Help reattaching ladder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nicka

A friend of mine has an old clas a motor home ( 70 era) but the brace on ladder about 3 feet up from bumper that screws into back wall let go and he repaired using jb weld and it lasted a year. But it recently let go again and ladder bowed out pulling matching brace opposite side of ladder out by screws Is there a clamp on replacement that is more heavy duty or does he need new one or is he better off to get a heavy duty telescopic ladder ( he’s well over 250 lbs) any advice I can pass on appreciated

A friend of mine has an old clas a motor home ( 70 era) but the brace on ladder about 3 feet up from bumper that screws into back wall let go and he repaired using jb weld and it lasted a year. But it recently let go again and ladder bowed out pulling matching brace opposite side of ladder out by screws Is there a clamp on replacement that is more heavy duty or does he need new one or is he better off to get a heavy duty telescopic ladder ( he’s well over 250 lbs) any advice I can pass on appreciated

I went with a telescoping ladder (300 pounds) I pulled the original off using one hand. They are crap.

No offense but anyone who'd climb a ladder with a structural support repaired with JB Weld shouldn't be repairing ladders ever.
Meantime if the braces can be moved and resecured that might be one option.
If you go the telescoping ladder route, just keep in mind the ladder needs to extend up ~24" past the edge of the roof.

does he need new one or is he better off to get a heavy duty telescopic ladder ( he’s well over 250 lbs)
Most are rated for 250 to 300 pounds, but your safest bet is to check with your RV's manufacturer. But that rating was for a newly installed ladder.
He is better off to get a heavy-duty telescopic ladder, or maybe just stay off of the roof of his 45+ year old RV.

Hard to say, but if he can drill all the way through and use long screws, washers and nuts, it might not pull out. Just depends on the mount, and what's on the other side.

New RV's come without a ladder I'm told. That alone should send a clear message.
I bought a 13' Cosco multi-position ladder. It can be unfolded to make a 13' straight ladder for accessing the roof or folded in the middle to make a 6' step ladder for washing the windshield.
If I could have a do-over I'd buy the 17' model, but then storage becomes a problem for me.

I heard that many RV'rs have removed their ladders or installed devices to prevent people climbing them because they are considered an "attractive hazard" to kids.
A number have been sued when someone's unsupervised kid, climbed up on and got injured falling off.. :oops:

Safe travels and all the best.

Ours didn't come with a ladder. Will a 8-12" pressure treated 2x4 positioned vertically on the inside of the wall work? Use stainless steel bolts with wide washers through both the wall and wood. Naturally place the washers on the wood side

One problem with the ladders is when you are climbing them, you are also pulling out on the ladder to lift your body. Think about it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
afshan
Back
Top Bottom