Help RV broke down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Between this, and the house battery exercise this is quite the RV initiation. It's annoying enough when you're familiar with the systems and making repairs, but likely downright frightening and demoralizing to be crapped out on the side of the road with no idea what to do. Even something simple can take time and effort to discover. Not exactly the kind of memories one hopes to make with an RV.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Not exactly the kind of memories one hopes to make with an RV.
IMO, there are two types of RV'ers.

1. Those that have broken down on the side of the road.

2. Those who will.

But like I read once in a motorcycle magazine WRT break-downs. While it could be frustrating at first, they often make great interesting stories later.

-Don- Reno, NV

A 1990 Ford is not going to have a ton of electronics. I hope it's something simple like an ignition coil or something.

Sympathies to OP as I understand this is a new to her and her new to RVs situation. A MH that old is gonna need a ton of upkeep.

In my Y2K RV, I am glad my fuel pump crapped out! The repair place in New Castle, CA fixed an issue with vent line to the fuel tank (or whatever) in the process. I can now put in almost twice as much fuel into the tank without the gas station pump shutting off. That old RV now has about a 500 mile range on a tank of gasoline, where I used to get less than 300.

It wasn't an obvious problem until fixed. The fuel gauge used to be right below the full mark (with ~30 gallons of gas?) and the pump would shut off. But the fuel gauge would start dropping in a few miles. Now when I fill the tank, it goes way past the "full" mark and it takes a 150 miles before it is no longer pinned. At first I thought my fuel gauge was stuck pinned, but it was that I was getting another 20 or so gallons in the tank.

On the downside it costs me twice as much to fill the tank than it used to just after the repair. :) But now I often go more than 400 miles between fill-ups.

-Don- Reno, NV

I do believe she was here a couple days ago with a battery problem. this may have something to do with electrical, maybe altenator.
I was thinking the same and that thread is here, which makes the electrical side suspect, especially if it will not crank. The 460 went to fuel injection in 1988 so a fuel pump could cause the shutdown, but it would not prevent the starter from turning the engine over. That same thing would be true if the electronics module or coil were to fail.

Since the posts were made yesterday, I would assume that she has been towed to a shop by now so hopefully she will come back and update us.

I know I am super late with this thread but might save you some money with the mechanic by staying alert on their tricks. Only two things can cause it the way you described your situation. Fuel pump related (power to the pump, relay issue, fuse etc) or sensor issue(engine heat sensor, oil pressure sensor, loose contacts etc). Just leaving the info out so that someone will be helped in future.

Thank you ALL so much for your replies. Update is i got towed next day back to my space and still need to fix her. It has to be electrical. Batteries taken to autozone for recharging, they said they could only charge up to 80%, took to a friend, put on his slow charger, they showed to be 96% charged??? Who knows whats up. 2 months ago, i had installed brand new batteries, brand new fuel pump, fuel filter, gas tank dropped and installed, it has brand new parts installed in the engine. New fuel injectors, spark plugs, hoses, fuses, wires etc.... i need to clean up those connections to the batteries and power wash away the grime and gunk and see clearly what is wrong. What engine just dies on the road, no sputtering and no chugging, just died. It tried to crank over but didnt turn on. I reinstalled the batteries and leave for one night, come back, my entire system is dead, no trying to crank or anything, now i live in a box.

Scards, the courtesy of an update will be appreciated. Thanks!
Thank you, ive just been so involved with this thing, i think i have the incorrect batteries. It has to be electrical, it has a new fuel pump and fuel filter and injectors, alternator was testing good 2 months ago.what are the right batteries for a 1990 fleetwood southwind??

- does engine crank over?
- does it try to fire?
- if nothing is happening, likely a major fuse somewhere as no electric power for engine/engine circuit
It did try to fire over and it did try to crank over, all cabin lights and fridge worked, but after 2 days, everything stopped working and the engine didnt even try to start anymore, what size and type of batteries are for a 1990 fleetwood southwind??

Ok if after 2 days the lights stopped your converter is not converting.
As for the engine issues... Not something I can do hands off
I forget gas or diesel
Gas you need air, fuel, properly mixed, compression and spark
Diesel air, fuel properly mixed compression and heat, depending on the weather the heat of compression should be enough.

Indeed, if you are plugged shore power the batteries should be getting charged via converter, but for what you described, they aren't.

Not only the power converter; if it died on the road like that, the alternator is likely not working properly and the chassis battery got discharged as well.

Ok if after 2 days the lights stopped your converter is not converting.
As for the engine issues... Not something I can do hands off
I forget gas or diesel
Gas you need air, fuel, properly mixed, compression and spark
Diesel air, fuel properly mixed compression and heat, depending on the weather the heat of compression should be enough.
Im not plugged into outside electricity, and it runs on reg gas, i dont even know how to use an inverter AND a converter or know the difference, i dont even know which batteries are house, starter, 12v or 6v, ive got 3 dead ones, that much i know. I dont know what an alternator does, it tested to be working 2 months ago, i dont know by using what will kill the batteries, and im just overwhelmed by too much to take in, what batteries am i supposed to have in this thing 6v or 12v, ive got 3 dead ones is all i know....

Sorry for your problems. You should find a mobile mechanic to come look at your system and determine what is wrong, or what you need to do. For sure, without being plugged in your batteries will deplete.

This site has a manual for your rig, you might want to download it. Note that the page numbers online slightly differ from actual page numbers in the manual.

The link should take you to page 27 which shows battery info...

My son had a Cadillac some 20+ years ago. The battery went dead every day. We would charge the battery and overnight the battery would go dead. Some friends from New Zealand were in town and he owned an auto electrical shop. He found the problem in about 5 minutes. The car had an auto leveling system that for some reason was stuck in the on position, even with the ignition off.

My son had a Cadillac some 20+ years ago. The battery went dead every day. We would charge the battery and overnight the battery would go dead. Some friends from New Zealand were in town and he owned an auto electrical shop. He found the problem in about 5 minutes. The car had an auto leveling system that for some reason was stuck in the on position, even with the ignition off.
Thank you for sharing that, it just goes to show ya that it could be something totally simple and im not the one to determine that so i definitely need the one who can. Thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom