Help! RV registration issues CO to CA via FL...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keikimo

Hi! 
We are total rookies and need serious guidance in how to register an RV (02' Alfa) from CO that is currently in FL with expired tags AND insurance! 
Long story but my elderly in-laws are "gifting" it to us and we fly out in two days to drive it California.  Over the course of the week, we have learned that not only are the CO tags expired, so is the insurance.  We will have the Title transferred however, I don't believe our insurance will cover an unregistered vehicle and or that we can register the RV once we get it to CA (and actually pass emissions...) without insurance.  Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
Thank you!
KMW

You?re going to need to visit the FL motor vehicles dept with the title duly signed by your in-laws (and if required in FL, notarized). The DMV will then issue a new title in your name at which point you can register it in FL, probably using your in-laws? address. At that point you?ll have no trouble getting insurance. Once you get it to CA you can then register in CA. You can inquire with the FL DMV as to whether you can get a temporary plate rather than register it in FL; while dealers can issue these I don?t know if the DMV does.

I would call the California DMV and see if you can title/register and get plated, then do smog when you return. Although California is a PITA to deal with.  Since the vehicle is register in CO can you get your relatives to reregister it and insure it on your dime then fedex the paperwork to you in Florida?
Secondly I worry about the tires under the 02 Alfa that has set for awhile.
I would question how old they are.
It is a long trip and RV tires deteriorate rapidly when left sitting for long periods. So when you get there you will need to see if the tires are covered and if they are over 5-6 years old. A blowout could cost you thousands of dollars.

Love the Alfa it was/is a good coach
SEE YA

Since you don't intend to keep it in Florida, I see no reason to deal with the Florida DMV or get a Florida title.  Have your folks renew the registration in COlorado and you/they can get insurance for it BEFORE you go to Florida.  If you don't have the paperwork done, defer your trip!  By the way, I don't think there is any problem insuring a vehicle with no current registration plates. People keep insurance on stored vehicles all the time.

Then when you get it back to CA, you can deal with the title  transfer, smog testing, etc.

Yes, Gary has the correct path to follow, I missed the part where the vehicle was titled in CO so indeed it would make no sense to do anything with FL

You ALL are so wonderful!  Thank you!  My understanding is that the RV would need to do the emissions test in CO to reregister and that the title owner needs to do that.  In the meanwhile, their insurance lapsed 6months ago.  They are not able to travel for health reasons to do these things.  We were considering going through CO to do this (on their behalf and deal with transferring title at a later date) but then with the insurance issue we are thinking that everything needs to be done in our name.  Our insurance will not cover an unregistered RV... 

@darsben, new tires and I'm having an RV shop change the oil and check fluids and replace filters... It's a gem of an RV we just need to get through this paperwork! 

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Since you don't intend to keep it in Florida, I see no reason to deal with the Florida DMV or get a Florida title.  Have your folks renew the registration in COlorado and you/they can get insurance for it BEFORE you go to Florida.  If you don't have the paperwork done, defer your trip!  By the way, I don't think there is any problem insuring a vehicle with no current registration plates. People keep insurance on stored vehicles all the time.

Then when you get it back to CA, you can deal with the title  transfer, smog testing, etc.

While Gary is correct with respect to insurance on a stored vehicle, when you bring it back to California, it is no longer a stored vehicle.  Insurance premiums are based on a number of things, but the starting point in determining the premium is garaging location.  So while registering the motorhome in Colorado and insuring it there is one solution, I would check with the California DMV regarding registering it as a California vehicle and then finding insurance locally.  If I'm not mistaken, California has a provision for a temporary registration pending required smog.  It is possible a 2002 Diesel may not require a smog check.  If that works, you've saved a fair amount of time and expense. 

Our insurance will not cover an unregistered RV... 
Not sure what "our insurance" you are referring to, but RV insurance is different coverage than house or car insurance.  It's not like adding another car to an existing policy - you need RV specific coverage.  Further, most states require that any vehicle have insurance in order to receive tags (be registered), so insuring a vehicle with no tgs ought to be a normal thing.  Are you getting your info from the CO DMV, or second hand?
If CO requires an inspection for that class of vehicle, that could be a problem. Ask at the DMV about out-of-state vehicles. Many states have a way to handle that situation, but the clerks at the local office may not be aware of it, so you may have to ask for a supervisor or contact the department headquarters.
Florida does not have an inspection requirement, so that's an alternative.  However, you then have to meet Florida title and registration requirements, so would need to learn about them.    CA title and reg is also an alternative, if there is a way through their maze of inspection and title/tag rules.
And then there are sales or excise taxes or special fees that may apply when you bring a new vehicle into  state. Be sure to ask about those before choosing CO or FL as a steppingstone to your ultimate CA title.

A 2002 diesel rv in California doesn't require smog, but may need to have RV Vin verified by law enforcement. Go to Ca DMV if you are in Northern CA go to NAPA DMV they may give you one of the temporary permit to move vehicle. Insurance may be an issue.

keikimo, you may want to also check https://groups.io/g/alfaseeya/topics which has a lot of Alfa specific information.  In addition to this forum, the Alfa group can be of great help to you as you get used to your Alfa.

Back
Top Bottom