Help needed.. 98 adventurer removing dog house

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh, Cool. Guess he had to peek under there?

We have Class C, and no dog house! or dogs anymore either.

The doghouse cover is how you access the top of the engine from a Class A motorhome (from the interior, in between the driver and passenger seats)... since the bus style has a flat front and there is no exterior "hood" to open otherwise. Just a swing-down panel to access a few parts of the engine front.

Coil, spark plugs & wires, valve covers, throttle body, etc. are all reachable under the doghouse cover. It sounds like the OP figured his out, but there are usually just 2-3 clamps that can be unlatched and allow the cover to be lifted straight up/off.

Update: I broke down on I 95 in Brunswick at night. Lost engine power…… I was desperate to find a quick answer on how the doghouse engine cover was removed… I knew were the latch hole in the carpet was, but could not determine what I needed to use to turn the latch. A mobile mechanic was also having trouble figuring it out. Now I know, It is a 5/16 Allen wrench. Getting that figured out was the good news…. BUT
At 10 pm the mechanic checked the fuel line and ended up replacing the gas filter. He thought that there was water in the gas. It had been running just fine on the same tank of gas for 5 hours that day, about half of a 75 gal tank…. so I was surprised that water in gas could cause a sudden problem. After changing filter it started… but had very little power…. Could not drI’ve it. At the mechanics suggestion the following morning (after spending night in motel) I put several containers of “Heet” in the tank, I was able to limp run it to a gas station and filled up with high test….and then let it idle for several hours trying to get it to run the water and “bad” gas out. This did not help… I still has no power. Idles but sputters and looses power when pushing on gas pedal.
This is July 4 weekend….. not a good time to get service.
My current situation…. We ended up leaving Motorhome at TA truck stop in Brunswick …its not running. Drove our toad… back to Virgina… (A smart fortwo) with me, my wife, poodle and our clothes… (it was very crowded!) The mobile mechanic is suppose to come back and look at next week.. but I don‘t have much faith in his service. The truck stop will not look at gas motorhomes… I have made several calls… but with the holiday weekend no luck on finding someone.

Mobile mechanics recommend by local RV park (Coastal Georgia RV) do not work on the chassis…. Truck Shops don’t want to work on Gas RV.

I need help….
Anyone know someone in the Brunswick area to service a GM p30 gas 454 ?

Bjw..., what chassis is your coach on? Try to find a dealer that services gas powered trucks. I know a couple of Ford dealers in Fayetteville NC, but that doesn't help you in Georgia. Do you have Coach-Net roadside service. If you do, they can find someone for you and arrange to tow your coach to them.

Search for other shops in the area (Google I suppose) that service large trucks... think of all the gas box trucks that are delivery vehicles for furniture and appliance stores, movers, Uhauls, etc. The 454 chassis is well known and there's got to be someone in the area.

I used to have a Firestone service center work on mine. They did other work on commercial vehicles like the ones I referenced above. The local GM/Chevy dealer may be able to help with a recommendation too.

Call the local GM dealer. If they will not service their engine (usually a vehicle size issue) they should be able to direct you to someone that will. If they do not have that info, call another dealer and do not be afraid to drive to the dealer so you have a better chance of getting to the right person.

Another method (one that I used for my workhorse 454) is too find out who services the city vehicles. Call them and if they will not service the vehicle, ask them who will.

Be clear that it is an engine problem and start the conversation by offering the engine size, year and the workhorse chassis. Many times places will not want to deal with a motorhome because of the complexity even though it is a common engine diagnosis and repair.

GM should direct you. They made the engine. Some GM facilities may not have a big enough service area for the motorhome but some do.

Another option is to find a mechanic at the dealer who is familiar with your engine and see if he/she can make a side deal with you.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom