Help me sleep

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rich_in_Tampa

We've been out over 10 nights or so in our Great West Legend (Sprinter) with the rear sofa bed.

I have not yet gotten a good night's sleep, though some were better than others -- normally I am a power sleeper and rarely have problems. The problem seems to be that even though it's close to a standard queen, that is wall-to-wall, so arms hit walls and legs hit sides of cabinets - no clear space around the reclined mattress.

We love the vehicle in every other way, but ya gotta get some sleep or using it won't be very enjoyable.

So is this something we'll get used to? Admittedly the most consecutive nights we've been out is 3 -- do we need to just gut it out for a week so our bodies and minds adjust once and for all? Any input or shared experiences would be helpful.

Hard to say, Rich. You may be a restless sleeper and move your arms and legs more than others, in which case maybe you won't adapt very well. But generally, people do adapt to anything they are exposed to long term.  If you use the RV only for short trips , you might experience the adaption period each time, though it probably gets shorter.

Now you know one good reason why island beds are popular - and the larger RVs that are needed to provide them. RVs are full of compromises and the smaller the RV, the more noticeable they are.

Would you be more restful and less likely to move if your bed was more comfy?  We put a new memory foam mattress on ours and I wiggled all night.  I finally had to get up and sleep on the sofa.  The bed was too hard.  For the next trip I added an egg crate and a featherbed.  Now it's more comfy than the bed in our home and I don't feel the need to move so much.  Maybe a foam mattress topper would make it better.

Rich_in_Tampa said:
We've been out over 10 nights or so in our Great West Legend (Sprinter) with the rear sofa bed.

I have not yet gotten a good night's sleep, though some were better than others -- normally I am a power sleeper and rarely have problems. The problem seems to be that even though it's close to a standard queen, that is wall-to-wall, so arms hit walls and legs hit sides of cabinets - no clear space around the reclined mattress.

We love the vehicle in every other way, but ya gotta get some sleep or using it won't be very enjoyable.

So is this something we'll get used to? Admittedly the most consecutive nights we've been out is 3 -- do we need to just gut it out for a week so our bodies and minds adjust once and for all? Any input or shared experiences would be helpful.

You've hit upon the exact reason that we sold our Great West van.  I couldn't get a good night's sleep, plus I wanted a stand-up shower.  We now have a Class A Fleetwood Fiesta LX 34N, and we're much happier with the room that we have.  It's 35 feet long, has two slides, a very roomy bedroom, a stand-up shower, and a BATHTUB, which my wife loves.  She even fulfilled a dream of hers by taking a bath while I was driving down the highway!

irvsiegel said:
You've hit upon the exact reason that we sold our Great West van.  I couldn't get a good night's sleep, plus I wanted a stand-up shower. 
Well, that's affirming. Since I don't have reasonable storage options for a bigger rig at this point, I guess well just have to try a multinight trip in the hopes that we adjust.

We use the waffle pad from WalllyWorld and so happy with it  we put one on our home bed.

I just put in an inch thick memory foam, which allows me to electrically go from sofa to bed and back without having to remove it.  This weekend will tell the tale.  I was OK with the uppolstry that's in the PW Excel, but the ridges kept getting in the wrong places, and i think the memory foam will help that.
If not, will consider using a sleeping bag as a topper.
Scotty

We replaced foam mattress with an air mattress (Aero) and it is great.  You can get same firmness as your home mattress and they are relatively inexpensive. We have the multiple air chamber kind and our son visited last week sleeping on the sofa with an Aero air mattress sleeping bag. 

Check these out and you will be pleasantly surprised.

Rich_in_Tampa said:

Rich, seems like every time I actually do fall asleep I'm quickly awakened by either Landscapers, Street Cleaners, or Power Washing Guys.

DW & I frequent many Crackerbarrel parking lots, Walmarts and the like for a one nighter.

DW is a great sleeper but I on the other hand have Insomnia.

Turn on the air conditioner, FAN ONLY mode if you can,  Else you can pick up a "Sleep maching" these are noise generators, many of them have selections of noise.  The noise these devices make masks external noises that enter your rig and  may help you sleep

An FM radio tuned "off station" (White noise) may do the trick too  In fact as a trial it is the least expensive option.

Rich,

It seems like every time we've gotten a new RV, there's a certain amount of time it takes to get used to the new sleeping layout.  Many motorhomes have rear bedrooms with cupboards on each side of the bed.  Even though placement has been nearly the same in each, an inch makes a difference in terms of hitting the side with arms or even head.  I'm now so used to our current one that I seldom hit anything in the night.  When we had Class Cs with the bed over the driver compartment, we had to learn not to sit bolt upright in the middle of the night, but instead ease into a sideways position to get out of bed.  Hopefully, time will help you.  The other suggestions are good too - mattress hardness or softness is very important.  Where you are is important as one person implied.  We had a friend who moved from New York City to Atherton, CA which is a quiet residential area on the San Francisco Peninsula.  He was miserable for the first few months because it was so quiet he could hear the squirrels on the roof and it was driving him nuts.  He had a terrible time sleeping because it was too quiet.  I think he adjusted eventually but I've always wondered what he felt like when he moved back to noisy NYC.  ???

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
We had a friend who moved from New York City to Atherton, CA which is a quiet residential area on the San Francisco Peninsula.  He was miserable for the first few months because it was so quiet he could hear the squirrels on the roof and it was driving him nuts.  He had a terrible time sleeping because it was too quiet.  I think he adjusted eventually but I've always wondered what he felt like when he moved back to noisy NYC.  ???

ArdraF

I know exactly what you're talking about. When I was in high school I always spent my summers on a relative's farm. When I would come home I would complain that I couldn't sleep because of the traffic noise. After I graduated I went into the Navy and when I came home I would complain that I couldn't sleep because it was so quite. SAME HOUSE, nothing had changed. It's all in what you're use to. The human body will adapt to almost anything.

Rich:

We travel with two 25lb dogs - that only sleep on the bed.  R/T190 rear bed.  Not condusive to good sleep.

I built a frame out of 1 1/2" sched 40 PVC, upon which I place a twin bed sized air mattress and sleeping bag.  The frame rests and fits over our #3 & #4 seats (side to side) - I just fit and now we all get a good night's sleep.  (it sets-up quickly and breaks-down just as quickly - then stows in the outside storage area for travel)

Not too familiar with your Van but I'd imagine that with a little imagination on your part you might be able to come up with something.....bill

We also have a 'B' size RV and have queen size bed at home.  It normally takes the two of use 2-3 nights to get really comfortable sleeping when on the road.  I think half of it is the size difference (ie: close walls) and half is just the different bed.  We do take our pillows from home (we are also part timers) and that does help sleeping on the road.

Never trouble sleeping,  Once I lay down I go to sleep.  Get my 5 to 7 hrs and I'm ready to go  Always thought that if you can;'t sleep you haven't played hard enough.,  JMO

Shayne said:
Never trouble sleeping,  Once I lay down I go to sleep.  Get my 5 to 7 hrs and I'm ready to go  Always thought that if you can;'t sleep you haven't played hard enough.,  JMO

Sounds logical.  Guess I've been playing hard enough since I have no problem sleeping.

If you aren't sleeping well you didn't drink enough.

Sorry I couldn't resist. :p

Have you tried placing pillows against the walls - might not have such a rude awakening when tossing/turning.  Others have suggested Memory Foam toppers and/or egg crate toppers - both will help.

Best wishes.

Derek,

It's foam that's contoured the shape of egg cartons over here. It's been so many years since I bought eggs in the UK, I'm not sure how they package them there. But here's a photo of egg crate foam. Some folks swear by them, while others (like me) hate them.

Think of it as a gentler/softer form of a bed of nails.

Back
Top Bottom