Help me spend some money!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mdfuller

I am getting ready to place an order for some RV supplies.  Please keep in mind I have never owned an RV and I have no clue.  After some research here is what I am buying or thinking about buying:

Rhinoflex sewer hose, a Flush King, freshwater hose, freshwater 90 degree elbow, freshwater regulator and gauge, and some leveling blocks

I am also looking to buy chemicals for the black tank and the freshwater system, but I do not have a clue what to get.  I also want to buy something to wash the exterior of the RV and also to wax it, but I have no clue what I need or what kind of finish the RV actually has (2000 Fleetwood Tioga 23B). 

I had the dealer change the oil, tranny fluid, and rear differential fluid so I am thinking after purchasing the above supplies I should (almost) be ready to use this thing finally!

Thanks for all the help and advice/opinions!

Your choice of hoses it fine. Whether you needd a 90 degree elbow, 45 degree elbow or any elbow at all depends on how your  tank drain is located. Only you can decide, based on ease of hooking up the hose.  Some people are fascincated just to look at the crap come out and put in a clear elbow of straight extension just for the view. Whatever rows your boat.  ;D

Chemicals: You probably don't need any, but if you feel you want to have something on hand, any of the non-formaldehyde deodorants will be fine.  Many full timers and snow birds don't use any chemicals, but they use their tanks continuously and so they are always getting emptied out. If you store the rig with stuff in the black tank, especialy in hot weaher, then mabe a bit of tank chemical is appropriate. But try it without any first. Use plenty of water when you flush the commode - more water in proportion to the waste is beneficial to the tank.

Cleaning and waxing: Protect-All is very popular, as is Dri Wash N Guard.  Protect-all is I think a bit less effort and lower in price, while Dri-wash is a superior cleaner if you have bugs, road tar, etc. to remove. Protect-all is also excellent for countertops, stainless steal surfaces, plastic and composites (even the commode!). I carry both and use as appropriate for the cleaning & polishing chore.  I use Turtle wax car wash to wash the rig, on the odd occasion when I actually do that. It doesn't seem to need much, if any, rinsing and leaves no spots.

Thanks.  I will try no chemicals and see how it goes!  I will also purchase some Protect-All and some Dri Wash N Guard.  Any comments on the Flush King?

mdfuller said:
Rhinoflex sewer hose, a Flush King, freshwater hose, freshwater 90 degree elbow, freshwater regulator and gauge, and some leveling blocks

You didn't say where you were ordering these things from, I'll assume from Camping World. If you're close to a WalMart they also have a RV section. They won't have the Rhino hose or the flush king but should have the water hose and elbow. Forget the regulator and gauge. Your MH already has a regulator in the water system. If you need an external regulator get one at a hardware store like Ace or Home Depot. The ones sold by Camping World don't have enough flow.

I am also looking to buy chemicals for the black tank and the freshwater system ....

Forget the black tank chemicals. We and most others here on the forum don't use any chemicals. The need for chemicals is a myth started by the sellers of chemicals. For the fresh water look in the forum library and search for "sanitizing" for compleat instructions. All you need is ordinary bleach.

I also want to buy something to wash the exterior of the RV and also to wax it, but I have no clue what I need or what kind of finish the RV actually has (2000 Fleetwood Tioga 23B).

I'll let someone else tackle the washing and waxing. I use the Mr. Clean AutoDry Car Wash System.

Thanks again.  I will get the hose/elbow at Wally World then.  Is CW a sponsor of this board?  I will order the sewer hose and Flush King from them unless there is a site sponsor and CW is not one of them. 

Really good to know about the internal regulator. 

To that list, I would add:

1.? 25 feet of cheap colored garden hose for use with black and grey water tasks.
2.? One or two two gallon plastic buckets for holding your sewerage fittings and stuff.
3.? A pair of black neoprene gauntlets, the kind chemical workers use, for fussing with the sewerage tasks.
4.? A gallon of plain Chlorox bleach for sanitation including cleaning up accidents.? ?Useful with laundry too.? Keep an empty around.? They are handy for sanitizing chemicals.
5.? A pair of curved jawed Channel Lock pliers for tightening and untightening water hose fittings.
6.? ?A cheap multimeter and a AC plug in circuit tester.
7.? ?A cheap plug in voltmeter if one is not already installed in the RV.? ?Use it to monitor voltage drops which could 86 your airconditioner.
8.? ?A spray wand for rinsing the black tank and dislodging crud from sensors.

Tank chemistry?? Get a box of the dry non-formaldehyde deodorant.? Use only when desperately needed.

Make sure your TP is approved for septic tank use.? ?Scotts for one is.? ?As a number of us have found, Thetford is not.

Plastic leveling blocks?  Over the years we have found that 20 adequately handle a dual axle trailer. 

Pack a sense of humor and remember even horror stories have a bright lining -- they make good war stories later on. ;D

Methinks this is an opportunity for a library article.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Asteg1000
Back
Top Bottom