Help! Rust Inhibitor on Slide Out Seals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BJD

My husband sprayed the Slide Out Dry Lube Rust Inhibitor on slideout seals versus metal apparatus. Will it destroy the seals? Should we try to wash off with water or buy something else to apply to keep seals from drying from these chemicals?

SpencerPJ

I seriously doubt it will harm the rubber seals, I'd simply wipe off the stuff with a rag.

Rene T

Site Team
If it was me, I would wash it off with soap and water. No way of knowing what will happen long term. The fluid may have entered the pores of the rubber and will react as time goes on. Use lots of water and soap . Then apply a seal lubricator.

BJD

Thank you for both of your replies. I called the manufacturer this morning that makes both the rust inhibitor (metal apparatus) and the seal conditioner (seals) sprays. They advised to use mineral spirits (very lightly) to remove the inhibitor and then condition with their seal spray. It seems using something like this paint thinner type of product on seals is just another harsh chemical to dry out seals. I could see perhaps to remove from metal. Do you think this is route we should take?

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
That's the safest route. Probably overkill, but the only way to get the rust inhibitor chemical off the rubber. Mineral spirits is a solvent, to be sure, but isn't particularly harsh. Just moisten a cloth with it and wipe down the affected areas.

Frankly, I think that SpencerPJ has the most practical solution - just wipe the stuff off. The Dry Lube product isn't a rust dissolver or anything caustic like that - it's just a waxy film that displaces moisture and thus inhibits new rust formation.  I suspect the ProtectAll rep you spoke with was just playing it safe by telling you how to remove it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Heprynn
Top Bottom