto

We had pretty much given up on class a and were looking at trailers but I was just reading my new rv trader and found a 2003 coachmen (listed as mirada pathfinder but picture appears to be a mirada) 30' (31'?) with Ford V10 - 24K miles listed as non-smoker and extra clean interior (aren't they all)  they are asking $25,900.  This appears to be a great deal to me and I am considering driving the couple of hours to take a look - it is at a dealer.
This is a little more than I was going to spend but...

I'm very new to this - does it look worth pursuing - are these quality MHs?

All comments welcome and needed.   Thanks.

NADA Jan - April 2007 list 2003 Coachman Mirada 31ft (M300) Wholesale Trade-in $26,660 Used Retail $35,340.  Pathfinder  has 4 models 29 to 31 ft at about the same pricing.
Joe Bee

Mysto - I hope you don't give up. I went just the opposite direction. I was looking hard to buy a trailer when suddenly a MH just made lots more sense to me. Took me months of looking but I finally found a used rig that we have really enjoyed so far ...

Most of the Coachman line is for light duty use - weekends and vacations. They aren't in the same quality league as higher priced brands, but can give you good value for the money if your usage is light.  If it seems like a fit to your needs, go take a look. The price does not seem out of line and you can (and should) make a lower offer and/or ask for them to throw in an extended warranty and other goodies.

Thanks for feedback guys. 
Saw it last night.  Called this morning and it sold last night.
At least I can pick 'em.

One thing on Coachmen, watch real close for delamination.  I had a slide-in by Coachmen, had slight delam, but  have seeen way too many out therre with big problems.  Just be careful.

curious - have seen many posts with good brand/ bad brand.  What are some of the better brand mh?  I will ask that we eliminate the premium (new at 300k etc.)  I can't afford even a - used - bluebird.

What brands should I be watching for or looking at?  If I get a used class a it's going to have to be under 30k (less if I have to buy tires etc.) and dependable.

I strive to learn.  Thanks.

BTW chaajoad - what did you wind up with?

I'd look for the higher end brands, even if I had to take one a few years older. There are a lot of bargains around in Class A's without slides - or even single slides.  But you don't have to go for a Monoco, Newmar, Holiday Rambler or whatever. The top end gas rigs from Fleetwood (Pace Arrow and Southwind), National (Dolphin), Winnebago/Itasca (Adventurer) are all fine choices. Coachman, Dutchman, and the Thor brands would be at the bottom of my list.

Thanks Gary - very helpful information.  I was able to go see the Coachmen today and I could tell it was an entry class as soon as we steped inside (not bad but definately entry)  - I was not disappointed it was sold.

OTOH - Looked at a 1999 Gulfstream Palm Breeze with a slide that I was very impressed with - (has 13K miles and they want 30K for it and it is VERY clean - I have been in new demos that looked worse)  however medical news this afternoon may delay any purchase for a year or so.  (At least it gives me time to look)

I have seen some info on the board on buying older MH but I suspect that many of us could use more. There are a lot of 5-15 year old MH that are looking for a good home - so any one with words of wisdom feel free to chime in.  ::)

Gulfstream  units are also basicly entry models  And service is notorcious.  2 dealer friends of mine have both dropped the line because of company policies.  With that in mind I'd have to classify them and to each his or her own and buyer beware.  JMHO

Tiffin is a surpremely fine unit with excellent warranty and service.  One of the top 3 or 4 in my estimation without going into the half milllion dollar units.  JMHO

Mysto,

We bought a used Tiffin Allegro Bay (Class C) from a private seller a few months ago.  We LOVE it.  The quality is superb.

We took advantage of the forum's checklist on buying a used rv, printed it out and made sure to check out every item on the list.
(At the top of this page, in the blue clickable bars you will see Library.  Click on it, and follow the link to the Buying a Used Rv Checklist).

We decided to buy Used to take advantage of the price depreciation drop as well as knowing the previous owner would have worked any bugs out already.  We think we got an outstanding deal.

When we are ready for a Class A, it will definitely be a Tiffin.

Mysto - We ended up buying a '99 Bounder 34J. As is often pointed out here (and it almost gives me an inferiority complex - ALMOST  :) it's an entry level rig but for our little family of 3 and not being independently wealthy AND planning on using it sparingly, it's worked out fine so far. I guess the real test will be the Spring/Summer of '07, the first full "good weather" stretch. I'm concerned about the "money pit" aspect of an RV - nothing concerning these things is as simple as a $19.95 special at Jiffy Lube - but we'll take it one thing at a time.

And that brings up a point -

I wish there were places LIKE Speedy Lube where RV's could get oil/filter/lube changes, maybe basic maintenance. I hesitate to make an appt at our local full-service dealer. Their rep is spotty and I can just see the service guy coming tome, shaking his head, with $3,000 worth of things needing to be done.

Keep us up to speed on what you end up with. And have a safe & happy New Year!

Danny
Poulsbo WA

Perhaps we sound condescending when we talk about entry level or vacation class rigs, but when you ask about quality the issue cannot be avoided. There is a difference in both construction and materials, as well as the more obvious differences in amenities.

As for service, shop around the truck & chassis servicers. Some of them have begun to solicit the motorhome market and may service makes other than their own franchised brand.  For example, Cummins Southeast locations here in Florida will do drivetrain service for the Workhorse chassis in addition to Cummins diesels and most have RV sites available at the shop. They also handle Onan generators, regardless of RV make.  You might also look in the Yellow pages under both RV and auto/truck service. More and more shops are mentioning RV services in their ads.

RV Roamer said:
More and more shops are mentioning RV services in their ads.

They need to be... it seems (from my everyday non-scientific observations) that the RV population is bigger than ever.  By that I mean I see RV's (used AND new) *everywhere* when I'm on the road.  During an hour drive (mostly interstate) last week, the stats came to about 1 in every 10 vehicles on the road being a motorhome/5er/TT.  And it's winter in Illinois for Pete's sake, when most RV's are supposed to be parked!  :eek: :)

Maybe if we're lucky, within a few years there will be a neighborhood "RV Jiffy Lube" with those $19.95 specials.  ;)

You folks expecially with older units  Make sure you keep that tranny fuild is always fresh.  Any brunt  or dicolored fluid is just asking for trouble.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom